It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
(female)

dizziedame HB User
Unhappy Gastroscopy

Hi All

Yesterday I had my 3rd gastroscopy, I was expecting it to be as comfortable and non eventful as the other two, but not so much. The first two I had here in my home town, it was in the hospital early morning, and the doctor was a warm and lovely person, allowed questions, made light conversation and just made me feel very relaxed and cared about. I remember that he didn't insert the scope until after I was sedated and I was not completely put under but wasn't all that aware of anything and no discomfort. It was an okay experience and I left without incident and don't remember feeling to uncomfortable the following day.

This 3rd one was a whole different story, I had to go outside my home town to see a surgeon who does Nissan Fundiplication, and so the first test I was told to get was the scope, however, he does his scoping at a center, not a hospital. My appointment was for 11:45 am, and when you can't eat or drink after midnight prior you get pretty hungry and dry I didn't get in to have the procedure until 12:00 noon and I was feeling awful by that time. The nurses were very young but very nice, thank God for them. I was somewhat relaxed because I thought the scope would be somewhat the same here at this clinic as it was in the hospital. The doctor came in and he was as personable as a door hinge, didn't make eye contact with me, no relaxing words of any kind, and a straight, lets get this over with, look on his face. He asked me to open my mouth so he could spray the numbing spray into it and in doing so he lost the long piece on the front of it and the stuff ran down my face. No "I'm sorry's"..no apology of any kind, just put the piece back on, and said very dryly "open please", at least there was a please..lol.

I didn't know that I was going to be put to sleep, I assumed it would be the same sort of sedation I had the first two times in which I was aware but didn't really care what was going on, but I thought that was okay anyway. While waiting for other doctor to come in to give me the anesthetic, Dr. personality stood there with the scope in full view of me with the gel on the end just waiting and saying nothing. So here I was examing this scope thinking, wow, that looks intimidating, I don't remember the other doctor here in town, showing me anything at all. Just then the other doctor came in introduced himself and said I would be asleep in 10 seconds, Dr. personality asked me to open my mouth first BEFORE the anesthetic took effect and proceeded to put the scope partly into my throat. I remember gagging so much while he was doing that, and for a few seconds I felt panicked and he asked me to swallow, I was thinking HOW I"M GAGGING MORON. Then mercifully I went to sleep. When I woke up I was not impressed at all, although, once again, I was cared for by a really sweet nurse. The recovery room was as as cold as a refrigerator, and I was glad to get out of there.

I guess I felt so horrid about that today that I felt like just getting it out here, so I hope no one minds. I don't really have a question but I do wonder if anyone else here was treated in such a rude way, or am I just being to sensitive, the whole thing just didn't sit well with me. I know doctors can't all be the same, but sheesh, at least be somewhat human to your patients. Today I have a sore throat, which I knew about, but I have a stomach ache I didn't have the last couple times, and the cramping I had when I got home was awful, but that two has past. I just got the impression that this guy didn't care what sort of uncomfortable things happen to me or anyone else during or after. I can imagine him cramming the scope in and looking around, maybe snipping without being careful, pumping air in, who cares how much...lol. Likely not the case, but you know what I mean, you see a guy like that and these things just go through your head

I find what ever I eat today hurts on the way down and I feel like I have a golf ball stuck in my throat. Hopefully that will pass, however, I 'm wonder if I even want this guy to operate on my stomach at all, the jury's out on that one. I suppose just because he's miserable, doesn't mean he's not a good surgeon, it just kind of doesn't leave a good taste in your mouth, no pun intended.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User
Re: Gastroscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizziedame View Post
Hi All

Yesterday I had my 3rd gastroscopy, I was expecting it to be as comfortable and non eventful as the other two, but not so much. The first two I had here in my home town, it was in the hospital early morning, and the doctor was a warm and lovely person, allowed questions, made light conversation and just made me feel very relaxed and cared about. I remember that he didn't insert the scope until after I was sedated and I was not completely put under but wasn't all that aware of anything and no discomfort. It was an okay experience and I left without incident and don't remember feeling to uncomfortable the following day.

This 3rd one was a whole different story, I had to go outside my home town to see a surgeon who does Nissan Fundiplication, and so the first test I was told to get was the scope, however, he does his scoping at a center, not a hospital. My appointment was for 11:45 am, and when you can't eat or drink after midnight prior you get pretty hungry and dry I didn't get in to have the procedure until 12:00 noon and I was feeling awful by that time. The nurses were very young but very nice, thank God for them. I was somewhat relaxed because I thought the scope would be somewhat the same here at this clinic as it was in the hospital. The doctor came in and he was as personable as a door hinge, didn't make eye contact with me, no relaxing words of any kind, and a straight, lets get this over with, look on his face. He asked me to open my mouth so he could spray the numbing spray into it and in doing so he lost the long piece on the front of it and the stuff ran down my face. No "I'm sorry's"..no apology of any kind, just put the piece back on, and said very dryly "open please", at least there was a please..lol.

I didn't know that I was going to be put to sleep, I assumed it would be the same sort of sedation I had the first two times in which I was aware but didn't really care what was going on, but I thought that was okay anyway. While waiting for other doctor to come in to give me the anesthetic, Dr. personality stood there with the scope in full view of me with the gel on the end just waiting and saying nothing. So here I was examing this scope thinking, wow, that looks intimidating, I don't remember the other doctor here in town, showing me anything at all. Just then the other doctor came in introduced himself and said I would be asleep in 10 seconds, Dr. personality asked me to open my mouth first BEFORE the anesthetic took effect and proceeded to put the scope partly into my throat. I remember gagging so much while he was doing that, and for a few seconds I felt panicked and he asked me to swallow, I was thinking HOW I"M GAGGING MORON. Then mercifully I went to sleep. When I woke up I was not impressed at all, although, once again, I was cared for by a really sweet nurse. The recovery room was as as cold as a refrigerator, and I was glad to get out of there.

I guess I felt so horrid about that today that I felt like just getting it out here, so I hope no one minds. I don't really have a question but I do wonder if anyone else here was treated in such a rude way, or am I just being to sensitive, the whole thing just didn't sit well with me. I know doctors can't all be the same, but sheesh, at least be somewhat human to your patients. Today I have a sore throat, which I knew about, but I have a stomach ache I didn't have the last couple times, and the cramping I had when I got home was awful, but that two has past. I just got the impression that this guy didn't care what sort of uncomfortable things happen to me or anyone else during or after. I can imagine him cramming the scope in and looking around, maybe snipping without being careful, pumping air in, who cares how much...lol. Likely not the case, but you know what I mean, you see a guy like that and these things just go through your head

I find what ever I eat today hurts on the way down and I feel like I have a golf ball stuck in my throat. Hopefully that will pass, however, I 'm wonder if I even want this guy to operate on my stomach at all, the jury's out on that one. I suppose just because he's miserable, doesn't mean he's not a good surgeon, it just kind of doesn't leave a good taste in your mouth, no pun intended.
Sorry you had such a bad time, but I have to report my second one was worse. I had the spray and sedation, but not enough. I coughed and retched throughout and became extremely distressed. Never again will I allow them to stuff a huge tube down my throat I'd rather die.

Last edited by JanaJ; 11-10-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
(female)

dizziedame HB User
Re: Gastroscopy

Oh no!! That sounds horrid, sorry you to had such a bad time with it. I believe if a doctor cares enough about comfort, it doesn't have to be such a traumatic event. Actually, yours sounds worse then mine I can't believe they would allow you to be so uncomfortable geez. Sometimes procedures are far worse then having gerd I think.

Reply Reply