It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
(male)

DarknessDew HB User
Exclamation why medicines are not working ?? please help sufferers !!!!

Hello all
My name is Zeyad Zaghloul
I was diagnosed to suffer from LPR ( laro-pharngeal reflux ), which makes me have chronic throat inflammations or probably cricopharngal muscle spasm. ( in addition i have small hiatial hernia )
and i have this complain since five years but it developed worse this last year or more that i can no more bear it.

My only symptom or most painful one is a feeling of something stuck in my throat as if someone is closing his hand around my neck or putting his finger in my throat and the feeling is very similar to as if there is very stick phlegm ( mucus ) stuck in my throat that i cannot swallow or spit it up
it is a very bad feeling that was present 24 hours , 7 days
this feeling is chronic, i feel it each second in my life and i constantly try to swallow what i feel stuck in my throat but useless
the feeling is awful, that it totally prevents me from sleeping and thus developing more symptoms which are even worse ( usually fainting and dizziness ) beside many other things
( in addition i constantly need to clear my throat SPECIALLY after eating )

i am currently taking 4 medicines :

Pantozol 20mg ( once daily )
Ranitic 300mg ( once daily )
Gaviscon Advanced ( twice daily )
Nasonex spray ( once daily )

i have been prescribed these drugs since about two month ago
and today is day number fifty ( day 50 ) since i have started treatment or i mean taking these drugs

the problem is that after 50 days of taking these drugs i feel no single difference in that feeling in my throat, the same symptom is in there
and when i ask my doctor about this he says that i need three months for treatment, so my question in your experience for those who had LPR

did any of you feel a change or get better on medicines ??
and how long did this take ??
also what about the surgeries done to correct this ??
how successful are these surgeries ?? did you try it ??
is the surgery worth doing it ??

i will be very grateful for replies
thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
(male)

Tandem Rider HB UserTandem Rider HB UserTandem Rider HB UserTandem Rider HB User
Re: why medicines are not working ?? please help sufferers !!!!

For 10 years I took PPIs. Most would work for a few months and then stop working. I would switch PPIs and start over. Finally, I got on Nexium which worked and did not seem to loose effectiveness. Naturally, it was the most expensive.

A year and a half ago I had the TIF and have not been on any medicine since my surgery.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
(male)

DarknessDew HB User

Hello Tandem
first of all many thanks for your reply

second,
how well did TIF work for you ?
and what was your symptoms ??
heartburn or lump in throat as mine ?

Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
(male)

dejm1 HB User

Were you tested for EE / eosinophilic esophagitis if you had an endoscopy? I have that condition right now - in fact just got my endoscopy results back yesterday and my EE count was quite high, around 300 - and had many similar symptoms as acid reflux/Gerd and was taking meds for it, which really did not seem to help. I was tested at one point and had many food allergies.

I guess you had a specific diagnosis, but you never know... I also had the throat issues and no luck with PPIs (Nexium, Prilosec, etc.)

Old 11-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
(male)

DarknessDew HB User

yes i have done endoscopy about a year ago and it turned up normal just said that there is little reflux
and from about 5 years i also have done an endoscopy after i had bursted appendix removal surgery and also showed the same
then i have done a barrium swallow test which showed that i have weak reflux and small hiatial hernia

ok please tell me how good was the surgery you have done in relieving your throat issue of the feeling of something stuck in it ?????
i mean did your throat feel normal again after this surgery ??
please do let me know
many thanks in advanced

Old 11-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi dew, In my experience, all proton pump inhibitors(pantazole) nor H2 inhibitors(ranitidine) work the same on every person. Yes, you have to take these a certain time before it works completely. I think, in my opinion, that i would call or go to the dr and ask if you need to try different medications. For example, like me omeprazole(ppi) & famotidine(h2inhibitor) work better. My mom & son too. We all take different ones. Also, in " search" section @ the top of posts listed in this board, put in LPR or LSN. I saw some very interesting posts concerning this problem & new approaches to therapy. However, dont do anything without your drs approval & recommendation! The surgery is a last resort & not always fixes the problem from all that I have researched for a friend that has LPR? In my opinion it seems so & the surgery seems very serious. I think its when all other options have been exhausted, like every medicine, test, treatment etc has failed & you cant eat at all. This was my impression. I hope you get relief soon. And, it helps to talk to others who have same problem. You will find that here. Thank you.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
(male)

lprguy HB User

Hi there! You should try reading more on Laryngeal sensory neuropathy, vagus nerve and how they affect the LPR. You can also try Vitamin D3 and neurotransmitters (consult your doc). Do you have any stress/anxiety, do you remember the day when it all started?

Reply Reply

Tags
acid reflux hoarseness, hiatis hernia, lpr (laryngopharyngeal reflux), lump in throat, nissen fundoplication