It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 03:23 AM   #1
(female)

NoMoreReflux HB User
Question Has anyone tried to this approach to getting off PPI drugs?

I have been on prilosec for many years. I have tried numerous times to get off it but the rebound is always more than I can take. But lately, when I am on it, I feel like my digestion is now so impaired that while I am fine for 1-3 hours after I eat, I have horrible reflux (I call it intestinal reflux) in the 4-5 hour timeframe and at night. That causes the rebound to be even worse. So I am now trying to take HCL/pepsin with my meals. My stomach is so irritated from all the reflux, that I can't take too many pills just yet, but it seems to be helping. My hope is that eventually this will fake my system into returning to normal digestion and then I can stop the prilosec. This may be similar to how apple cider vinegar works and I do plan to incorporate that and bitters in to my regime. I know it seems crazy to buy acid blockers and then take acid. But whatever works, I am willing to try. Anyone else try this? I am also doing this along with trying different diets, gluten free, etc. to see how that helps.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
(male)

Thully HB User
Re: Has anyone tried to this approach to getting off PPI drugs?

Interestingly enough, I have the same thing. I'm on Prilosec and take ACV and Betaine-HCl with meals.

During and for an hour after meals, I actually feel relief, but it's the reflux a few hours later that is murdersome. PPIs have lessened the burn, but it still annoys me that I wouldn't get reflux when pressure on my LES is highest during meals, but instead get the reflux that shows up later when you'd think there wouldn't be enough stuff in my stomach to push it up. "Intestinal reflux" sounds very appropriate.

To be honest, I don't think we'll ever be able to wean completely off PPIs. My strategy has been to cycle off of it every few weeks to try and digest food better with the rebound. Is there some reason why you're determined to get off Prilosec?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
(female)

NoMoreReflux HB User

My reason is twofold i have been reading several books that make the case against PPI drugs but mostly it is based on my theory that better digestion would alleviate the night time reflux Thoughts?

Old 11-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
(female)

mortylaine HB User

Have you tried Bicarb of soda? 1/4 teaspoon in water when you start to feel the reflux will neutralize the acid. most of my clients with this problem now swear by it!
Make sure it is the aluminium free one though!
Elaine

Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

Most of us start PPI's because of the pain and suffering of reflux, that is typically how you get some relief. So going off them....

The logic that you have reflux hours after eating is that the food triggers acid production which in turn signals the esophageal sphincter to tighten, then as your food is digested and moves on to the intestines the sphincter relaxes. If the sphincter didn't tighten when food enters the stomach you would get acid and food coming back up. That does happen occasionally if you burp.

There is always residual acid in the stomach and now it gets the chance to work it's way up when the food has moved into the intestines and the sphincter relaxes. It can come up as a liquid or mix in with the air in the esophagus and irritate everything including your lungs , your sinus etc.. At night your saliva production slows dramatically so there is little to wash the acid away, you swallow little during sleep. So theoretically taking HCL or even acid based vinegar could trigger the sphincter to tighten, however it does mean you are putting acid into your stomach when it has nothing to digest, that could lead to problems as well.

The issue for most of us is the sphincter just doesn't work as well as it used to, that's why those who have surgery don't come back here often. My understanding is about 90% of fundoplication surgery is successful in the view of the patient, the reflux is gone so most don't show up here to post unless they have issues. Sometimes this disease is just something simple, the esophageal sphincter just doesn't do it's job.

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnah For This Useful Post:
NoMoreReflux (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
(female)

NoMoreReflux HB User

I have not tried bicarb of soda. Does it make sense to drink that before bedtime?

Old 11-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
(female)

NoMoreReflux HB User

I am not ready to try surgery just yet. But that explanation makes a lot of sense to me. I can go for years and have no problems but then something (probably stress) triggers it and I will suffer for 6 months until it passes. On the acid note, I only take it with meals to replace the acid that the PPI is supressing. And so far, only 1 or 2 HCL/pepsin pills depending on how much protein is in the meal.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

Makes some sense if HCL works for you, it would quickly be consumed by the food so if your taking it with meals probably could aid and abet the digestive track in working on the food.

Myself I have taken Pepcid prescription strength for years because of gastritis. Eating the wrong stuff, stress at work etc.. I have been retired for awhile so much of that is gone and now with the reflux I have eliminated almost all of the bad stuff like coffee, sweets, etc.. My stomach seems to be in good shape , I still add a Pepcid in mid afternoon and at bedtime to my Dexilant though to dampen the reflux. Sugar really seems to set my reflux off, ticks me off to eliminate all the sweet stuff in life. I still have a occasional cup of decaf coffee, maybe once a week.

Reply Reply