It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
(female)

lagger HB User
Flare up, now taste bile!

I got my Acid reflux under control this summer by taking Nexium in the morning, then Ranitadine at night. I felt very good, but then a follow up visit to the doctor he said I needed to ween off the Ranitadine as the body can get used to it, but can go on it again. I had a couple days where it was rough and took tums before bed, then felt fine! I had no acid at night. I was eating dairy, wheat, started back on coffee, drank alcohol, felt "me" again.

Then a few weeks ago (I have another post) I had a day where I hadn't eaten much, had popcorn at a movie, then went to dinner and had a beer too, was quite full already, then had a DQ small Blizzard where now I was super full! The next day I felt more acid in my mouth, then it was pouring up again. I started back on the Ranitadine and popping tums here and there too. Was feeling a bit better this last week.

So, this weekend I had a few outings. Friday night I had 3 whiskey drinks, Saturday day had half a glass of wine, Saturday night had 2 beers. Sunday I started to taste some bile in the back of my mouth! It wasn't as bad as if I burped it up, but I could taste it. Then by Monday was having pains in my stomach where I could feel burning, as if I felt the bile coming up. Was like this yesterday too, then last night I woke up after an hour of sleep to more acid/bile in my mouth. Back to sleep for an hour, then woke up again to pain. I tried to prop myself up better, tried to calm down (I should have popped some tums). Anyway, I was up for 2 1/2 hours because of the pain and the anxiety.

Today I am so tired and can't even drink coffee because I cut it out a couple days ago.

Is this normal? I read that bile is just another acid that comes up from the stomach, but also read it can be an issue with "bile reflux" and can't really be treated other than lifestyle.

I am so sad. I felt like with the Nexium I was "cured". My insurance doesn't pay for it, so I have to pay $200/month....and was ready to do this just so I could feel normal/better. My doctor and nurse say Nexium is the best drug out there. But, I see many people on here with other drugs, which makes me wonder that Nexium really doesn't work all the time or that doctors start people on a lower PPI, so that if it does get worse then Nexium would be next?

Any advice would be great! This is still all new to me. I was ready to get into the holiday season with not worrying about eating and drinking.

The following user gives a hug of support to lagger:
LadySue62 (11-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
(female)

lagger HB User
Re: Flare up, now taste bile!

And....forgot to also mention....I got a cold about a month ago which turned into asthma for me (this is normal). Then as it was going away, got another cold, back to asthma. So, a lot of mucous in there from the asthma trying to come up, acid trying to come up, so not sure if all this is too much on me, then that got the bile going?

Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
(female)

anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User

I have that bile taste too, at times. It is awful.
For my situation, I found eliminating dairy and vitamins helps a little.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
(female)

LadySue62 HB User

Lagger, I went off omeprazole (Prilosec) after being on it for 3 months and felt no ill effects whatsoever. I've rarely experienced heartburn or acid taste but I know I have LPR because of the chronic post nasal drip and sore throat. At it's worst I had sinusitis and asthma-like symptoms. What helped me the most was eliminating coffee, alcohol, wheat, dairy and spicy foods. I also take high quality probiotics and digestive enzymes. Since I've been feeling better, I started drinking/eating those foods again and the PND is more noticeable. I wouldn't look for a magic pill to cure you. Food is your best medicine. Eating right and doing the bad stuff in moderation will go a long way in helping you feel better.

Reply Reply