It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
(female)

Ash84 HB User
Question If not GERD than what?

I have a case of GERD that doen't fit the typical profile. I do not have heartburn but when I eat it feels as though food is getting stuck in my throat and eventually it gets to where I can no longer eat and the food just comes back up. The weird thing is it is only certain foods and liquids and not everything. The only thing I found I can drink is clear liquids such as sprite,ginger ale, mountain dew. I can hardly drink water unless it is to replenish myself after excercising. Chicken is the main food I can keep down but not always. I can eat all the spicy food I want and it doesnt have an effect on me. I think I have a mild lactose intolorence to milk and ice cream but I can eat cheese or yogurt without any problem. I was first diagnosed with GERD in 09 and put on Reglan which helped but I had heard so many bad things about this drug that I weened myself off of it and started taking Prilosec OTC which worked for a while. In 2012 my symptoms came back worse than ever and I had an eosophageal motility test and upper EDG done. Both of these came back normal, and the Dr. said there was nothing wrong wth my GI system and that I did not have GERD. and they took biopsies and tested for Eosinophilic esophogitis which were also normal. The Dr. basically told me that my migraines which I have maybe one every few months were what was causing this. He put me on Prevacid which seemed to help for a couple months but now my symptoms are starting to return again. I tested myself for H Pylori and that was also negative. I am beginning to wonder if maybe I have a digestive enzyme defiency because I have run out of any other ideas. Is anyone else going through this or have any suggestions of to what my next step should be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
(female)

anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User
Re: If not GERD than what?

I often have food (esp. breads or if I eat too quick) get stuck - I can feel the food taking a long time to go down - sometimes almost to the point of getting sick. It sounds like your situation happens more frequently than mine, yet I can relate in many ways. I found out that any seltzer or carbonated drinks can severally cause problems for reflux and going right up - like I can't swallow it at all. It does seem surprising the tests were normal given your symptoms. Did they say anything about a hiatal hernia? Years ago, my friend had surgery to tighten some spinchter or something because food was always getting stuck in his throat. I hope someone help help you identify what is going on.

The Following User Says Thank You to anotherpatty For This Useful Post:
Ash84 (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
(female)

Ash84 HB User
Re: If not GERD than what?

I have been doing somemore research and I am wondering if maybe it is more of a stomach issue. I am thinking maybe gastroperesis, mainly because for the last two years I have noticed that I get full very early in a meal, as in even if it is just a combo meal at a fast food place, I always can only eat half of it. The being able to only drink clear liquids has just recently happened and the carbonation doesn't matter because I am able to drink mellow yellow, ginger ale, and mountain dew. It just seems to be coke and dr. pepper that doesn't agree with me. It also seems to be a gravitational thing because if I just bend over the toilet and open my mouth then the food just comes out and sometimes it hasn't been digested at all. Back to the gastroperesis thing, Reglan is supposed to be the only med to help control it and when I took it awhile back my symptoms totally dissappeared. I feel like the GI doctor is not taking me serious and I feel like this is a hopeless situation.

Reply Reply

Tags
confused, food stuck, lactose intolerance, reflux, regurgitation