It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
(male)

anfieldkid HB User
Acid Reflux questions

Hi

I was on beta-blockers for 3 weeks to control my Blood Pressure which was 160/90 at the time. Its 3 weeks later and my Blood pressure seems under control at 130/80.

One of the side effects of taking beta-blockers is to develop a sore throat which unfortunately I got during that time period which led to inflamattion of my throat.

I saw an ENT and he said I have mild acid reflux so he put me on Omeprazole for 4 weeks. First 2 weeks I take twice a day 20mg and next 2 weeks just once a day.

My questions are:

1. What are the COMMON side effects?

2. I generally wake up quite late due to having a flexible job which requires me to sometimes work into the night. So If I say wake up at 11am - take the 1 tablet - eat breakfast . My question is the 2nd tablet of the day the ENT said to take before dinner but "dinner" is essentially at 7pm which is 8hours later. What time should I be taking the 2nd tablet? Is the 8 hour gap okay or should it be 12 hour gap?

3. After taking the tablet at what time can I eat? I have read that you can eat immediately after, some say 30 minutes some say wait an hour. Which is the correct answer here?

Thanks!!!

Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User
Re: Acid Reflux questions

I understand that a PPI is best taken on an empty stomach. I take one on waking and one just before retiring. I eat my evening meal early enough that my stomach is empty again before going to bed.

Last edited by JanaJ; 11-15-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

The proton pumps become active when you eat, therefore it is most effective to take proton pump inhibitors shortly before you are going to eat.

I take mine about 20 minutes before breakfast, and another about 11 hours later before a light snack in the evening.

If you are no longer on beta blockers and you think your symptoms were caused by the beta blockers, you are probably best waiting to see how you are now that you have removed the trigger. It may be that you do not need to take PPIs and you will get better in a couple of weeks without medication.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User

My proton pumps are active at night and when I think about eating.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
(male)

anfieldkid HB User

So basically If I take one at 11am than eat breakfast 20-30minutes later.

Than take at 7pm when its dinner . Is that okay? The gap between the first tablet is 8 hours, does it matter if its 8hours or must it be 12 hours?

Old 11-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

These drugs enter your system within an hour of taking, most often the recommendation is to take it 1/2 hr minimum before eating. The drug actually inhibits acid secretion for up to 24 hrs so when you take the next dose really doesn't matter a whole lot as long it is somewhere in that 8-12 hr range and take it a 1/2 hr prior to eating , optimally 1 hr before eating.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaJ View Post
My proton pumps are active at night and when I think about eating.
Yes, they are also activated by the thought, sight, smell of food, as well as eating.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anfieldkid View Post
So basically If I take one at 11am than eat breakfast 20-30minutes later.

Than take at 7pm when its dinner . Is that okay? The gap between the first tablet is 8 hours, does it matter if its 8hours or must it be 12 hours?
Work out what works best for you, the gap doesn't have to be exactly 12 hours. There is some evidence to suggest that splitting your doses, one before breakfast, one before dinner will give greater acid suprssion than the same amount in one dose. But it really is a personal thing.

Ref: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2855237/

Old 11-20-2012, 03:27 AM   #9
(male)

anfieldkid HB User

Cool thanks for the replies guys appreciate it.

Going into my 2nd week now- no side effects that Ive picked up yet, touch wood!

Old 11-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
(male)

anfieldkid HB User

Ive been on Omeprazole for 2 weeks now. I have a massive headache tonight Im not sure if its caused by the Omeprazole or from something else but my question is :

Is it safe to take paracetomol (panado) with the omeprazole if my head is sore?

Old 11-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Anfieldkid, I'm sure it is 'safe' to take paracetamol with Omeprazole, but I already sense you are going down the same slippery slope I went down... taking one drug, that caused side effects.. taking something else.. and ultimately risking ending up worse.

Have a think. You said in your original post that you have mild reflux, and that it may have been caused by beta blockers. You have stopped the beta blockers, why not give yourself time to see if the reflux will resolve without Omeprazole.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
(male)

anfieldkid HB User

I understand what you are saying.

Im off the beta-blockers was on it for 3 weeks. The side effects have slowly gone but 1 or 2 linger.

The reason Im taking Omeprazole is because Ive seen the ENT twice, yes not once, TWICE. He told me to take it because my throat was inflammed than I didnt I went back 2 weeks later. He checked it again and said if anything its gotten worse, thats why Im taking them....

Reply Reply