It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 04:51 AM   #1
(female)

friend1 HB User
has anybody had any bad side effects to omprazole

hiya everybody
has anybody having bad side affects to omprazole
i first had these tablets in about argust time to treat gerd i was on 20 mg and was fine
the docs upped my dose 2 40mg about a mounth ago
and my liver function test came bk high
iv been generally feeling very unwell norsesers dizzeyness extreamley fateged even tho im on 3 iron tablets a day as i had bleeding down below that made me anymic but that probs been sorted know i had a hystroscaphy d and c and a coil vitted and every think is fine down there know the doc said i am only slightly anymic know my iron levels have gone bk up
my hair hasgone very brittle and is falling out i just really dont feel well at all
when i read the side afects it had these things listed

my gp has just refered me for an abdominal altrasound he thinks its my liver and goilbladder

i am very shocked that it could be my liver i am a total t total i do not drink at all as my mum had kidney falier and i lerned from a young age to look after my organs therefore i would not abuse my body with alchole
but it does say on the posible side affects that can affect liver function tests

i am going to docs mon for blood test to finish off the blood work that was ment to be done wed i was so unwell that i nearly passed out and she only managed 1 tube of blood wich was my liver and full blood count
so think i will make an appointment with my gp at the same time and mention that it could be tese tablets corsing this i really hope it is as feeling quite scared i have only just had a cancer scare with my endometrium linning being un normale very thick and had byopsys tacken but thankfully that has come backi ok i olso feel confused and floteyness feeling and d epressed as well

The following user gives a hug of support to friend1:
MountainReader (11-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User
Re: has anybody had any bad side affects to omprazole

Hi, yes I had similar side effects when I was increased from 20mg Omeprazole to 40mg. Can't say how my liver function was as I didnt have it tested at the time, but I had the dizziness, headaches, extreme exhaustion, painful legs and joints like very bad flu, tightness round the waist, tinnitus.... bloatedness so bad I could barely sit down.... I could go on..... and it all eased up when I reduced back down to 20mg!!!

Old 11-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I've been on all of the PPI's over the years. That one was one that I absolutely couldn't take. I ended up with severe "D" and permenant IBS after just a week on it.

I haven't had any side effects with any of the other PPI's.

I think it really is an individual thing as to how people react to different meds.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
(female)

friend1 HB User

thank u so much for your reply im really hoping it is these tablets corsing this i still have some 20 mg tablets left i took 1 of them today and feel a little better im really hoping it is this and not my liver iv been feeling so owful and was starting to really worried again

thank u so much for your reply i really apresiate it

Old 11-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
(female)

friend1 HB User

the doc tacken me off all med for ime being and see how i go im living on gaviscon
had alot of blood work done oday to see more closley whats going on wih my liver very scarey hey took 5 tubes from me
i do think it is this med has done this and i really hope i feel better soon
this experence has defentley made me really weary of tacking medication

Old 11-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Keep us posted!
Hope you feel better soon and get some answers.
I definately have learnt the hard way of the negative side to drugs, though I know they help people.

The Following User Says Thank You to kacyc For This Useful Post:
friend1 (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
(female)

friend1 HB User

thanks kacyc
how lond did it take for the side effects to wear of u
im really woried as i was tacking 20 mg scince argurst and 40 mg for a mounth and i just got worse and worse gd job i checked the side affects tha day as doc had upped the dose to 80 mg a day that day and thanckfully i diddnt tack it i think if i had i would of eventully at some point ended up in a and e i seem to react to alot of meds but i usulley feel ill as soon as i take them and dont take them again
but i just diddnt suspect these as i had seemed to be fine on 20mg
most prob get result of blood test tomorrow or thurs we usually get them pritty quick
i am waiting for letter for scan
so hopfully get more of a clearer picture soon

Old 11-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

It made me very dizzy, every time I stood up. Soon as I switched off it the dizziness was gone. Did get some achy feelings with it as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnah For This Useful Post:
friend1 (11-20-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by friend1 View Post
thanks kacyc
how lond did it take for the side effects to wear of u
im really woried as i was tacking 20 mg scince argurst and 40 mg for a mounth and i just got worse and worse gd job i checked the side affects tha day as doc had upped the dose to 80 mg a day that day and thanckfully i diddnt tack it i think if i had i would of eventully at some point ended up in a and e i seem to react to alot of meds but i usulley feel ill as soon as i take them and dont take them again
but i just diddnt suspect these as i had seemed to be fine on 20mg
most prob get result of blood test tomorrow or thurs we usually get them pritty quick
i am waiting for letter for scan
so hopfully get more of a clearer picture soon
I still have side effects as I am still taking ppis. But, all the side effects got worse when I went from taking 20mg to 40mg - thats when I realised they were side effects and not part of an illness.

The side effects have lessened and lessened as I gradually wean off the meds. They wanted to increase my dose too, but I refused as I know that what I need to do is get off them altogether, and that is what I am focused on doing!

The Following User Says Thank You to kacyc For This Useful Post:
friend1 (11-22-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
(female)

friend1 HB User

im feeling a bit better the dizzy daseyness and conusion has gone so has he cronic fatege
i will not be tacking them again
i seem ok just managing on gaviscone for the time being
i just really dont fancey trying anymore of these drugs
my stomoch is still very tender and swallen
still waiting blood results and letter for scan

Old 11-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

Not all PPI's give you the same side effects. I am taking Dexilant right now and it has very few side effects for me, nothing like Omeprazole. You may have to switch around to find one that works for you, plenty of them out there to try.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
(female)

Headrock HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by friend1 View Post
hiya everybody
has anybody having bad side affects to omprazole
i first had these tablets in about argust time to treat gerd i was on 20 mg and was fine
the docs upped my dose 2 40mg about a mounth ago
and my liver function test came bk high
iv been generally feeling very unwell norsesers dizzeyness extreamley fateged even tho im on 3 iron tablets a day as i had bleeding down below that made me anymic but that probs been sorted know i had a hystroscaphy d and c and a coil vitted and every think is fine down there know the doc said i am only slightly anymic know my iron levels have gone bk up
my hair hasgone very brittle and is falling out i just really dont feel well at all
when i read the side afects it had these things listed

my gp has just refered me for an abdominal altrasound he thinks its my liver and goilbladder

i am very shocked that it could be my liver i am a total t total i do not drink at all as my mum had kidney falier and i lerned from a young age to look after my organs therefore i would not abuse my body with alchole
but it does say on the posible side affects that can affect liver function tests

i am going to docs mon for blood test to finish off the blood work that was ment to be done wed i was so unwell that i nearly passed out and she only managed 1 tube of blood wich was my liver and full blood count
so think i will make an appointment with my gp at the same time and mention that it could be tese tablets corsing this i really hope it is as feeling quite scared i have only just had a cancer scare with my endometrium linning being un normale very thick and had byopsys tacken but thankfully that has come backi ok i olso feel confused and floteyness feeling and d epressed as well
Side Effects is a nice word for effects I think I have gotten from long term use of omeprazole 13yr. Two yrs ago i had to have iron infusions for 15 weeks. No apparent reason for it. Worked up scoped nothing. Iron saturation was 3,I was told it was probably a chronic anemis due to heavy periods. Since then I have been dx with polythycemia. My joints freeze and I have to stand still for mins to be able to walk. I have developed neuropathy in my feet and terrible discoloration, burning hurting. I am not a diabetic or have Coronary Artery disease. If you look on FDA web site for PPI long term use, There are so many terrible side effects. They are taking if to washington to try to get a Black Box placed on Boxs to warn people of side effects. This Drug was not intended to be used in treatment of Heartburn and surely not intended to be used longer than 14 weeks for its recomended use... I think PPIs have destroyed me I just pray if I can get through the hell of getting off them. If drug addiction is any worse I never want experience it. It is not Heartburn you are having when you try to come off it is acid rebound, The devil his self. Wean off these dont stop cold turkey. I thought I was dying. Weaned down everyother day and replaced with pepcid and cont weaning. I dont do anything now but intestinew a health food supplement and probiotics and digestive enzymes. also vitamins Folic acid mag supp. and melatonin. B12 sublingual to help stomach empty. I take Rolaids with burn. I really could see no difference in the foods I ate. No matter what it was it hurt. Stomach just make crazy amt acid. It is not used to making any with PPIs.
We need gastric secretions for vitamin binding, digestion so may reasons. I have read this will get better, Mine has got much better. I am thankful for tums or rolaid to control. I also beleive these class of drugs is what caused my father to almost be dx with alzheimers a few yrs back. Thank god he is ok we got him off PPIs his stomach started working and B12 and al vitamins are returning and yes he is back mentally. Praise God. It is all so scarey. They have been a Nightmare for us.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #13
(female)

Headrock HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headrock View Post
Side Effects is a nice word for effects I think I have gotten from long term use of omeprazole 13yr. Two yrs ago i had to have iron infusions for 15 weeks. No apparent reason for it. Worked up scoped nothing. Iron saturation was 3,I was told it was probably a chronic anemis due to heavy periods. Since then I have been dx with polythycemia. My joints freeze and I have to stand still for mins to be able to walk. I have developed neuropathy in my feet and terrible discoloration, burning hurting. I am not a diabetic or have Coronary Artery disease. If you look on FDA web site for PPI long term use, There are so many terrible side effects. They are taking if to washington to try to get a Black Box placed on Boxs to warn people of side effects. This Drug was not intended to be used in treatment of Heartburn and surely not intended to be used longer than 14 weeks for its recomended use... I think PPIs have destroyed me I just pray if I can get through the hell of getting off them. If drug addiction is any worse I never want experience it. It is not Heartburn you are having when you try to come off it is acid rebound, The devil his self. Wean off these dont stop cold turkey. I thought I was dying. Weaned down everyother day and replaced with pepcid and cont weaning. I dont do anything now but intestinew a health food supplement and probiotics and digestive enzymes. also vitamins Folic acid mag supp. and melatonin. B12 sublingual to help stomach empty. I take Rolaids with burn. I really could see no difference in the foods I ate. No matter what it was it hurt. Stomach just make crazy amt acid. It is not used to making any with PPIs.
We need gastric secretions for vitamin binding, digestion so may reasons. I have read this will get better, Mine has got much better. I am thankful for tums or rolaid to control. I also beleive these class of drugs is what caused my father to almost be dx with alzheimers a few yrs back. Thank god he is ok we got him off PPIs his stomach started working and B12 and al vitamins are returning and yes he is back mentally. Praise God. It is all so scarey. They have been a Nightmare for us.
I meant to say also my CK level has been elevated. also heart rate increased significantly

Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
(female)

Headrock HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headrock View Post
I meant to say also my CK level has been elevated. also heart rate increased significantly
also I have lost 14 pds in two weeks afraid to eat. But i started digestive enzymes and tryed little things, Grilled chicken wrap plain and small frostie never tasted so good. I will also have tums. But small price to pay to get off these. They say could be months but just to know about acid rebound is comforting. I thought everytime I tried to get off I was dying

Old 12-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Re: has anybody had any bad side effects to omprazole

Ah headrock, I feel for you, been there, done that and still going through it, but more bareable now. You honestly do not know the meaning of pain until your insides are ripped apart by acid. It messed with my head too. It felt like a monster inside my body. It possessed me. I thought I was going to die. No-one could understand it. That made it harder. I feel for you. And I understand.

Reply Reply