It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
(female)

lagger HB User
Can Nexium give you heartburn?

I have already posted a few times, but getting frustrated on being in pain, and it's ever changing.

Started with mild symptoms in the spring, realized I was taking fish oil and getting heartburn from that. Was on Prilosec, then symptoms worsened days after I stopped the fish oil. On Nexium at night for 2 months, symptoms worsened. Then Nexium in morning. Had scope, all was good. Added Ranitidine at night. Felt SUPER good!!! Went off Ranitdine. Ate anything...not spicy or citrus, but had alcohol, coffee, ice cream. Fine.

Over a month ago a cold flared up my asthma, on my meds. Three week ago had a DQ Blizzard, then symptoms were worsened for over a week. Then as things calmed down, last weekend had 3 whiskey drinks Friday, 1/2 glass wine Saturday day, and 2 beers Saturday night. Sunday afternoon started to taste bile in my mouth! As the week went on, the acid seems to have slowly gone down, but the heartburn has increased. The last couple days has been excruciating! It feels like someone took a branding iron to the upper part of my stomach. Food doesn't sound good, and I'm not that hungry. I am SOOO frustrated!! When I sleep I'm not too bad, wake up not too bad, but then soon after I've taken the Nexium, it seems like symtoms flare up. I am popping Tums now, chewing gum, drinking aloe, eating honey, drinking HB soother tea.

I just want to cry all the time. I was feeling so great going into this holiday season, and now I am dreading holiday events....especially upcoming Thanksgiving!!

I haven't done the apple cider vineager...kind of scared for it to burn? But, have read so many people happy with doing that. I am considering stopping the Nexium too, just to see....but scared of the acid rebound.

Thanks for listening!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User
Re: Can Nexium give you heartburn?

Drugs like PPI's can make your food sensitivities or allergies worse. So if there are foods that you were marginally sensitive in the past it can make it seem like suddenly the issue is much worse. The reason for this is the lack of acid in your stomach actually allows some proteins that normally would be digested prior to entering the intestines pass thru. This can make your system very sensitive to some foods. This is also why so many have issues with sugar when on PPI's as your system doesn't digest them the way they used to be in a stomach that was very acidic. Some alcohol's are loaded with sugar.

I find sugar sends my reflux into over drive, never used to. Sounds like your issue with the DQ Blizzard. I would also get rectal itch which apparently is one and the same issue with these undigested proteins. Used to eat McDonalds version of the Blizzard and had to stop. Never really understood it but then read some info on the internet regarding PPI's and how food sensitivity and allergies can result from a less acid environment allowing undigested proteins to pass thru into the lower intestines. It apparently is a common problem for all PPI's due to their mechanism of action not just Nexium. This also may explain why some people actually feel better by taking HCL (acid supplements) when eating to offset the lack of acid in their stomach from the PPI's.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
(male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User

Your situation seems to almost exactly mirror mine. I'm going to start my own thread on my quest to come off of PPI's, but I'll start here to try to give my best advice. Like you, I never had that "piercing" and "extreme burning" feeling in my chest until I started taking PPI's, and like you, a lot of times, my symptoms worsened after taking a dose of my PPI.

About 2.5 weeks ago, I switched from two 20mg Prilosec's to one; and then for about 2 weeks, I've been totally off of Prilosec. First thing's first...Make sure you're well-prepared. I really like Ranitidine, but I've found for the piercing, burning, extruciating pain, Pepcid AC seems to work better; Also, don't be scared of Apple Cider Vinegar. It doesn't work all the time, or even half the time for me, but when it does, it seems like a lifesaver, and it's worth taking and having it not work just for the times that it actually does. ACV has gotten me out of some really bad pain. It's not that bad - just gulp it all down. Just chugging down tons of water and/or water with baking soda/powder has given me relief, but only for a very short amount of time. ACV, when it worked, was/is different.

Next thing is that you're going to have to make sacrifices - find your triggers and stop eating them. I never had a problem with dairy, until this whole acid reflux BS, so I'm off of it (even though I honestly feel like i'll be able to go back on it once my stomach gets back to normal). Regarding diet, if you've ever had an endoscopy or had to fast for any other reason, you'll notice how great you feel on that day. You have to go through a liquid diet for the first couple of weeks after you have the Nissen surgery. I can almost guarantee that you'll feel much better if you go on a diet like that...If not, maybe a partial-liquid diet.

Also, just make sure that you're addressing the pain every time you get it. It's a horrible idea to just let it be.

Last edited by Leo255; 11-19-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

Leo I would be interested in reading your thread. Always good to hear other stories, think most of us are all a little different but the same. It is a weird disease to have given the meds and what they can do for you or against you. Docs just don't tell people the things we know by showing up at places like this.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
(female)

lagger HB User

Thank you all for commenting!

Since this flare up last week, I have pulled everything that could trigger, eating very bland, light meals, apples, almonds, chewing gum, HB soother tea, and still in pain.

After my scope that said nothing was wrong and no damage, started the Nexium in the morning (another doc said night and still had issues), I felt back to "me". I slowly tried out food and slowly tried out coffee and alcohol. I got to the point where I even would have 2 cups of coffee in the morning, and a decaf fun pumpkin coffee in the afternoon. Had a few nights of too much beer...and fine. I had 10 weeks of "me". I even had a couple DQ blizzards this summer.

Then about 3 weeks ago when I had that DQ blizzard, something changed, and it has slowly gotten worse.

Yesterday I started drinking coconut water and found a little relief.

I keep going back in my head. I started fish oil last February at dinner and would have the HB, pain. I didn't even know what it was. I was also experiencing insomnia. This happened for 2 months until I realized it was the fish oil! By then, it was too late, felt worse symptoms. Docs put me on Nexium at night and still had acid. I look back to how I felt then and how tame that was to how I feel now. A year ago I was fine. Sigh....

Very hard to get into this holiday season when I can't eat/drink all the fun stuff.

I'm going to try that ACV and see how that goes too. I know some people that swear by it. I want to feel better....and NOT be on the meds.

I keep thinking when January comes I'm going to do a cleanse and wean off the Nexium, and try a diet change. I was feeling so good a few weeks ago that I even called the nurse to ask about weaning off Nexium! She said to go every other day, then every couple days, etc....I decided I better get through the holidays, but then all this flare up happened!

Reply Reply