It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #16
(male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User
Re: My Journey to come off of PPI's (At 2 weeks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingpeace12 View Post
Leo, have you been tested for Helicobacter Pylori? It is possible that the burning pain is from the bacteria causing an ulcer in your stomach. Also, have you tried Pepto Bismol for when you feel the pains? The Bismuth subsalicylate in it has been known to help with the pains that you are experiencing and we all know how it also helps with the nausea. You may also want to try DGL (German chocolate tastes best) as it coats the sides of the stomach and esophagus with mucus, which protects the lining. Let us know of your progress as I also wish that I could get off the PPIs.
Thanks for the reply!! Yeah, I was tested for H. Pylori about a year ago, and there wasn't anything - Could be that maybe things have changed since then, who know...I'll mention it to my Dr. I HAVE tried Pepto Bismol - It was actually decent, but something like a liquid antacid like Mylanta has been a little bit better for me.

I really need to try the whole DGL thing - I keep telling myself I will, but then I forget to buy them. Will get some soon.

Last edited by Leo255; 01-02-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #17
(male)

As far as my overall update, with how I'm feeling, I'm wondering if I hit a plateau as far as the progress that I have made. My progress hasn't changed since my last update, so it is what it is. I think I mentioned this before, but I'm kind of liking breaking up my Zantac 150 into 2-4 pieces with my teeth, and then swallowing them all at the same time.

I've also learned how important managing stress and learning to relax is. When I first started out, I thought it was really unfair that I could have an absolutely minuscule amount of stress (probably a lot less than most people experience every day without having any issues from it), and that "that" would be enough to cause reflux and really bad pain. Now, I'm much more Ok with it - Just need to learn to relax.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-02-2013 at 08:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #18
(female)

Spunkyhunny HB UserSpunkyhunny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo255 View Post
As far as my overall update, with how I'm feeling, I'm wondering if I hit a plateau as far as the progress that I have made. My progress hasn't changed since my last update, so it is what it is. I think I mentioned this before, but I'm kind of liking breaking up my Zantac 150 into 2-4 pieces with my teeth, and then swallowing them all at the same time.

I've also learned how important managing stress and learning to relax is. When I first started out, I thought it was really unfair that I could have an absolutely minuscule amount of stress (probably a lot less than most people experience every day without having any issues from it), and that "that" would be enough to cause reflux and really bad pain. Now, I'm much more Ok with it - Just need to learn to relax.
Hi Leo
I know how you feel in regards to the good/bad days...Extreme stress is what started all my stomach problems. its been about 10 months since mine started, went to doc he gave me tecta,,,took it for 4 weeks like he said ( never heard of PPI's before, never had tummy trouble before) mother was in hospital getting worse then better up and down big time. stress was very bad. she passed suddenly and then everything got way worse, went back to doc he gave me prevacid was told to take it 2 times a day 40mg...that sucked badly,,,i really dont know what I would have done had it not been for this healthboard...the people on here are great and very helpful,,,i stopped prevacid had massive rebound for over 2 months, got tecta again for 6 weeks, after that i have just learned to control it naturally,,,DGL, papaya enzymes pepcid when needed ( one pack lasted me over a month woohooo)I still have good and bad days,,i still do not eat chocolate coffee, anything tomatoey, no pickles or OJ i am still trying to stick with a fairly blah diet as i still get the reflux for n o reason what so ever and the full stomach and all the symptoms...its just not as bad...i have a stressful job but try to take it in stride....The holidays were hard this year ( 1st one without mom) so ia m attributing some of the problems to that...i know it will take a long time to heal from her passing which in turn makes healing the body a bit more difficult.
I wish i had a great way to relieve stress but that seems a little impossible sometimes...all i can tell you is it does gradually get better,,,iwould lay off anything that you know will cause you pain..why take 2 steps backward if you dont have to, trust me i would love to have some chocolate, or a pickle, but i will wait until i know it wont hurt me anymore. (hopefully soon)

I wish you the best...it is a long road but you can get through it. try dgl reflux tea, make a thyme tea(just boil some loose thyme, strain and drink with honey) if you can find some manuka honey that helped my stomach alot, does not taste like the honey we know but i feel that it helped me. try bee propolis that helped me some as well...
Good luck it will get better I have been off of PPI's since august..stick with it.
Spunky

Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #19
(male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User

Leo, you may also consider that what you have may not be acid reflux in the normal sense but rather bile reflux. With bile reflux the gallbladder sends more bile to the stomach which in turn makes the stomach create more acid. Some people who do not get results from PPIs have had success by treating bile reflux.
The Mayo Clinic has a great article on bile reflux which touches on many of the symptoms that acid reflux, gastritis, and GERD sufferers suffer and who should be treating bile reflux instead of (or along with) acid reflux.

For bile reflux, the doctor may prescribe Carafate (Sucralfate) which is taken on an empty stomach. The medicine will coat the stomach lining so it heals. If people have success (even if limited) with Slippery Elm, DGL, and honey which all coat the lining of the esophagus and stomach, then it could be that the problem is with the lining. Carafate also helps those who have ulcers due to taking too much aspirin, people with peptic ulcers, surgery complications, and with problems with the intestine. I also ran into an article that talks about people who lift weights or who feel a sharp pain when bending down may suffer from bile reflux.

Last edited by Seekingpeace12; 01-03-2013 at 10:19 AM.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #20
Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User
Re: My Journey to come off of PPI's (At 3 weeks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindan View Post
same experience here. PPI didnt help much, when I stopped them few years back, it was a relief ! Daily Prilosec helps me
Prilosec IS a PPI, maybe it was a different one that didn't suit you and this one suits you better.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #21
(male)

Well, I guess I'm at the 3 month mark, more or less. Since my last update, I'm not sure how much positive change I have had. If I have, then it's been feeling a little better here and there, but it's still very rare to have consistent streaks of days where I don't have any problems, and/or I don't even have to think about it. I'm starting to learn more about the dietary aspect of this, and how to alter it to avoid feeling so bad. For example, I can have scrambled eggs with diced ham, but I have to avoid or just really limit breads, potatoes, etc. I guess some of the starchy carbs give me issues sometimes. I also learned about proper timing of taking your acid reducers (i.e. Zantac, for me). Even though they say to take the pills before you eat, no one pays attention to that, and they just take them after they're in pain. Sometimes you can get exponential results just by when you take your H2's, and just taking it before you eat. With that said, I wish I were making better progress.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #22
(male)

Also, I'm not sure If I should put this here, but I guess it's related, because all of our lives are affected by this disease/condition. Without going into too much detail about my life, I'm in my mid-20's right now, and I used to have several jobs, and my last one before this disease started to kick in was probably the best one (looking back). It was definitely stressful at times, but when I was healthy back then, it was really not bad, and I was working full time, without any issues. Long story short, I had a few health issues start up (this one included), and I couldn't perform the job [without having pain, or other issues], so I had to quit. I quit without giving enough notice, as well.

After not working at all, my parents were generous enough to let me work at our family business. After a lot of time passed, and after some goods and some bads, I'm at the point where my entire family wants me to get another job. I know health is never an excuse when you are a grown individual, but to say it has no effect on you is just plain wrong...I'm not only going to have to get a new job, but I'm going to have to learn to manage this condition at the same time.

Sorry about ranting...just wanted to get that off my chest. Sometimes you don't realize how much your health, or health problems, change your life.

Last edited by Leo255; 03-05-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #23
(male)

Just a little update, some on my health, some on my life. I don't think I have improvement - Obviously, there are sometimes good days, but I just have chronic pain. Don't get me wrong, it's still better than when I was on the PPI's, and when I was under severe rebound, but pain is pain, and it affects me at least every other day. I'm not trying to make excuses, but it just flat out inhibits your life and what you can do.

As far as my life, I made a big sale, and my parents have softened up a bit. They also want me to go back to school, and I do to. I want to go back for a second major in Computer Science, or Information Technology at one of the better schools, the University of California's (i.e. UCLA, UC Berkely, UC Irvine, UC Davis, UC SD, etc.) My first major was psychology at a state college, and I had graduated about 5 years ago (stopped working in the field a while ago because of not the most ideal pay & stressful jobs).

To get to there, though, I need to finish the lower divisional course-work at a community college. The problem is that it's hard enough when you're completely healthy to get great grades and then into one of these schools - The competition is just flat out fierce. If I still have chronic pain, to be completely honest, it's going to make this goal much, much harder to achieve.

Last edited by Leo255; 03-05-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #24
(male)

Re: My Journey to come off of PPI's (At 7 months)

UPDATE: 7 months completely off of PPI's...Wish I could edit the title, but nothing works.

As far as my life, I'm interviewing for some jobs. I feel pretty good about it. As far as college, I'm going to be starting my Computer Science degree this Fall at a community college...Hopefully, once I get my associates, I can either get a job and/or finish up at a 4-year; more importantly, I have been teaching myself computer programming. Man, I'm annoyed at how much I sounded like a little girl in the earlier posts.

Anyway, back to Acid Reflux...

I'm doing pretty well. I manage my meals better by eating less, and try to be reasonable by eating the right things. I do have reflux issues, but they're not really too bad. I can usually take a Zantac, and that helps quite a bit. Sometimes I eat a little bit too late, and I definitely feel it when I can't go to sleep because of the reflux, but that is my fault, and I know better. Most of the time, if I have reflux, I know why (i.e. I wanted to splurge on something, and end up paying for it!)

I think there's hope for all you guys out there...Overall, I'm better. Less problems, I'm more functional. I'm not a doctor and my advice shouldn't be taken as such, but I believe people absolutely should not be taking PPI's...They were the cause of the worst pains in my life, and I'm glad I don't have to bother with them anymore. Hopefully, I stumble into a great job, and ace all of my new classes! After all, that's what's really important to me.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-26-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #25
Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Really pleased to hear you are feeling so much better, and thanks for all your updates... it gives hope.

Do you think the little bit of reflux you still have is a result of the ppi's or did you have reflux problems before you ever took them? ie have you gone back to how you were before you took them, or worse?

Reply Reply