It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
(male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User
My Journey to come off of PPI's (At 3 weeks)

I never had that "piercing" and "extreme burning" feeling in my chest until I started taking PPI's, and, a lot of times, my symptoms worsened after taking a dose of my PPI (i.e. by the time that it was being digested, I felt pain). So...2.5 weeks ago, I switched from two 20mg Prilosec's to one; and then for about 2 weeks, I've been totally off of Prilosec. Overall, I'm doing better than I would be if I were on PPI's, as strange as that may seem.

It's very interesting and atypical. The first week that I came completely off of Prilosec (i.e. cold turkey) I felt really good. I'm convinced, the actual PPI was causing me pain. During my glorious 5-6 days when I stopped cold-turkey, it actually came to a point where I was drinking coffee and eating corned beef sandwiches with mustard, with no problems (Still had mild heartburn problems/bloating, but nothing I couldn't control with a little medication, i.e. similar to before PPI's/Pain/etc.

With that said, being so confident, I made the mistake of eating a latin dish, consisting of shredded beef in a tomato-like sauce, along with lots of beans and rice. With that said, I think that a lot of the problem was that I tested my limits too much and ate WAY too much of it. About an hour later, I was suffering (didn't have pain) and felt like I had a lake in my stomach - Took about 3-4 hours to fully go away, but it was absolutely dreadful. The next day and for about 4 days, I had that oh so familiar piercing/burning pain come back. I'm wondering if this was started all because of that one meal/reflux incident, or because I just absolutely loaded up on medications (zantac/pepcid). Regarding the latter, I know that those meds don't give you rebound, but I'm wondering if you happen to take such a huge quantity, that it actually might trigger rebound mechanisms in your stomach.

The pain slightly reduced over several days, and now today, although I'm not feeling as good as I was during most of that "first week," I'm doing better. I'm wondering if that set-back had more to do with my idiotic over-eating of a heartburn triggering food, or if it was just part of the rebound process with coming off of Prilosec.

Anyway, like I said earlier, at least I'm doing better than I would be if I were on PPI's. I'll try to update this thread as much as I can.

Last edited by Leo255; 11-27-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User
Re: My Journey to come off of PPI's (At 2 weeks)

Wondering how long were you on PPI's?

Old 11-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnah View Post
Wondering how long were you on PPI's?
About 8-9 months.

Just a little update - I had a wonderful sleep last night. I overslept and was late to work (I don't care), just because of how important sleep is, and how great I felt. Kind of felt like the longer I can be pain free and feel great, the more my esophagus is healing itself. Had some eggs today, a little bit of rice and some left-over chicken. Overall, today I'm feeling better than yesterday. Feeling pretty good. Haven't taken any med yet. Enjoying this great, sunny California weather.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Hi Leo, my opinion as to what happened is that it was a combination of rebound + the not so sensible eating you indulged in.

With rebound the cells enlarge so that the potential to produce acid is increased. Also the gastrin goes up. When you come off PPIs acid can go into hypersecretion. For some people this happens no matter what they eat, but if you were doing ok, maybe the fact you overate on acid producing food just triggered a higher than normal amount of acid, which would be even higher than a normal high because of the effects of coming off PPIs, if you see what I mean.

You may be one of the lucky ones who does not suffer from rebound, but because you triggered acid (which would have happened anyway) you felt it more pronounced because of a degree of rebound.

Anyway, hope you remain symton free!

Old 11-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

I was on PPI's for 2.5 months a couple of years ago, quit them and went back to Pepcid and had no issues with rebound. Now I have been on them 8 months, haven't tried to get off but knowledge can be a little scary , hadn't heard of rebound last time. First time on PPI's was for gastritis , this time reflux so a little different.

Leo if you don't need 'em don't take 'em. Watch the coffee, alcohol and high acid foods though no matter who you are they can cause stomach problems.

Last edited by Johnah; 11-20-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
(male)

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Just to update, unfortunately, about an hour or two after I wrote that I felt so great, I started to feel terrible, and had that horrible burning pain. It continued up until an hour or two before I went to sleep. Luckily, today I'm doing better with no set-backs, other than feeling a small amount of reflux earlier, which I dealt with by chugging down water (knock on wood). Let's hope it lasts the entire day.

Never going back to PPI's - I'll deal with the bad days that I know I will get, but hopefully I'll get even more good days on my road to recovery.

The Following User Says Thank You to Leo255 For This Useful Post:
Johnah (11-21-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
(male)

Re: My Journey to come off of PPI's (At 3 weeks)

So I'm at about 3 weeks - at work, so I'll give more details later, but right now it's kind of a good day/bad day type of thing. Not symptom free on my good days, but I can manage my symptoms without too many issues and don't have that burning. On bad days, I do have burning and it's not so pleasant. Trying to slowly reduce my Zantac and Pepcid Intake, for any rebound possibilities/issues. I'm also finding that sitting down sometimes makes my burning worse or even starts it (maybe I'm squishing my esoph. Stomach closer together...not sure). What's strange is that lying down completely straight, with maybe slight elevation for my head seems to make me feel better...sometimes this is even better than standing...seems to alleviate my burning feeling, especially. Will post more later.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
(male)

So actually when I posted last a couple days ago, the rest of the day was pretty bad - Pretty painful; the weekend gave me some difficulties as well...It would benefit other people more If I was completely honest, so there's that...

But, as of yesterday and today, I'm feeling pretty decent! Although I had uncomfortable bloating/abnormally full feeling, I had pretty minimal pain/burning...So that's a good day. Actually am noticing that the Zantac helps out the uncomfortable bloating/abnormally full feeling quite a lot, but sometimes (a lot of times, lately) exacerbates my pain when I feel that bad pain/burning, so I've been decreasing my H2 consumption quite a lot, and especially when I feel burning pain (at those times, I have more success with tums/mylanta/etc).

Hopefully, I'm on my way...

Last edited by Leo255; 11-28-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
(male)

Also, maybe this is more for the mods, but I'm not able to change the title of my thread (i.e. I want to put "3 weeks," instead of "2 weeks" to let people see what stage I'm at of my rebound progress). Title of my first post changes, but not of the whole thread.

Thanks.

Last edited by Leo255; 11-28-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
(male)

So, I think I'm pretty close to a month off of Prilosec...Thursday, Friday and Saturday were actually pretty good for me, but I had some really bad burning on Sunday, and this morning - I took A LOT of ACV in some water, and luckily, it helped me out. I have to be honest, that when I feel the burning pain, it really just kills my confidence/hope - I might even need to start just using flat-out painkillers when it's really bad, and I can't control it, no matter what I do. All I can do is just hope I'm on the right path...

I also don't believe I told everyone, but I got my test results for my Manometry that I did - It didn't show any spasms (achalasia) which my doctor was worried about, but it did show that my damn Esophagus really doesn't want to close ever! I set-up an apt with my gastro for this Wednesday, where he said that he wants to discuss treatment options. I'm wondering how much he's going to try to push another PPI on me, so we'll see. I'm also going to ask him about Bile Reflux, since a family member said that I might have that...So, that's my update for about 1 month.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
(male)

Getting close to 6 weeks. The week was decent overall, but I got that painful burning this whole weekend. Don't know why but the position of lying flat on my back is one if the few things that slowly relieves the pain.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
(male)

Closing in on 2 months pretty soon - I would call my progress "average" right now. I can't say that I'm always feeling great, because I'm not - I have bad days and bad "parts of days" that I really, really need to go away, but it's not horrible like it was on the PPI. Yesterday, my dad wanted to meet me for lunch at Olive Garden. I was feeling that kind of tinge of pain in my chest, so I probably shouldn't have went - The day wasn't that great, but it wasn't because of the food. It's kind of annoying to keep telling people, but a lot of times it has nothing to do with what I eat. If I'm in that "acidic mode," it doesn't matter what I eat, I'll feel crappy before, during and after it...which is kind of what I felt yesterday.

So...As I said, I'm not there yet. It's not horrible (today I'm feeling pretty good so far), but I do have rough spots - Really hoping I can conquer this thing, so I can give hope to the rest of you.

FYI, this not being able to change the title thing is pretty annoying - I'll be at "2 weeks" forever, I guess.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Keep going Leo, you're doing great. I know that 'acidic mode' only too well. I'm still going through the awesome task of tapering off the damn PPIs hoping that the coming year sees the end of them for all of us trying to get off them, and those who took the plunge!

Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #14
(male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User

Leo, have you been tested for Helicobacter Pylori? It is possible that the burning pain is from the bacteria causing an ulcer in your stomach. Also, have you tried Pepto Bismol for when you feel the pains? The Bismuth subsalicylate in it has been known to help with the pains that you are experiencing and we all know how it also helps with the nausea. You may also want to try DGL (German chocolate tastes best) as it coats the sides of the stomach and esophagus with mucus, which protects the lining. Let us know of your progress as I also wish that I could get off the PPIs.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
(female)

sindan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo255 View Post
I never had that "piercing" and "extreme burning" feeling in my chest until I started taking PPI's, and, a lot of times, my symptoms worsened after taking a dose of my PPI (i.e. by the time that it was being digested, I felt pain). So...2.5 weeks ago, I switched from two 20mg Prilosec's to one; and then for about 2 weeks, I've been totally off of Prilosec. Overall, I'm doing better than I would be if I were on PPI's, as strange as that may seem.

It's very interesting and atypical. The first week that I came completely off of Prilosec (i.e. cold turkey) I felt really good. I'm convinced, the actual PPI was causing me pain. During my glorious 5-6 days when I stopped cold-turkey, it actually came to a point where I was drinking coffee and eating corned beef sandwiches with mustard, with no problems (Still had mild heartburn problems/bloating, but nothing I couldn't control with a little medication, i.e. similar to before PPI's/Pain/etc.

With that said, being so confident, I made the mistake of eating a latin dish, consisting of shredded beef in a tomato-like sauce, along with lots of beans and rice. With that said, I think that a lot of the problem was that I tested my limits too much and ate WAY too much of it. About an hour later, I was suffering (didn't have pain) and felt like I had a lake in my stomach - Took about 3-4 hours to fully go away, but it was absolutely dreadful. The next day and for about 4 days, I had that oh so familiar piercing/burning pain come back. I'm wondering if this was started all because of that one meal/reflux incident, or because I just absolutely loaded up on medications (zantac/pepcid). Regarding the latter, I know that those meds don't give you rebound, but I'm wondering if you happen to take such a huge quantity, that it actually might trigger rebound mechanisms in your stomach.

The pain slightly reduced over several days, and now today, although I'm not feeling as good as I was during most of that "first week," I'm doing better. I'm wondering if that set-back had more to do with my idiotic over-eating of a heartburn triggering food, or if it was just part of the rebound process with coming off of Prilosec.

Anyway, like I said earlier, at least I'm doing better than I would be if I were on PPI's. I'll try to update this thread as much as I can.
same experience here. PPI didnt help much, when I stopped them few years back, it was a relief ! Daily Prilosec helps me

Reply Reply