It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
(male)

virgin747 HB User
My Doctor thinks its reflux?

Hello all. Have just joined the forum and wanted to post a couple of questions with regard to symptoms and tests I've had so far.
I've had health anxiety on/off since I lost my mum about 12 years ago of breast cancer. Just after she died I started to get acid reflux and have had it on/off since then. Have taken Ranitidine and omeprazole prescribed by my GP. I also had an endoscopy about 12 years ago and although there was some inflammation nothing else was seen. Ive also had costochondritis at various times in my lifetime. Present day and symptoms have changed somewhat. I have had blood tests done and two of my LFT came back irregular, GGT and ALT. Had an ultrasound and was found to have a fatty liver. I've lost a stone in weight and am almost at average weight for height. I've started with shortness of breath and a pain in the sternum area. Have had a Troponin test at A&E, chest X-ray and an Exercise ECG. All have come back normal. I've had another endoscopy and have had the stomach washed with infracol, again nothing found. GP has now requested a breath test to see if there is H Pylori present. I've now also come off omeprazole and now on lansoprazole. I belch a lot and pass wind also. GP still thinks its Reflux and quite possibly Silent Reflux. It feels like I've got pressure in my sternum area and like I've got a lump in my throat. I get pain between my shoulder blades. I'm wondering if Acid can cause costochondritis or visa versa and if one can make the other worse? I suppose I have to trust my GP as I think he's being quite thorough with his diagnosis. He mentioned that IBS could also be a factor.
Hoping for some thoughts from others with possible similar symptoms or past history of symptoms.
Many thanks for the oppertunity to divulge and get my worries out there.
virgin747

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User
Re: My Doctor thinks its reflux?

Shortness of breath and pain in the sternum are common issues for those of us with reflux. I was really short of breath had a ton of pain from that area, the vagus nerve is impacted by reflux. It can make you feel like you are having a heart attack when it becomes irritated by the reflux. People with anxiety may notice this even more and make it worse by being anxious.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
(female)

Spunkyhunny HB UserSpunkyhunny HB User

Hi 747
I started to get reflux due to my mothers sudden illness and then her very sudden passing
I was perfectly fine until the call at 2am then rushing to hospital,she was given a week to live. Very stressful she had surgery came out ok then had some very bad ups and downs over the 3.5 months she was in hospital. My stress and anxiety were just About beyond what I could take went to doc he gave me tecta told me it was gastritis without ever even coming within 2 feet of me, took the meds seemed to help a bit , mom was doing a bit better I started feeling a bit better still was t eating or sleeping as we were getting phone calls from hospital at all hours of the day n night then she was due to come home on the Friday we got a call Wednesday night that she was. Or doing well again stomach goes crazy we go to hospital they then tell us she won't make it through the nite I tried to stay positive throughout because of my sisters and kids but when she finally pased early Thursday morning I fell apart completely I was in the hospital emerg myself twice in one week thought I was done for my body and mind went crazy my health went down the crapper quickly lost a lot of weight couldn't eat and barely slept went back to doc he gave me Prevacid that only made it worse hey told me to double up on it so I did just wanted stomach pain to stop already but to no avail went back again about month and a half later he said maybe stomach cancer still never touched me or anything I flipped as I had had every test under the sun almost at the 2 emerg visits so I switched docs did doc put me back on tecta for 6 weeks seemed to help some then I ran out of tecta went through rebound very badly I'm sure it would have been less had I been in a better frame of mind that was in August I am still suffering from reflux on a daily basis some days better than others I take Pepcid when needed I also use dgl and Manila honey chamomile tea Papua enzymes am trying mastic gum as well. I just want to get back to normal but I am still stressed out and sad and have anxiety trying to work on that but when something so dramatic happens like that u just don't know what to do with yourself. I am sorry about your mom can you tell me what else u take and what u found that helps
Sorry for such a long drawn post
Hope we all feel better soon
Spunky

Old 11-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
(male)

virgin747 HB User

Hello Spunky. Sorry for the delay in posting, I fly for a living so living life out of a suitcase. I'm not really taking anything other than the lansaprozole and a tablet form of gaviscon which seems to help. I'm somewhat reassured by the fact I've had an endoscopy which shows nothing sinister. I think a lot of my problems are anxiety related and if I could manage that better then I'm hoping that the symptoms will abate.
I'm not sure that bombarding yourself with many different things to try and ease the symptoms is a good idea. Maybe a more systematic approach to what works and is this more IBS linked? After all you've been through it could be triggered by your anxiety and this in turn makes things worse? I'm not suggesting that is the case but hoping that like me, maybe with a little less worry will make for a little less pain.
Chin up and take care.
virgin747

Reply Reply