It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
(female)

lagger HB User
Pepcid AC or Ranitadine at night?

I currently take 40 mg Nexium 45 minutes before breakfast in the morning. Have been doing Ranitadine at night, but doctor said your body can get used to it, weaned off it with Tums, then weaned off altogether. Have a big flare up right now, thought I'd do Pepcid AC at night.

I haven't called the nurse to ask, called her for a question last week and never heard back. You guys are more helpful!!

Thoughts???

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: Pepcid AC or Ranitadine at night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagger View Post
I currently take 40 mg Nexium 45 minutes before breakfast in the morning. Have been doing Ranitadine at night, but doctor said your body can get used to it, weaned off it with Tums, then weaned off altogether. Have a big flare up right now, thought I'd do Pepcid AC at night.

I haven't called the nurse to ask, called her for a question last week and never heard back. You guys are more helpful!!

Thoughts???

Thanks!
Hi jagger, since it is the weekdays, before thanksgiving, call the dr & ask if you can take the nexium at night? You are upright all day. Alot of gerd happens b/c of laying down lets gastric contents into esophagus by gravity. Standing, sitting doesnt allow this as much as laying down. I have read H2 blockers work differently on controlling acid reflux. Pepcid or famotidine 40mg in the morning & omeprazole @ night worked for me. But, its up to you & dr to decide. My gastro told me that you can become "immune" & need to change medicines. I currently have been changed to Zegerid 40mg am & pm. Its available otc but has baking soda in it & you have to be really careful because you cant double the otc dose b/c too much baking soda
can cause some kind of serious metabolic imbalance. So, try to get dr who
can help you the best! Thank you, gmak

Last edited by gmak; 11-20-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

I've taken Pepcid 40mg for 15 yrs, it always seems to work for me. I have tried others and they have similar qualities but Pepcid always worked best and still does. I take it at bedtime and occasionally one in the afternoon to supplement the PPI I take each morning.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi johnah, i agree. Nothing has ever worked as well & been a reliable medicine that i can count on like famotidine. Since 1988, it has been the one that always works, no matter how many times my ppi is changed, imo. Thank you, gmak

Old 11-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

What I find strange about Pepcid is I get no side effects with me. They say every drug has to have side effects but it has always worked , did it's job in settling my acidic stomach and I outside of that you wouldn't know your taking it. Of course when I started getting reflux it wasn't strong enough as compared to PPI's.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Dear johnah, That happened to me. I started having spasms in the antrum of my stomach. Horrible! Like labor pains squeezing then letting go over & over. So, he put me on ppis. Taken so many kinds, currently Zegerid. Famotidine wasnt strong enough for those spasms. But, it is still my go to stomach drug of choice for the same reason it works. Even on the spasms, it works to relieve the pain but is sort of helped along by the famotidine. Ive had pepcid in an iv pump twenty times at least! Thank you, gmak

Ps when i have intestinal cramps, my husb ask me did you take your pepcid? It even helps with those!
Sorry duplicate post!??

Last edited by gmak; 11-21-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Dear johnah, That happened to me. I started having spasms in the antrum of my stomach. Horrible! Like labor pains squeezing then letting go over & over. So, he put me on ppis. Taken so many kinds, currently Zegerid. Famotidine wasnt strong enough for those spasms. But, it is still my go to stomach drug of choice for the same reason it works. Even on the spasms, it works to relieve the pain but is sort of helped along by the famotidine. Ive had pepcid in an iv pump twenty times at least! Thank you, gmak

Ps when i have intestinal cramps, my husb ask me did you take your pepcid? It even helps with those on me.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
(male)

I'd be glad to get just back to Pepcid. I always had a stomach that couldn't handle coffee etc after age 40 so I took Pepcid. For 15 yrs it let me live normally (if you call a modern high stress lifestyle normal) and I didn't have to think about my stomach. Age catches up with you though and this reflux has me now. I expect at some point I will end up having to have some type of surgery to correct the reflux. The PPI's help but don't resolve it, don't intend to be on them long term if possible. Would rather spend a couple of months recovering from surgery then a lifetime of taking PPI's , easier now I am retired.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Dear johnah, that surgery is hard, serious. Hope that with combo, ppis & famotine works for you. I know that it is a serious fix. Thank you

Old 11-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
(female)

Marrie Ann HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagger View Post

Thoughts???

Thanks!
You can try to take Nexium 30 minutes before diner.

Reply Reply