It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
(female)

harperb HB User
Is GERD doing this to my mouth?

In June of this year, I had an upper endoscopy and was diagnosed with a small hiatal hernia and mild gastritis. The gastroenterologist put me on Dexilant but that made me really bloated and I couldn't digest my food, so I stopped taking it and am currently on no medication.

For the last several months, my mouth has been very irritated and it is VERY dry. Whenever I close my mouth, I have to sort of 'peel' my tongue away from the roof of my mouth. Over the last few weeks, I've developed "foamy" saliva. This is worse in the mornings. Despite how dry my mouth is, I'll suddenly feel all this foamy gross saliva fill my mouth (seems like it's coming up from my throat - not from my salivary glands) and I'll have to spit it out. My mouth tastes bad and my breath does not exactly smell like roses. My tongue is paler than usual and has developed some fissures in the center. It has also become "scalloped", meaning it's too big for my mouth and gets teeth marks around the edges. I switched to an alcohol free mouthwash thinking perhaps that was drying out my mouth too much. My mouth feels better right after I use it, but the bad taste returns soon enough.

I'm also constantly swallowing because it feels like there's phlegm stuck in my throat. I have post nasal drip, so I don't know if it's from that or from acid coming up. Over the past few months, I've been experiencing ear pain and pain in my neck/under my jaw. At first I was worried it was my lymph nodes or something (they were never swollen though), but then it hit me that it could be reflux. I also noticed some inflamed taste buds on the very back of my tongue a couple weeks ago, so I'm wondering if I'm having "silent reflux" which is irritating the far back of my tongue and throat.

Does this sound like it could be GERD related?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
(male)

secretrelief HB User
Re: Is GERD doing this to my mouth?

Hey Harperb,

I've been looking through posts here for a few months and haven't once found anyone with all the same symptoms I have which is what caused me to stop taking Omeprazole as i thought doctor must be wrong, I'm still going through tests so i can't say 100% what my particular problem is.

Your post has made me quite happy (not because it's good to have some problem that makes you miserable ) but because the mouth issues are exactly the same as i've noticed the last few months too, I don't have an answer of what's causing it for you as I haven't mentioned it to my GI yet, due to go see him on the 7th, if i find out anything helpful, i'll be sure to come let you know if reflux is indeed the cause.

Hang in there..
Secretrelief.

The Following User Says Thank You to secretrelief For This Useful Post:
harperb (11-24-2012)
Reply Reply

Tags
gerd, mouth, reflux