It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
(male)

jjmcv HB User
Reflux persists while on meds

Looking for some opinions or advice on my situation.

Currently take omeprazole 40mg 2xdaily, famotidine 40mg 1xdaily, tums...etc as required.

Had the 24 hour ph monitor performed Monday while on meds. Doctor called today with the results, which as I suspected, is despite the meds I am still experiencing significant acid reflux throughout the day & night.

Unfortunately the doctor didn't like either of my options - increasing meds not recommended as I'm already maximally dosed. And surgery best to wait as these things can be cyclical (though I've been experiencing problems constantly for approx. one year now).

I pretty much follow all the general lifestyle recommendations for reducing reflux - all to no avail. So... any advice or commiserations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User
Re: Reflux persists while on meds

Thought of trying a different med for awhile. I found Dexilant more effective than Omeprazole. Tried a few before I found one that worked.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
(female)

winghall HB User
Re: Reflux persists while on meds

My reflux/LPR still persist while I am on PPIs (Nexium before) and now Pariet 2 x 20 mg. The reflux/LPR is controlled about 75%. The GI recently gave me 2 x 10 mg Motilium to control the other 25%. She said that the idea is to get on top of the reflux then wean off Motilium and cut half of the Pariet dosage. See how I go.
This is my second d episode of reflux (again, flared up due to stress). In the first episode, more than 10 years ago, I did not respond to PPI (Losec) so the GI gave me Motilium. I took it for a few months or so and suddenly I realised that all the reflux symptoms had gone so I stop taking Motilium. The first reflux episode lasted daily for about 2 years. Well, I did not learn the first lesson, I let myself get stressed again and here we are... I am learning now and I could see the connection well between stress/anxiety and reflux.
You would be very lucky if you respond to PPI 100%. I did with Nexium until it lost its effectiveness on me. Hope this help

Reply Reply