It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
(female)

darcywil HB User
LPR question relating to stuffy nose and sinus issues

I kept thinking I had allergies or sinus infections and now I really think with the lump in the throat, swollen lymph nodes (or tonsils?) which comes and goes throughout each day...if I get them they are always about 20-40 minutes after eating and the things that make me feel bad (coffee, alcohol, dairy, high fat, spicy) they are all on the LPR list of stuff to avoid (also, of course, all of my favorite things).

I remember one time drinking some water and having it taste dreadful...then taking one more sip and it was normal and I think now that I had stomach acid come into my mouth and I just didn't realize it. When I take more than one tums, I can taste a metallic taste. It's a little disturbing. I also get an annoying itchy throat/back of mouth/sometimes roof of mouth itch and even occasionally in my ears it will either itch or feel like liquid is being released or is in there.

Does anyone else get that itchiness?
Did you ever have the sinus presssure, pain, or stuffed nose feeling?
Did it take a long time to unclog and can you control your symptoms with any specific medicine?

I specifically have a stuffed nose while I sleep and it lasts for a long time. Antibiotics don't seem to help, but corticosteroids (shot or methylprednisolone) have helped a couple times. I obviously can't rely on those. I think I felt better with a 'clean' diet. 2 years ago I got asthma/bronchitis badly, and I think it was acid going into my lungs and now it's more my sinuses. I 'got better' by clean eating.

I don't want to just eat 'rabbit food' forever...plain veggies and fruits and plain chicken and nuts but that seems all I can have. Then if I do that for 6 months, I seem to be fine to eat most things for about 6 months to a year...then it builds up and comes back.

Right now I am on amoxicillin for sinusitis, but I am becoming convinced that with the constant lump in throat that comes after eating and antibiotics not working ,but the steroid stuff working....I think I have LPR...I have all the symptoms listen (PND, throat clearing, lump in throat, etc).

How many of you suffer with sinus symptoms? Once you get a stuffy nose, does it seem to take forever to go away? How do you deal with it? Right now, even my face feels a little puffy around my nose...it's driving me nuts and I am sure it is related to food, but not an 'allergy' I really think I have this LPR.

Last edited by darcywil; 12-03-2012 at 05:55 AM. Reason: I forgot to add ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: LPR question relating to stuffy nose and sinus issues

I've had major sinus and allergy problems my entire adult life. Allergy shots for my 28 worst allergies helped, but I still often ended up with about 4 sinus infections a year with each one lasting about 2 months.

In 2008, I had a Nissen Fundoplication because my acid reflux was causing me major breathing problems. Post-surgery, over time, I realized I wasn't having the same sinus problems that I'd had before surgery. In fact, I've had only about 3 infections since surgery and I got them all under control within a couple weeks. While I'd associated my reflux issues with my asthma and throat problems for years, I never realized how significantly my sinus issues were also related.

I don't have any easy answer for you. With symptoms that are the same for several issues, I really don't always know what is triggering my problems. I actually worked with an ENT/Allergist, Pulmonologist, Primary Care Physician and a Gastroentrologist to get things in balance. When I have flares, I usually end up seeing each of them at some point. The frustrating thing was that I had to figure a lot of this out on my own and put my own team of people together. I'm pleased with my current doctors though. My Pulmonologist actually commends me for asking tons of questions and not giving up when it could be so easy to.

I'm not sure if this has helped, but through my own personal experience I can confirm the LPR and sinus connection. It is hard for me to share individual treatment strategies because my acid reflux has been tested to be on the extremely severe side which is abnormal. Also, my issues tend to trigger cycles of each other so I have to find the balance each time I flare. For example, bad coughing from an asthma flare tends to trigger my acid reflux to get worse.

Closed Thread

Tags
itchy throat, lpr (laryngopharyngeal reflux), lump in throat, sinus issues, swollen glands