It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
(female)

JonewbieUK HB User
Lpr?

Hi all, am new to this forum, nut been reading on here for the last week or so.

Bit about me, I've had a lump in my throat for as long as I can remember, always had a sore throat, sound bunged up but not, and ear problems. At 17 had my tonsils out to help with recurrent ear infections from age 3-17, that worked but then always had post nasal drip a sore throat and the slightest thing would make it worse I.e air con, bad night sleep, night out, breathing in smoke (am a non smoker so is all my family). Always thought it was just me and put up with it. 3.5 years ago the lump feeling began to really bother me so I went to GP who referred me for a tube down the throat to take a look, found put I was pregnant so I didn't want to go be knocked out and left it. All was fine until about 3 months ago.

I have always had slight tinnitus, but rather than the odd ringing or high pitched squeal it was constant heartbeat, this let to me worrying something was wrong. Worry upon worry for weeks led to a mild panic attack, I say mild but it was really scary! Went to GP who said I needed less stress, easier said than done working full time with 2 kids! Then I had another one a week later, managed to ride it out but the next day my breathing was a bit funny, just like I couldn't quite catch my breath, not all the time just the odd breath. After a week I still wasn't right and the dr said it was probably in my head do I want anti anxiety meds, to which I said no thanks. This shortness of breath has been there ever since, which was then joined by a horrible cough, constant throat clearing, feeling of excess mucus and fullness feeling from top of my stomach to my neck, not being able to eat much has lost me 0.5 a stone in the last few weeks. So I went to GP again and there was a locum there who said it all actually sounds like silent reflux/LPR based on my allways burning throat and these new symptoms and put me on omeprazole 20mg x 2 a day for 4 months then 1 a day for two months and gaviscon after meals and at bedtime. It's got to the point where I'm in agony from coughing so much, my ribs and top of my stomach the most (my lungs are clear so no infection although he's given me antibiotics just in case) and last night I had two tiny boiled potatoes and a spoon of peas to eat all day! I'm soooo hungry!

If you got this far well done, and I have a few questions, which may seem a bit silly, first is I've had heartburn before but don't get it now, so how do I know when I am refluxing acid and to take gaviscon? Is it when I'm proper coughing lots? Second, do I go back to GP (who I think is still sure it's in my head) and ask him to refer me to ENT/Gastro? Will it really make any difference? He seems quite reluctant to look into it further.

I know I need to change my diet, I pretty much eat rubbish all the time and I'm willing to do that but at the moment I just can't eat anything. Even considering the anti anxiety meds just to see if it helps. Although all this said I can have a really good day then bam it comes back with a vengeance the next day.

Thanks for reading my waffle

The following user gives a hug of support to JonewbieUK:
mustangsangel13 (01-13-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
Re: Lpr?

I would suggest its time to get the upper GI scope that you missed years back.
ENT are great for certain things but are not train in recognition of some stomach disorders or throat issue.as for taking Gavicscon It's a bit of trial and error I wold suggest for atleast 3 solid days straight taking it after ever meal atleast twice daily until what sounds like your inflammation goes down.prior to eating you can also take DGL chews that will help coat your stomach as well or even a teaspoon of honey buckwheat is the best if you don't mind the taste.lets say you we're going to eat something naughty like a fatty piece or something yummy a teaspoon of obey with ease your throat from irritation.
Good luck and get scoped soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch1one For This Useful Post:
JonewbieUK (12-08-2012)
Old 12-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
(female)

JonewbieUK HB User

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I have read about honey but I absolutely hate anything even slightly honey tasting, however it it helps I'm willing to suck it up and just force it down! I have also read about vitamin d deficiency, something I'm going to ask blood tests for next week, I don't want to start taking extra vitamins if I don't need to. I do stay out of the sun, when we get it in the UK!, because I burn horrendously and my grandmother had skin cancer a couple of years ago. I managed a mixed jam sandwich today and I feel ok no burn and minimal coughing, still have nagging chest pain but probably more from the constant coughing the last few weeks. I do feel I'm going to have to practically force my GP to refer me as he thinks its all on my head! I will not take no for an answer though.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User

I have migrating chest daily from a hiatal hernai and I also do not like honey must but it can really help how about daily probiotic ?

Old 12-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
(female)

JonewbieUK HB User

So last night I felt really great, this evening I don't know what's wrong but my chest really hurts sometimes it radiates down my arm too, it feels like when you breathe in really really cold air that hurts. I will be attempting a dr appointment sometime this week but Dr here is shocking, you have to be practically dying to get a same day appointment then when you get one they tell you to come down at 11 or 2 then wait till you're seen whilst we have NHS here it's massively abused and at breaking point, so I may use my private medical insurance just to help find an answer.

Or maybe I'm just being impatient, I've been on omeprazole for 2 and a bit weeks, should it make a difference by now? Given I'm barely eating and when I do it's bland foods like brown rice or brown bread, you would think I wouldn't have anything in me to cause reflux.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Just ate about an hour ago which s always the worst time for me with either chest pain or pressure so first things do is a swig of Gaviscon which just took. And if there is still issues I ake a anti gas pill. Don't be afraid to take a Zantac 150 along with your meal to assist with your issue my GI doctor says its safe i know this for sure because I do this frequently to helps with the chest pains front,back,left ,right you name it i have had pain there have for some years and the arm yes I get them there also of course when you have them in the left arm you think AHHH! Heart attack but nope I haven't died from them yet LOL since I hit 40 this year my PCP or GP want me to get cleared with a cardioligic with a treadmill test and echocardiogram I'm having both of them the 20 of this month but like the cardioligic said when I saw I'm last week he's 99% sure I'm all clear but will run them anyways to make me feel better when he found out I had a hiatal hernai he said oh I'm sorry for you those mimic heart attacks. A lot of my patient don't know they have them when they come in for chest pain

Old 12-10-2012, 05:12 AM   #7
(female)

JonewbieUK HB User

This is so crap but what really amazes me is the scale of people who have had this, yet drs don't seem to know much about it.

I walked into work this morning and promptly burst into tears because i couldn't get an appointment for my GP so the people I work with said enough is enough were taking to to A&E. i tried to argue cos I didn't want to be seen as wasting their time.

However I went nearly passed out on the way from weakness and dizziness, they did an ECG fine, checked bloods fine, did lung X-ray fine. Said my extreme weakness is definitely lack of food and that I have to ring my GP and get referred for an endoscopy. Said in the meantime carry on with omeprazole and gaviscon and if I can't get solid food in me to try a meal replacement drink like they give elderly people, I'm 33!!!!! Anyway I'm halfway through the first one and its going down well

I mentioned this to someone else in the office who said his wife had this too caused by a virus, he's going to ask her what she eventually did to make it subside.

I think with all these pains etc the worst thing is the not knowing what's causing it, well deep down you know it's reflux but that little portion of your brain late at night tells you no its not its something really bad!

Just to add to it all I've woke up with a proper sore throat today, not acid related but a real sore throat.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Poor poor thing I have been where you are trip to the EMergency room.Please keep in mind I recently saw my doctor who switched me from omeprazole to Nexuim because I felt like it was not working well 3 days into Nexuim all seemed well then whammo horide naseua and dizzy spells. Your PPI medication that you are taking can make you dizzy also so I recently for a week now have only been taking zantac one in morning one in the evening and Gaviscon twice a day. So far it's working for how long I don't but I have hope. You need to drink the shakes I all away have those handy for those bad days. And I'm only 40 so it's ok your just frustrated its ok here is a great place to vent.mashed potatoes scrambled eggs are also good food choices this will get better.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
(female)

JonewbieUK HB User

GP decided he could fit me in yesterday, he was about to up my omeprazole but then realised I was already on 2 a day. Told me he didn't think the endoscopy would show anything but did the referral anyway, probably just to keep me out of his office till after Xmas! He thinks that with my tablets and gaviscon I will be ok by Xmas, I hope so cos I love my food and going to my mothers for Xmas dinner! And all the chocolates and alcohol lol he also told me not to bother with meal replacement shakes, but you know what I feel better having them, I was so weak, irritable and starving from not getting anything in me, plus it won't do me any harm to lose a bit of weight anyway. I've actually eaten a small meal tonight which was good, I can see how this can easily encourage eating disorders in people you could become too scared to eat!

How long have you been having the symptoms for? It seems many on here have suffered for years.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Mine have all been from about this time last years except for the heartburn had that off and on for 10 years. Just within the last year have I had all the additional prolem just hit I don't know why the migrating chest,back pains are a bit scary but as long as you get your heart cleared that eases the mind a lot.I keep looking for some supplement or wonder pill to fix this but no luck Lol. So I take my zantac 150 2 times a day supplement Gaviscon as needed and live with smaller meals and more exercise and yes I can totally see how it could lead to more eating problems.The side effects of the long term use of the Zantac is not great but at least I can eat stuff within reason.so load up on the meds and enjoy Christmas with the family.

JonewbieUK (12-14-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
(female)

JonewbieUK HB User

Hey stretch1one hope your'e doing ok. I'm good, started drinking probiotic drinks in the morning and taking two acidophilus tablets (3billion live cultures per tablet) a day cut my omeprazole to one a day, although had none today and been feeling alright. I couldnt bring myself to spend £25 ($40) on manuka honey when i just cannot stand the taste of honey lol. I still get a little shortness of breath at times but nothing like it was a couple of weeks ago, also I can clear the mucus. I really hope these probiotics is gonna help and have my fingers firmly crossed! Also booked my endoscopy today for 18th jan, over here dr refers you and you book the appointment. I've eaten loads this week in comparison to the last two months bring on Christmas food and drink.....still in moderation though just in case happy holidays to you!

Old 12-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
(female)

sam1115 HB User

I have just been diagnosed with reflux...I am seeking all of the info and advice I can get..can you tell me more about the honey buckwheat?

Old 12-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
(female)

sam1115 HB User

Can you tell me if there is a difference between tums and gaviscon?

Old 12-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
Veteran
(male)

Hi there UK girl
I'm so glad to hear things are better for you!!!
So a liquid probiotic ?? Hmmm I've never had that only the pills how do they taste? Different flavored? You've peaked my interest LOL
So are you ready for Mums house and all the goodies yum yum I'm glad to hear that you will have a good Christmas remember just keep trying if this doesn't fix it try something else otherwise you loose hope.Do you have the DGL chews other there to try they are great before meals.My good friend swears by apple cider vinegar but I've never tried if I were desperate enough I would i even bought some but...... I just leave it in the fridge phew it sticks

Happy holiday PLEASE follow through with your doc on the endo any ?? About just ask I've had a couple soo I'm no expert but I've bee n through it .

Oh Sam tums is supposed to neutralize the acid in your stomach and Gaviscon will provide a buffer of sorts sort the acid can't get to your throat they can both be used together.The honey Buckwheat you take before you eat it coats your throat then you eat right after it will protect your throat for several hour to help with the discomfort or pain from heartburn/Gerds/reflux/LPR .

sam1115 (12-20-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 04:15 AM   #15
(female)

JonewbieUK HB User

The liquid probiotic is a yogurt drink flavoured with lots of different fruits, it's called actimel, Danone or yakult. The fruit ones have about 1billion cultures in it I think and they taste really nice. Well I've felt so good I went out last night drinking! First time since April, wine didn't like me but spirits and Pepsi went down great, no hangover no acid no pain

I too have heard of apple cider vinegar but I haven't tried it yet, i just don't get adding more acid to acid and scared of feeling worse.

Sam from what I have read the uk gaviscon is a lot stronger than us/Canadian gaviscon, I have to say I think it's really good, when I do feel heartburn it soothes it straight away.

Reply Reply