It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
(male)

DarknessDew HB User
Exclamation Is LPR untreatable ??

going through out the forum i found that medicines and surgeries are useless to cure LPR. so is this true ??
have any of you get cured of it ??

I am tired of that feeling of mucus in my throat. that i really started to hate life and wish death because of it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Is LPR untreatable ??

I'm not aware of any "cure" for LPR.

With the right strategies, it is possible to get the symptoms under control. It really is an individual thing with regards to effectiveness. I've had LPR for many years. I was able to keep it under control very well for a very long time.

Unfortunately, I had other triggering factors and I lost some of that control a few years ago. Now, I have periods of time that I have no symptoms, then I'll have a flare for a bit before I get the symptoms back under control.

It really is all about finding the best strategies for your symptom control. If you are only looking for a "cure" you may be disappointed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User

I had surgery and I take PPIs, Ranitidine and Gaviscon, but I still suffer. I agree, there is no cure the best you can hope for is that at times it's not so bad. Dietary changes have helped, especially avoiding alcohol and chocolate and eating smaller meals.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
(male)

DarknessDew HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaJ View Post
I had surgery and I take PPIs, Ranitidine and Gaviscon, but I still suffer. I agree, there is no cure the best you can hope for is that at times it's not so bad. Dietary changes have helped, especially avoiding alcohol and chocolate and eating smaller meals.
What do you feel exactly after having this surgery done ??
i mean did the feel of mucus / lump in your throat go away after the surgery
and do you still need the PPi's to stop that feeling

and did this feeling go away just by PPi's before doing the surgery ??

thank you in advanced

Old 12-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessDew View Post
What do you feel exactly after having this surgery done ??
i mean did the feel of mucus / lump in your throat go away after the surgery
and do you still need the PPi's to stop that feeling

and did this feeling go away just by PPi's before doing the surgery ??

thank you in advanced
The feeling of the lump in my throat went away after surgery. I still need medication though to control the reflux into my throat. Even with the medication I get mucus in my throat and sometimes a sore throat. I also get a blocked/runny nose and watery eyes, even with medication, but not all the time. Most of the time I have some symptoms.

I had the surgery because the medication did not control the symptoms at all. I was in a bad way. Since the surgery I still suffer, but not as bad. I have also reduced most of my stress and I live a quiet life.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
(male)

DarknessDew HB User

so the surgery was worth it ?
because i live with this feeling in my throat 24 hour that i really suffered enough from it, and i tried all type of midicines.

i am serious to have a surgery very soon maybe after some few days

Last edited by Administrator; 12-17-2012 at 06:55 PM.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

I'm not entirely sure the surgery was worth it for me. My body and situation will be different to you and you cannot base what you do on how things have turned out for me. Everyone is different with different experiences. You need to talk to your doctor, not me. My experience is just one experience. The doctors know about lots of other people.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-17-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
(male)

DarknessDew HB User

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure the surgery was worth it for me. My body and situation will be different to you and you cannot base what you do on how things have turned out for me. Everyone is different with different experiences. You need to talk to your doctor, not me. My experience is just one experience. The doctors know about lots of other people.
yes you are right, but the problem is whenever i ask the doctors they just say continue to take PPi's although i feel no any change up-till now
and i only suffer from the mucus feeling in my throat no more
and i was diagnosed to have lpr after i had a pH probe test

so was the feeling of lump in your throat typically as if it is very sticky mucus that you cannot swallow

i am sorry for asking allot
and thanks in advance

Old 12-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Yes that's how it felt.

The Following User Says Thank You to JanaJ For This Useful Post:
DarknessDew (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
(male)

DarknessDew HB User

Quote:
Yes that's how it felt.
and how long did it take for the feeling to go away after the surgery ?

Old 12-18-2012, 04:23 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessDew View Post
and how long did it take for the feeling to go away after the surgery ?
The lump in my throat was gone immediately, but that was all that went. I was still plagued by mucus and sore throats and coughing.

The Following User Says Thank You to JanaJ For This Useful Post:
DarknessDew (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
(male)

DarknessDew HB User

Quote:
The lump in my throat was gone immediately, but that was all that went. I was still plagued by mucus and sore throats and coughing.
yes i got it. thanks allot Jana for your great help
and i hope you get better by time

and i will ask other people for their experience with such a surgery to gather more information on different cases

thanks allot

Old 01-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #13
(male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User

Darkness Due, did your "LPR" start really suddenly?

The symptoms you are describing sound identical to what happened to me two years ago.

I strongly recommend that you do not get surgery. My symptoms were exactly the same and I couldn't bear it either, so I thought about surgery.

If your symptoms started during a cold, trust me, surgery will not do anything except make the surgeon a little richer.

The best think is seriously time. It will gradually improve. Or drugs like lyrica, baclofen, or benzoates. Just eat whatever you want, is my suggestion. For me, things got a lot better after 1.5 months of pure hell on earth.

I assure you if you get surgery, you will wake up with the same feeling in your throat, but if you want to try it anyway, I just plead for the sake of science and everyone here that you post a message telling everyone if it eliminated your throat sensation.

Unless you had bad heartburn all the time and then slowly got the throat symptoms, it's probably nerve damage caused by an infection.

So it's really important to know, did you have a cold or flu when your throat problem began?

Old 01-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #14
(male)

DarknessDew HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Sunrise View Post
Darkness Due, did your "LPR" start really suddenly?

The symptoms you are describing sound identical to what happened to me two years ago.

I strongly recommend that you do not get surgery. My symptoms were exactly the same and I couldn't bear it either, so I thought about surgery.

If your symptoms started during a cold, trust me, surgery will not do anything except make the surgeon a little richer.

The best think is seriously time. It will gradually improve. Or drugs like lyrica, baclofen, or benzoates. Just eat whatever you want, is my suggestion. For me, things got a lot better after 1.5 months of pure hell on earth.

I assure you if you get surgery, you will wake up with the same feeling in your throat, but if you want to try it anyway, I just plead for the sake of science and everyone here that you post a message telling everyone if it eliminated your throat sensation.

Unless you had bad heartburn all the time and then slowly got the throat symptoms, it's probably nerve damage caused by an infection.

So it's really important to know, did you have a cold or flu when your throat problem began?
Hello i am very glad for your reply
well, actually i cannot remember if the problem has appeared suddenly or after a cold or flue because this started six years ago when i was 13 years old
so i didn't give attention, but i always complained of mucus feeling in my throat but it wasn't as aggressive as i feel it now
and i took all PP's ever and none of them worked for me, also i took baclofen, yet no any change
that's why i thought of making the surgery
and one week ago i thought of making a pH probe test but this time i will make the test during the taking of PPi's and then i can evaluate of there is still an reflux that is causing my throat feeling
so if the result was acidic then i will go for the surgery
but if the result showed no acid, then i am not sure what should i do

Reply Reply

Tags
lpr (laryngopharyngeal reflux), lump in throat, reflux symptoms, throat clearing