It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
(male)

guitarman17 HB User
Pain after 3rd surgery for acid reflux

Hi everyone,

I had my first surgery (nissen fudoplication) in 2000, that herniated and they had to do another surgery in 2001 to repair the hernia and insert a mesh patch. Both times they had to cut me from just below the center of my rib cage to below my belly button. On October 10, 2012 I had an emergency surgery because the mesh patch perforated my small intestine.

I have been in constant pain just below my belly button and just below my rib cage on the left side. I am currently on gabapentin (300mg) and percocet (5/325mg) as well as dicyclomine and polyetholine glyco. The percocet helps for about 40 minutes the gabapentin helps a little.

I am going to be seeing the pain management doctor on Friday morning. I'm not sure what to expect. I have been dealing with pain since 2000, this is the most severe pain i've ever had to deal with. I'm not sleeping (only about 4-6 hours of restless sleep) and I haven't been able to work since the pain is so severe it makes me feel sick to my stomach. When I bend down I see stars. To touch it is very painful. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to guitarman17:
MountainReader (12-12-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #2
(female)

luvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB User
Re: Pain after 3rd surgery for acid reflux

Hello and Welcome
I am sorry that you are having such disappointing results to the surgeries. I know it is really frustrating. What did the doctor say about all of this. Is this a fixable problem. I would love to give you some insight on what your appointment with a pain management doctor will be like but honestly I am not too sure. Most doctors refer they patients to pain management when they are having chronic pain and it is something that will probably be a long lasting issue. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of people who see pain doctors for issues that doesn't last a long period of time. Most of the time if it is something that can be fixed your primary doctor will prescribe whatever meds you need. With the problem you are having, I don't think any other treatment will help other than medication. But I am not sure. I am a pain management patient and have been for several years. I have a auto immune disease that has caused several other health issues. So the steps that I went through with pain management is not going to be the same as yours. But the bottom line is when you go, you make sure the doctor has as much of your records as you can get. Also be honest and make sure you tell them exactly how you are feeling. What this pain is doing to you and how it is crippling your day to day life. If the doctor takes you as a patient, they may want you to sign a contract. The contract is the doctors way of protecting their selves due to all the new laws that the DEA has enforced. Make sure you read the contract and make sure you follow the rules of the contract. After you sign the contract and you break a rule, the doctor can't dismiss you as a patient. No questions asks, and it makes it very hard to find another pain management doctor to take you on as a patient. At your appointment the doctor will let you know what they can do for you. Now once you do start going to the pain doctor, you will not be able to get your percocets from who ever is prescribing them to you now. That will be part of the contract. You can't get narcotics from multiple doctors. If you have a pain doctor and they are going to prescribe your meds don't take any prescriptions for narcotics from your other doctors. I think in your situation, you are just going to have to see for yourself how the appointment goes. You'll be fine Good luck and I hope you get the treatment you deserve so that you can start to feel better. Please keep me posted and let me know how the appointment goes.
Pancreatic Stent
Osteoarthritis
Stroke
Leukopenia
Migraines
Power Port implant 2010
Total Right Hip Replacement

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
nissen, pain, reflux