It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
(female)

kstory HB User
Dexilant: are two 30 mg the same as one 60?

I have had LPR for about 10 years. After trying everything else, none of which worked, I've been on 60 mg of Dexilant once a day for several years. It is working great, and so now I would like to see if I can taper off it. My doctor, pharmacist, and I thought it made sense to try taking two 30 mg capsules instead of one 60 mg, which would allow me to try cutting back to one 30 mg pill, but go back to 60 if needed (without having to get a new 60 mg prescription).

I started taking two 30 mg capsules a few days ago and my reflux symptoms have come roaring back Here are my questions:

- Are two 30 mg capsules equivalent to one 60 mg, and if not, why not?
- How long should I try tapering off (if I'm still having symptoms) before giving up and staying on this stuff forever?

Thanks,
Karen

Old 12-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Dexilant: are two 30 mg the same as one 60?

I don't know the full answer, but taking two 30 mg pills should be exactly the same as taking one 60 mg pill, as long as you are taking them together.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
(female)

kstory HB User

I am taking the two 30 mg capsules at the same time, but am having severe symptoms. It doesn't make sense to me either.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Hi, 2 x 30mg capsules should be the same as 1 x 60mg capsule. However, from experience of tapering off and endless counting out the contents of the capsules I have found that different batches of the drug can vary by 1 or 2 or even 3mg. So, it may not be the fact you are taking 2 30s that is causing the pain, it may be that the 2 30s are slightly less total content than the previous 60s you were taking. If this is the case then, in effect you have already done your first taper, hence the pain. Stick with it, without doing any further tapering off until you normalise and then try cutting back. You may find that cutting down by a whole 30mg is too much in one go, in which case you can taper down in smaller increments by removing some of the contents of the capsule, or cutting pills in half or quarters. Discuss with pharmacist if concerned. Good luck

Old 12-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
(female)

kstory HB User

Thank you so much for this helpful response! I can't tell you how much it means to have this board as a support and resource.

Reply Reply