It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
(male)

Stockster HB UserStockster HB User
LPR - GERD Symptom?

Hi All,

I have GERD and LPR and I live the usual misery when I have flareups. The question I have is if anyone else out there has swelling of the throat?

The reason I ask is that I have had the hoarsness, the soar throats, the taste of acid and the heartburn that goes with these disorders for a year now. The one thing that is new, as noticed by my ENT, is that my throat is really swollen, but the vocal chords and area are not red and raw? I notice it when breathing and swallowing. Not unbearable at all, but more annoying and concerning as inflammation is never a good thing.

Thanks all, and have a great day!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
Re: LPR - GERD Symptom?

Stock

Have you had a endo from a proper GI Dr
Because although ENT are great they are not trained to recognize all the things a GI is I found this out many years ago.I have had the swollen/inflamed throat many times lumps the whole gambit I have had the pleasure of having Gerds for almost 10 years. Flares up suck and will likely get worse over the years without treatment or diet change but its very hard to always pass up the good food that there is.
Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
(male)

Thanks Stretch.

I have a GI and a ENT. The GI did a scope and put me on 40 mgs of Nexium, twice daily, plus a digestive aid and recommended taking zantac 75 or 150 if I had a flare up. I have been disgnosed with confirmed GERD with a small hiatal hernia. All the LPR symptoms are present. I visit the ENT to just make sure my vocal chords and throat, above the Esophagus, are not getting severely damaged.

In my experience, the GI only looks at the Esophagus and down into the stomach, but completely ignores the throat and vocal chords, even though they being affected by the GERD.

This is a horrible HORRIBLE dissorder... I just had a Ph test done and am awaiting the results. Murphy's law... When I had the test I was at a 'stable' stage. Then the next week I had a flare-up and the added swelling in the throat.

I've been investigating surgery options (TIF, Nissen, LINX) but all these horror stories are very cencerning. I know that this forum is full of people that had bad experiences, and that these do not outway the overwelming success rates, but still...

I keep thinking to myself that this isn't a cold... That this is a life issue. Being on the max doses of ant acid medicine at 37 is making lean toward one of the surgeries... Nissen sounds to the most effective, but I worry about how this is a perminant digestive change that cannot be reversed..... At least with LINX the system can be removed...

Thoughts?

Old 12-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
(male)

Thanks Stretch.

I have a GI and a ENT. The GI did a scope and put me on 40 mgs of Nexium, twice daily, plus a digestive aid and recommended taking zantac 75 or 150 if I had a flare up. I have been disgnosed with confirmed GERD with a small hiatal hernia. All the LPR symptoms are present. I visit the ENT to just make sure my vocal chords and throat, above the Esophagus, are not getting severely damaged.

In my experience, the GI only looks at the Esophagus and down into the stomach, but completely ignores the throat and vocal chords, even though they being affected by the GERD.

This is a horrible HORRIBLE dissorder... I just had a Ph test done and am awaiting the results. Murphy's law... When I had the test I was at a 'stable' stage. Then the next week I had a flare-up and the added swelling in the throat.

I've been investigating surgery options (TIF, Nissen, LINX) but all these horror stories are very concerning. I know that this forum is full of people that had bad experiences, and that these do not out-way the overwhelming success rates, but still...

I keep thinking to myself that this isn't a cold... That this is a life issue. Being on the max doses of ant acid medicine at 37 is making lean toward one of the surgeries... Nissen sounds to the most effective, but I worry about how this is a permanent digestive change that cannot be reversed..... At least with LINX the system can be removed...

Thoughts?

Old 12-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User

I am taking a wait a see approach with technology and more awareness of gerds and hiatal hernias. I am 40 5'11" 223lbs so the first thing I'm trying is to lose some weight first I have lost 5 lbs within the last week and a half and things do seem to be better of course I'm eating smaller amounts I have heard really good things about TIF but am very Leary cause it is so new

Reply Reply