It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
(female)

sam1115 HB User
New to GERD. Advice, Insight??

New to GERD and to this site... I would like any info out there on GERD...I started having what felt like "lumps" in my throat about 2 months ago as well as severe pressure in my upper throat and throat dryness ..I finally gave in and went to the doc..he suspected I had GERD, this was news to me as I had not had any heartburn..it didn't make sense to me. He started me on Prilosec, and after 2 weeks my symptoms worsened..my throat was swollen and tight that I would gag and wretch and even the thought of brushing my teeth or sometimes just from swallowing. I felt awful ..could not function as a normal human being and went to the ER. In ER they did lab work..all which was normal and a CT of my neck..also normal. The ER doc deduced that i had severe GERD and gave me protonix IV and started me on carafate tablets...none of this helped either. I was then referred to an ENT.. He put a scope down my nose into my throat.. All that he found was that my throat was inflammed..he said the lumps that I was feeling was simply my own swollen throat tissue. He started me on liquid carafate instead of the tabs... A few weeks later, still no relief and more symptoms..now I was having chest pressure, back pain, belching but lesser of the swollen throat feeling. I called my doc and he stopped the Prilosec and started me on Dexilant 60mg daily as of today..I am really hoping this helps, I am not sure what else I can do... Any suggestions or insight???? I have already cut caffeine, carbonated beverages, spicy and fatty foods out of my diet..and have elevated the head of my bed (though I have never woke up with issues in the middle of the night). Help???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User
Re: New to GERD. Advice, Insight??

Doctors seem to love diagnosing GERD and give out proton pump inhibitors as a test to see if they will help. Sounds like your throat lumps could have been just that - lumps in the throat, maybe caused by an infection or irritant. Or, it could be you have the lump in the throat feeling that people get with indigestion, and that is normally caused by insufficient stomach acid, hence an explanation why all the acid suppressing drugs made your symptoms worse, as they would be excerbating the problem.

Some of the new symptoms you describe could be side effects of the medications, back ache, chest pain, belching are common side effects.

Think carefully about going down the slippery slope of taking medications for something that you don't even know that you have as they can end up making you worse.

Maybe try some natural remedies to help your throat. I would recommend manuka honey. You could try apple cidar vinegar diluted in water, if it helps your symptoms, that is an indication you had insufficient acid. If it makes it worse - don't do it again as it can hurt if you have inflammation.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Since your throat looked inflamed, was a simple throat culture done? Do you ever get throat infections? Was your thyroid gland checked? Do you have allergies? Fever or swollen glands? This doesn't sound like GERD to me. You have not responded to any of the usual treatments for it, and usually symptoms are worse at night and include some kind of "heartburn" feeling. I would try an antihistamine if you have any allergies or itching in your throat, something nondrowsy like Claritin or fexofenadine, OTC. That is easy, benign, and many throat irritations are allergy related.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
(female)

sam1115 HB User

I have no allergies at all. Yes..they did an ultrasound of my thyroid and lab work..all ok.. the ent said he sees this a lot with gerd..the swollen throat tissue..

Old 12-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
(female)

sam1115 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacyc View Post
Doctors seem to love diagnosing GERD and give out proton pump inhibitors as a test to see if they will help. Sounds like your throat lumps could have been just that - lumps in the throat, maybe caused by an infection or irritant. Or, it could be you have the lump in the throat feeling that people get with indigestion, and that is normally caused by insufficient stomach acid, hence an explanation why all the acid suppressing drugs made your symptoms worse, as they would be excerbating the problem.

Some of the new symptoms you describe could be side effects of the medications, back ache, chest pain, belching are common side effects.

Think carefully about going down the slippery slope of taking medications for something that you don't even know that you have as they can end up making you worse.

Maybe try some natural remedies to help your throat. I would recommend manuka honey. You could try apple cidar vinegar diluted in water, if it helps your symptoms, that is an indication you had insufficient acid. If it makes it worse - don't do it again as it can hurt if you have inflammation.
My throat is not sore.. and much of the swelling is gone.. I now mostly have the pressure in my throat anddown my sternal area...like everything is going in the opposite direction of what it should be..ugh..so frustrated....

Old 12-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
(male)

tom9412 HB User

same boat with me, get your lymph nodes checked and your paratoid glands thyroid the whole deal - a lot of these docs have no frringing clue unless your dying they say gerd gerd acid reflux, get checked out I have an enlarged lymph node 1.8cm and the pins needle pain I gewt i firmly belive is from my lymph node enlarged being hyperqactive, they key is what I have learned if you feel a lump hard and painless that's a sign of somethig else, if you feel pain liek I do well who knows there's a million causes but get your lymph nodes and teh rest above checked out via ultrasound.

Reply Reply