HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acid Reflux / GERD (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/)
-   -   what CAN you eat and drink with Reflux?? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/932474-what-can-you-eat-drink-reflux.html)

sam1115 12-20-2012 04:34 PM

what CAN you eat and drink with Reflux??

Brand new to reflux..half afraid to eat anything... what can you eat with this, and what things should definitely be avoided???

winghall 12-20-2012 07:10 PM

Re: what CAN you eat and drink with Reflux??

I would avoid alcohol, coffee, chocolate, tomatoes and fatty food.
Other than that, you need to experiment the food yourself and keep a note.
I eat plain food: vegies, fruits, brown rice and fish most of the time.

Honestly, I have LPR and I have not been able to see much linkage with food. I still have LPR regardless how much care taken on diet. Every one is different. I just hope that one day it will go away by itself. Good luck

Seekingpeace12 12-28-2012 10:07 PM

Natural juices are great for people with reflux. You can buy a juice extractor and make your own and get the full benefits of the fruit. Jumex also makes natural fruit juices that are known to help with reflux, are low in sodium and high in minerals, vitamins and iron depending on the fruit. I love their mango and Guava juices. They also make them in peach, pear, strawberry and other flavors. You can find Jumex in Mexican grocery stores as well as some Wal-Marts. I was drinking nothing but water for months and finally got tired of it. I now enjoy a nice cold juice now and then.

Worrybucket 12-29-2012 02:33 AM

Not much.
Foods I avoid are pickles,chocolate and wine. These three are guaranteed to set my heartburn off, especially wine, I just can't touch it anymore.
I take a prescribed dose of ranitidine (Zantac) which always knocks out the burning. I have a hiatul hernia which makes mine worse. The best way I avoid it is to keep my stomach weight down, that helps me a lot. But it's miserable, I understand what you are going through. You just have to educate yourself as to what you can tolerate and what you cannot.

GDUBBS123 12-29-2012 08:14 AM

I think there is more we can eat than people realize. The real problem is with sauces, flavorings, dressings....very limited. I have LPR and have cut out all the usual suspects but I have found that JUST as important as what i eat is how much I eat and move around (bending over especially) after eating. Timing 4 or 5 small meals and having to time my last meal three or four hours before bedtime is just as bad and that's what's doing my head in.

Today in the morning I had rice/millet cereal with lactaid low fat milk. I tolerate that reallyl well and like it a lot (don't feel deprived in the least) but today I went food shopping right after and was bending and lifting and I got that burn in my throat. So I took some Gaviscon and i'm ok now.

Next meal whole wheat/flax pita bread with sliced white meat turkey and lettuce and a tiny bit of low fat mayo. Like a teaspoon. It's not too dry and I can also dress the lettuce with a teaspoon of low fat carrot ginger dressing. I'm sure i can have more than a teaspoon but i'm going slow.

Then I might have a smoothie with a little bit of plain yoghurt and banana, apple or carrot apple ginger (I have a vitamix for that)

And my last meal might be an omelette with broccoli and a little bit of feta cheese.

I am doing the koufman diet (she is also my doctor) and once i was out of the induction phase I've really enjoyed figuring it all out.

I am hoping to reintroduce the "trigger foods" one at a time to figure out what I can have (i'm praying to God it's wine and chocolate) but for now it's not that bad. Hope I gave you some ideas. Dr. Koufman's book recipes are too complicated for me but i can get ideas from it.

Good luck.

Shelley5716 12-30-2012 05:31 AM

Do any of u have problems with foods like broccoli, salty foods, etc? I think some of that causes mine to act up too ... and too much fried foods.

solofelix 12-30-2012 07:26 AM

I tied cutting out all sorts of foods with my reflux and can honestly say it made no difference at all.
As I have a Hiatal-Hernia and have had two Ulcers, I cannot tolerate wine or spicy foods.
I have no problem at all with chocolate (just as well as I eat lots of it).
It really is a case of what suits one may not suit another.
Good Luck,

Solofelix.

sam1115 12-30-2012 11:03 AM

I have cut out caffiene, chocolate, fatty..breaded..fried foods, most dairy, sauces, spicy foods and carbonated beverages and coffee..I. on dexilant for 2 weeks now, and dont eat anything 3 hours before bedtime..and have my head of bed elevated and I am finally feeling better...Thank God. I am not sure what or which things are my triggers and I am about afraid to add things back in order to find out cause I dont want to ruin the pogress that ive made...no lumps in my throat..hooray for that!! Also..I have been taking slippery elm for a week now... not sure what is helping exactly..the rx, diet, slippery elm..or all 3..?!

kanded 12-30-2012 01:37 PM

Keep going, you're actually doing great if your symptoms are better! That's wonderful. Slippery elm helped my son's GERD. It helps heal the esophagus and the stomach lining by coating it. Omitting the other foods are going a long ways towards healing your digestive tract. I would add in the food that is most valuable to you and maybe leave the other ones alone for awhile. Although coffee is usually an obvious GERD trigger, maybe you can try some coffee substitute from the health food store?