It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
(female)

Chrissie B HB User
LPR -as something else? Vagus nerve damage?

Following on from the thread ’LPR as something else, falsely being treated as acid reflux? ‘

I think I am cured!!! Thank you so much ‘Seeking Sunrise’ for advice posted.

I have suffered from occasional cricopharyngeal spasms following stressful employment situations. The last occasion it kicked in was two days prior to undergoing a big spinal operation in September. I told the anaesthetist about this. After the 3 hour operation I was put in intensive care because my oxygen saturation levels were low and I was on oxygen until I was discharged.

Immediately I knew my breathing was ‘wrong’. I knew it started from the date of my operation. It was like my lungs were set permanently at ‘1’ and would not change or increase the oxygen demand 'setting' for climbing stairs, walking up a slight incline etc. As a consequence I was continually breathless. I was also coughing a lot and latterly I have been awash with a clear phlegmy stuff.

Within days of discharge from hospital I went to my big GP practice to say ‘I can’t breathe’ and started the fun game of Diagnosis Roulette. Although I stressed that it started from my operation date to everyone I met, nobody took this on board.

The first GP sent me to the hospital for tests for pulmonary embolism – chest X rays/ECG but all clear.
The second said it was anxiety and prescribed Valium.
The third found that as I smoked (25gm packet of ‘baccy’ lasts me a year) it must be COPD.
The third diagnosed that as I did wood turning for a hobby, it was emphysema.
The fourth said it was obviously GERD and prescribed PPI’s and an inhaler ‘in case it’s asthma’.

I didn’t take any of the meds. I had been looking at LPR on the internet but only had coughing and breathlessness so it didn’t really fit. I spent £50 in Gaviscon but nothing helped until last night.

I read the OP of the thread on laryngeal sensory neuropathy. it was suggested that you can 'bump start' a vagus nerve by restricting breathing or wobbling your Adam's Apple.

I did it by pinching my nose and holding my breath to the point that I was just about to burst and hey presto!! the coughing/phlegm have stopped and today I walked the dog for an hour and had no breathlessness whatsoever. Just got back from the supermarket and feel great!

It's worth a try, it worked for me.

Thank you Seeking Sunrise, you have given me my life back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
(female)

Chrissie B HB User
Re: LPR -as something else? Vagus nerve damage?

Sorry, I quoted the wrong thread:

see:
Laryngeal Sensory Neuropathy and mucus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a treatment I was recommended, and it helps (Murray Morrison told me about it). When this stuff bothers you, put your thumb on the side of your adam's apple that's bothering you, and actually push it to the side and hold it there for 10 seconds or so. Secondly, when the mucus/throat clearing is bothering you, purse your lips and breath only through your mouth. It tricks your brain into thinking you are suffocating, and it's priorities switch. Do it for 30 seconds or so. It actually works. He says, tricking your brain's reward mechanism is important. Overall in my case, it continues to improve. It's at the point now where it's basically nothing, but after a night with no sleep or lots of stress, I can get a nuisance feeling on a side of the throat. The doctor told me this, and probably told you this too: If you want to get fully better, the best thing you can do is ignore this as much as possible, as maybe that helps the brain rewire it. Crazy, but this is where we are at in medicine in the 21st century.

Reply Reply