It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
(male)

DarknessDew HB User
Any idea how successful surgeries for lpr

any of you had an anti-reflux surgery for treatment of lpr and it worked ?
and did he suffer a globe sensation in his throat before surgery ?

Old 12-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
(female)

Gugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB User
Re: Any idea how successful surgeries for lpr

My humble opinion is that surgery is never really good for conditions like this. Have you looked into Ayurvedic treatment to cure this permanently? Unlike the mainstream meds you get from doctors, Ayurvedic treatments address the 'cause' of an illness and cures completely. Some research on the area might help you out and if it does then there is no need to think about surgery...! All the best to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gugulimo For This Useful Post:
DarknessDew (12-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
(male)

DarknessDew HB User

thank you so much for your reply
i hope other people give me their experience as well

Old 01-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
(male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User

If you watch the websites of companies/clinics/businesses that perform the TIFF procedure or things like that, they always have a lot of testimonials from customers talking about how their "mucus and globus" went away after getting it.

The reason for this is pure and simple greed. The surgeons know that people with the globus/mucus sensation are absolutely desperate to get rid of it and will try anything and pay any amount of money to stop it.

So their fake testimonials on their websites are full of people whose globus and mucus was cured.

But what you will discover on healthboards, where real people live, is that there are absolutely ZERO young men who had a sudden onset of globus/mucus in the throat who went and got a TIFF or Hill Repair, or Nissen Fund$yourvacation that EVER CURED THEIR LPR.

If you EVER IN A MILLION YEARS find this real life person, whose symptoms of throat clearing were cured by a surgery, please show me the post.

I'm sure if later on, those surgeons get desperate for business they will start making sock accounts on boards like this one where they will talk about how a 50,000 dollar surgery cured their "mucus throat-clearing that was driving me nuts"... but thankfully, that hasn't started yet. Maybe because they will get private messages asking to phone them or become their facebook friend and it's just more work than it's worth...

I'll tell you what you might not want to read right now, but it's from personal experience. There are no real cures to throat symptom. But time helps. You live in Egypt so this might not be an option, but I thought alcohol helped better than anything else available. If that's not an option, suck on mints all day, and drink tea. And just tell yourself that time will heal it. That's what worked for me, though to be honest, it only got 90% better. I still have, and always will have, something there in the corner of my throat. I just don't give a damn about it now. Let me know if you have any questions from me.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugulimo View Post
My humble opinion is that surgery is never really good for conditions like this. Have you looked into Ayurvedic treatment to cure this permanently? Unlike the mainstream meds you get from doctors, Ayurvedic treatments address the 'cause' of an illness and cures completely. Some research on the area might help you out and if it does then there is no need to think about surgery...! All the best to you.
The cause of reflux in some people is that the valves in your oesophagus are not working properly. Mine have deteriorated in function and the only "real" cure would be new valves. I've had a surgical wrap, but it was only partly successful as I still need to take 60mg of Lansoprazole and 300mg of ranitidine daily. I also need Gaviscon at times during a flare up.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
(male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User

Did you have constant globus and throat clearing, and did the surgery eliminate the globus and throat clearing?

Old 01-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I had extremely severe LPR/GERD with symptoms of a chronic cough, raw throat and shortness of breath.

While the Nissen Fundoplication was certainly not a cure, my coughing was gone as soon as I woke from surgery. I'm still on PPI's long-term though, but I've been able to keep my symptoms pretty much under control since 2008. Prior to surgery, my acid reflux had literally become life-threatening due to severe lung irritation. My pulmonologist actually told me recently that due to the severity of my reflux at the time he wasn't certain I would actually survive since I had to get both the reflux and asthma (triggered by reflux) under control when traditional medical and lifestyle approaches had all already been tried.

I will say that I had spent years making lifestyle and diet changes in addition to medical therapy and all had failed me prior to my surgery. This was after almost a decade of keeping my LPR under control.

I wouldn't recommend surgery unless absolutely necessary, but for some of us, it is a good option. For me, it was a lifesaving one.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
(male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User

Mountain Reader, did the surgery require a hospital stay or was it done as an outpatient surgery? I imagine that you were on a restricted diet? How long were you off of work because of it? It sounds like something that I may consider, but because I have lost so much time at work due to other illnesses I am hesitant to do something that will keep me from working for an extended period of time.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

The surgery was considered "outpatient" with a stay of 23 hours total.

I took 2 weeks off work. It was about 6 weeks before I was up to full steam though. I also had weight restrictions for that period.

My surgeon was quite conservative in his approach for my diet. I was on liquids only for the first 2 weeks. I couldn't even have a strawberry smoothie because of the strawberry seeds. I mostly did clear liquids for the first week. After that, 2 weeks on soft foods before moving to full solids. It was almost 3 months before I added in solid meats and breads. Those items don't break down well when you chew.

My GI doc said it takes about 8 weeks for the swelling to completely diminish from the stomach.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
Nole4ever (01-09-2013), Seekingpeace12 (01-08-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Sunrise View Post
Did you have constant globus and throat clearing, and did the surgery eliminate the globus and throat clearing?
A lot of the throat symptoms cleared after my surgery. I no longer have the feeling of a lump and lots of phlegm, but I still get some symptoms. I still have some throat clearing, occasional sore throats and dry burning throat. I also still get nasal and sinus problems.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
(female)

Nole4ever HB User

thanks for all the info you share on these boards. I am 2 weeks post-op on Nissen and so far, the results are pretty much what I expected. I have my follow up with the surgeon tomorrow, and am anxious to move on with recuperation. I do wish I had found these boards before deciding on the surgery, as I would have been much more prepared for the post-op period. I am still on liquids b/c at discharge I was told to stay on them until I had my post-op app't. Unfortunately, 2 weeks of mainly juices and broth have my blood sugar out of whack. I hope to get to start adding soft food tomorrow, b/c I have little energy right now. Good news is that the reflux is gone! Have struggled with hiatal hernia and major reflux for 25+ years, and it's so worth it to be able to sleep at night without waking up strangling on acid in my throat and mouth.

The following user gives a hug of support to Nole4ever:
MountainReader (01-09-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
(male)

DarknessDew HB User

Yes i know what you want to say, because i thought the same way
i think that doctors just try to get money out of it, nothing more
but you know the feeling is horrible that i am ready for anything to get rid of it, and about alcohol as you know we don't drink alcohol here in Egypt
but i tried sucking mints, it just give really a very temporary relief
but if you follow here in this post you will find that Janah although she is still not good, or i mean the surgery hadn't cured her yet, but her phlegm or mucus or globe feeling in her throat have gone
i hpe she gets better by time
i hope she gets better by time

Last edited by Administrator; 05-23-2013 at 12:31 AM.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #13
(male)

Hi Darkness Dew,

Well, there is the option of nerve drugs which for me took the edge off of it. I was in a pretty good mood while I was on lyrica too, I might add.

You should understand that the German government, of all people, kindly paid for my lyrica (to this day, I'm not exactly sure why that happened; it's a long story).

When I ran out of it about 3 months after I started lyrica, I didn't buy any additional drugs, because I felt quite a bit better.

These days though, I completely forget even about the little pinch in the throat for the majority of the day. And I'll you this, everyone on these boards: If you had told me 2 years and 2 months ago that I'd ever again feel normal like I do these days, I probably would have said, "impossible."

And by the way, my diet is, and has always been, terrible. Or at least, not what most people would consider healthy.

So don't give up, pal. I was a lost cause over 2 years ago. Now I worry about other non-physical problems in my life. Like I get furious when the TV remote controller doesn't work. 2 years ago, such little things would have seemed utterly irrelevant.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #14
(male)

lady112 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole4ever View Post
thanks for all the info you share on these boards. I am 2 weeks post-op on Nissen and so far, the results are pretty much what I expected. I have my follow up with the surgeon tomorrow, and am anxious to move on with recuperation. I do wish I had found these boards before deciding on the surgery, as I would have been much more prepared for the post-op period. I am still on liquids b/c at discharge I was told to stay on them until I had my post-op app't. Unfortunately, 2 weeks of mainly juices and broth have my blood sugar out of whack. I hope to get to start adding soft food tomorrow, b/c I have little energy right now. Good news is that the reflux is gone! Have struggled with hiatal hernia and major reflux for 25+ years, and it's so worth it to be able to sleep at night without waking up strangling on acid in my throat and mouth.

Hi

How is your recovery. Is the throat problems still gone. Did you have bad breath before the surgery? For me, this is my biggest problem.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
(female)

Dmblvr HB User

Seeking Sunrise - are you still taking Lyrica and what dose are/were you taking? Did you have any side effects from it? My lpr was sudden onset around 8 mos ago starting with the constant globus then burning and ear pressure. I've tried every anti reflux med as well as all the dietary recommendations and had scopes, ph monitoring etc which showed mild reflux. Gabapentin (which I'm trying thanks to you) helped with the globus but am still having burning. Going to increase dose but was wondering how you are doing and if you had immediate relief or it took awhile. I've found your posts very helpful and know you've done a ton of research. I had described my symptoms as feeling strangled from the inside. A recent diagnosis of thyroid cancer and thyroidectomy have resulted in me feeling strangled from the outside now. The cancer was an incidental finding while tests were being run to try to figure out the throat lpr issues. I don't want to freak anybody out though - the lpr was not caused by cancer. But I think the nerve problems are being extremely aggravated by the surgery.

Reply Reply