It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
(male)

zippeh123 HB User
LPR - SCD help

I will be starting the SCD soon(within the next few days), and I read the book, but I still don't understand why milk is limited if I can tolerate milk? To my understanding the book addresses milk as an illegal food because the book is aimed towards people with intestinal problems instead of heartburn/stomach issues. So my question is, and this is to people who are more educated in the field of the SCD diet, can I drink milk and still tend the the SCD? Thanks

Last edited by zippeh123; 01-01-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User
Re: LPR - SCD help

What is the SCD diet? My understanding of milk is it's not the ideal food for us, some of us cannot digest it very well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
(male)

zippeh123 HB User

The SCD is the specific carbohydrate diet. And I just remembered that lactose is a sugar, a disaccharide sugar which the SCD is trying to limit. So I answered my own question, I just wasn't thinking last night. The Specific Carbohydrate Diet is a theory, and pretty solid theory, that the digestive system in people like chrons, ulcerative colitis, gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance, autism, etc. is all linked to a damaged digestive system, most likely the cause of a intestinal overgrowth. The diet allows the body to absorb all the food you take in, with damaged digestive systems you can't break down the polysaccharides, thus leaving energy for the bad bacteria in your gut to live off of and cause even more problems. Like gas, headaches, diarrhea, cramping, etc. I work in a nursing home and to be honest, I think a lot of dementia patients and memory issues are directly related to the food we eat, because I want to say that about 80% of all my patients have bowel problems. So it is interesting, but obviously not a proven or studied fact. I would just like to see my patients go on this diet and see if their symptoms improve at all.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
(female)

winghall HB User

My brother in-law has very bad reflux for years. Every he has it so bad, pain in the chest and usually waking up at night, he drinks a glass of milk (cold). He says that it is the only thing the alleviates his symptoms.
I do not believe that milk is bad for you unless you are lactose intolerance or having bowel problem. You need to work out which food is good for you. For me, GERD & LPR, anything greasy or too much meat or eating too much is a no ..no. Just a thought.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
(male)

zippeh123 HB User

I asked about lactose pertaining to the diet, not my symptoms and cure. I have had LPR for over a year now. Been on numerous medicines, lactose free diets, gluten free diets, tilted my head up at night, countless alternative medicines and nothing works. I wasn't asking for a quick fix, because I have most likely tried it already.

My LPR is a consistent burn from morning till bed time. It doesn't go away throughout the day and my nasal cavities are always plugged up and same with my ears. Ive been through 2 endoscopies and 1 colonoscopy and they can't find a single thing really wrong with me. I am a health major/pre-med so I understand a lot of what my condition is and my recent endo showed a small hiatal hernia, very small. Could that be the cause of everything? I doubt it, because its extremely small and I have a lot of other symptoms. It almost undoubtedly has to be related to my intestines/small intestine overgrowth. Could I be wrong? Of course, but when nothing works, you try everything else. But this post wasn't to talk about my symptoms or my disease, but to talk about the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. The purpose of this diet is to limit the intake of complex carbohydrates, meaning no polysaccharides or disaccharides. Lactose is a double sugar molecule, which is disaccharide. The purpose of the diet is to limit the amount of digestion needed, giving your system a break and ability to heal. If you haven't done your research, the amount of people with GI issues has rediculously increased and continues to increase. What has actually changed the most since our ancestors? Our diet. The very early primitive humans only ate the simpliest of foods. Fruits, vegetables, meat, etc. They didn't have bread, potatoe chips, fries, milk, etc, etc. So even diseases like heart burn and LPR are things that are newer diseases and occur more frequently now than ever before. SCD is going back to what our ancestors ate, the simplist of diets. It is mostly aimed towards people with bowel disorders, but there have been very high success rates with treating heartburn and other disorders with this diet. It is extremely limiting, but extremely worth it.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
(female)

winghall HB User

I have got GERD/LPR as well. Am on PPI's but it only alleviates the symptoms a bit. I am trying a diet similar to yours eg. vegies, fruits and unprocessed food. I use brown rice all the time. We are not allowed to put a link here but if you Google for ' curing LPR', you will see the link for nutural-reflux cure. I want to give it a fair go. Prior to having this, did you go through a stressful period at all? Stress was the cause of my LPR. This curing method is very much like the Ohsawa method (Macrobiotics) that the Japanese/Asians use. Being Asian, I have seen lots of people following this method. Deep down, I do not think PPIs is the cure, certainly not for me. Are you on PPI at all? You do have my sympathy. All the best

Reply Reply