It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
(female)

harleyhuny27 HB User
Can someone please help.

This is gonna be kinda long and I appreciate anyone that reads this and pray someone can advise with my issues. I have severe panic/anxiety disorder, along with acid reflux, I had an endoscopy done in July my GI said all was fine except my esophagus is hyper sensitive (nerves) probably due to my anxiety. He stretched my esophagus and increased my PPI's. all was well until about Nov. when I began having terrible burning throat pain. The pain spread from my throat into my stomach, with a banding pain all the way around my midsection and between my shoulder blades. At times I have had severe left side pain, then other times right side pains. I am having trouble with BM (not happening) extreme gas pains (but no passing) Finally went to my MD. Sure it was my gallblader she sent me for an ultrasound. Liver, kidneys, pancreas, and gallbladder all working fine. I have adjusted my eating habits, bland foods, no soda, no coffee etc. But I am still in so much pain and burning, sometimes it gives me shortness of breath. My MD said all she could tell me was to take a laxative and go back to my GI. Which I will but I can not go until the end of the month since I have no money to pay now. In the meantime, I hope someone can give me suggestions...Thank you

Old 01-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
(female)

dany1982 HB Userdany1982 HB User
Re: Can someone please help.

I'm in the same situation, nothing seems to work ,and all my tests come back good. Try to switch to another ppi, or add an h2 blocker like zantac and see if it helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to dany1982 For This Useful Post:
harleyhuny27 (01-06-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
(female)

Spunkyhunny HB UserSpunkyhunny HB User

Hi Harley
Water, Water and more water,,it will help with the BM's and walking around will help move the gas..i get alot of gas for no particular reason,,or maybe from all the veggies..who knows but i find walking helps...have you tried the OTC gas meds i find they help some too...i would stay away from greasy foods i find they dont help anything especially stomach problems
Spunky

The Following User Says Thank You to Spunkyhunny For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
(female)

Niki1980 HB UserNiki1980 HB User

Harley have you ever tried probiotics? They really help me. I did have my gall bladder removed in July and have real trouble with greasy foods and diarrhea (sorry to be gross). But these probiotics save me in this department. My Mother uses them as well to help her go the bathroom. Try to find Saccharomyces Boulardii found at a local health food store kept in the refrigerated section. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Niki1980; 01-04-2013 at 09:18 AM. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to Niki1980 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
(male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User

Harley, I too suffer from anxiety and acid reflux. The anxiety is from all the chest pains, shortness of breath and other symptoms that sometimes feel like it can be the heart. This causes panic attacks, anxiety and more reflux. Anyways, I take a PPI (Omeprozole 40 mg) and this gives me constipation and lots of gas. I stopped taking it for a few days and my bowel movements got normal again so I know it is the Omeprozole. I take generic Gas-X for the gas and it works great. For constipation, I find that taking olive oil helps with the constipation as well as taking Align probiotics. For severe constipation cases (2+ days of no go) I use a glycerin suppository and laxatives.

Last edited by Seekingpeace12; 01-04-2013 at 09:51 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Seekingpeace12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User
Along time ago actually when i started in this forum i had horrific burning in my chest. Hence the name i use . I saw three doctors. Gastro..regular and a lung. I heard many things and wrong diagnosis and tons of tests. My sister and i researched it and went in a whim. I had bronchitis months before and was on advair . I have anxiety. I have gerd. The result i had yeast infection in my body. Maybe its that easy fir you. It was torture and was six weeks of pain. One pcp agreed to give me diflucan 100mg for 14 dats. You initially feel like you have the flu but on day 6 the whole thing stopped and i was fixed! Like a miracle. I stayed on it the whole time and every here and there it comes back and i tell my dr. What to do and he gives me the medicine. No one saw the yeast in an endoscopy but oddly has gone to a lung dr after i was the meds and in a ct of my lungs saw the scars left over. I was sick the advair caused issues with yeast and increased the gerd.i refluxed into lung and the yeast went wild. I still thank god that is gone to this day! So maybe you can try that but has to be done with a doctor. One dose wont work. Needs to be a couple of weeks. I did go back to the gastro and oddly his partner told me it sounded like a yeast infection but he didn't want to over ride his partner. Thats a true story.

The Following User Says Thank You to itburns2004 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
(female)

harleyhuny27 HB User

Thanks everyone I've tried some of the techniques and have been helpful. It just helps knowing i'm not alone, that even makes me feel better. Thank you

Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Hi harleyhuny, if the reflux/burning pains have got worse since taking PPIs then it makes sense that your reflux was not caused by too much acid. If you suffer from anxiety then your reflux might be due to interrupted digestion (indigestion) causing sluggish stomach activity and delayed emptying which causes reflux. IF this is the case then taking something which decreases stomach acid (and further slows digestion) will make you worse. So this might be what is going on for you.

Also PPIs can cause bad constipation. I had terrible constipation when my PPIs were increased, which improved again when I decreased the meds. For this I found licorice very helpful. I take 2 DGL capsules, twice a day, opened and taken in warm water. This causes a bowel movement without fail. DGL licorice can also help reflux, so it might help you in more ways than one. I also find panda licorice helpful for constipation. it contains very little actual licorice but the molasses helps.

Reply Reply