It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
(male)

SickinNJ HB UserSickinNJ HB User
New to Acid Reflux

I have had bad Acid reflux for sometime now but did not know until I was diagnosed 3 months ago. I was taking 1 Prilosec a day for the first 45 days but just recently started taking a Zegerid at night and a Prilosec in the morning.

I wake up fine but the mid/end of day I am in some pain once in a while. I am wondering if I should just take 2 Zegerids or if you can get reflux and stomach pain from not eating enough. I sometimes go from 8 to 2:30 before I eat a lunch.

Can that happen?

Old 01-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User
Re: New to Acid Reflux

If I don't eat regularly I get terrible reflux. You need to eat something, say mid-morning, to keep you going. The Zegerid might be more effective for you as it also contains sodium bicarbonate, which neutralises acid. Otherwise both drugs contain the same proton pump inhibitor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
(male)

Thanks, I am going to try both. Eating smaller more frequent meals and just the Zegrid. BTW do you ever notice that you can go 2 -4 days fine and they just get an attach from anywhere?

Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User

Mine never really goes away, but sometimes it gets a lot worse for no apparent reason. Good luck with what you try.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
(female)

adragos HB User

I suggest keeping a food diary. When I experienced heartburn, I found that helped me to identify some triggers I had and painted the picture as far as what I could avoid to keep from feeling those familiar GERD symptoms.

From what I have read, everyone is different. So, keep a log. You may find that you are eating before bed and didn't think much of it, or that your morning coffee triggers you hours later. You have to really dedicate yourself to find your individual triggers, but you can overcome it!

Good luck!

Last edited by Administrator; 01-30-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
(male)

dcguy HB Userdcguy HB Userdcguy HB User

I have also found that if I don't eat frequently enough it can trigger heartburn symptoms. It will usually begin with a lot of burping, which is odd because you'd think with nothing in your stomach there should be no need to burp, but apparently your stomach is creating acid ALL the time, even when it's empty. The food acts as a buffer between the acid and your stomach lining, so when there's not enough food the acid is always in direct contact with your lining.

Instead of the extra PPI, I would try TUMS or Gaviscon instead. Less long term side effects with those. Also, the TUMS contains calcium, which you will need more of if you are taking any PPI, since PPIs prohibit calcium uptake and can lead to osteoporosis long term. I'm 39 and recently had a bone density scan and it said I was at mild risk for osteoporosis, which suprised me at this age. I've been on PPIs for 4+ years now so that could be a reason. I tried going off the PPI and was fine for a while, but as soon as I started touching coffee and alcohol all the symptoms came back, so I have made it my new years resolution to give those up completely.

One time my attack was so bad I had to go to the hospital. The doctor finally decided to try an anti anxiety mediation and I was shocked at how well it was able to manage my symptoms. I took clonazepam daily for a couple of months, and xanax (very low dose) as needed, and this really helped me. If your symptoms get bad enough, ask your doctor about these meds. They help calm your system, which gets irritated and inflamed from the heartburn, which can trigger other nasty responses in the body. I would also get congested and notice it was a tiny bit more difficult to breath sometimes. These are all classic symptoms of inflammation, and one small Xanax would clear all this up in 5-10 mins. It's really a wonderful drug, but everybody makes it out to be so bad and dangerous. Let me tell you, alcohol is 10x's more powerful and addictive than these drugs, it really paints alcohol in a different light for me now. I never really thought of alcohol as a "drug" but now I see it truly as a dangerous drug, but I'm getting off topic probably.

As the other poster mentioned, everybody is different, so unfortunately something that works for one person doesn't always work for the other. It's all trial and error.

A couple of things that help me in lieu of taking meds: eating a ginger candy to help calm the stomach when I feel light symptoms, and drinking pure aloe vera juice mixed 50/50 with something else like lemonade or iced tea...I've found these are the only two "herbal" remedies that ever worked for me.

Good luck!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
(female)

adragos HB User

Oh, I like what you said about taking a piece of ginger candy!

I hear all kinds of home remedies, and I try to go the natural route before taking tons of medications. Thanks for the tip!

Old 01-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
(male)

Thanks everyone, i already keep a food journal on my Living Strong MyPlate App. I do notice things like lentils or specific soups kill me. I will defiantly try the ginger candy

Old 01-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
(female)

eirrac HB User

Ginger candy works for me at times, but not always. I tried DGL licorice, but discovered that it gave me diarrhea. Can't take most reflux meds, and am really concerned because I need to take something for GERD.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
(male)

dcguy HB Userdcguy HB Userdcguy HB User

Yeah, DGL is nasty. Try the Aloe Vera juice. You can buy 1 gallon at Walmart or even Publix (in Florida). The brand I buy is called "Fruit of the Earth". It tastes weird, so mix 50/50 with something else and you'll be fine. Aloe is great for the stomach. No side effects that I've noticed. I drink it with dinner or any time my stomach feels inflamed.

If I'm out, I chew the ginger candy first, if that doesn't work I move on to Tums and/or Pepto chew, and if that doesn't work I pull out the big guns and take a Xanax.

Last edited by dcguy; 01-29-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcguy View Post
Yeah, DGL is nasty. Try the Aloe Vera juice. You can buy 1 gallon at Walmart or even Publix (in Florida). The brand I buy is called "Fruit of the Earth". It tastes weird, so mix 50/50 with something else and you'll be fine. Aloe is great for the stomach. No side effects that I've noticed. I drink it with dinner or any time my stomach feels inflamed.

If I'm out, I chew the ginger candy first, if that doesn't work I move on to Tums and/or Pepto chew, and if that doesn't work I pull out the big guns and take a Xanax.
HAHAH - the big guns! Lot of it is in our heads, I get these gas pains or chills and I think I am going to puke, once I start walking around or change my scenery I feel better. I just wish I could feel consistent....

Reply Reply