It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
(male)

rednevac HB User
Did PPI's do this to anyone else's digestion?

Frequent lurker here. I'm wondering if anyone else that has taken and stopped ppi's was left with severe stomach/digestive issues?

To summarize, I developed a dry cough back in late August/early September 2012 after having an upper respiratory virus for about a week. After a month of coughing I got my doc to give me an antibiotic. A week on that didn't help and immediately afterwards at the suggestion of my wife the nurse I started a 2 week regimin of Prilosec OTC. The wife works for a gastro and suspected it could be reflux. After 11 days of not helping I gave up. I went to see her gastro who did an endo and saw no reason for the cough, but did find the beginning stages of barrett's. I was a bit shocked due to never really ever having heartburn symptoms. He felt if best to be proactive and go back on Prilosec OTC. So I stared it again (taking correctly this time per the doc) and took it for 3 more weeks. things improved at first , but after 2 weeks the cough came back as did the mild scratchy throat in the a.m. that had started recently. I added a 2nd night time dose of Prilosec on my own the 3rd week and when they didn't help tried Pepcid at night instead. That did help with the cough and sore throat.

In the meantime, I've been learning how bad PPI's are for you and decided I would stop them and commit to some lifestyle changes to correct things. I did not yet know anything about rebound effects, but I found out very quickly. The first 7-8 days off the Prilosec were murder with the worst heartburn and acid-burning stomach I've ever experienced. That suddenly went away and was immediately replaced with stomach and digestion issues such as mild nausea, loss of appetite, excessive bloating and abdominal pressure, frequent belching, and the heaving feeling that every meal is just fermenting in my stomach. Also presenting was scratchy inflammation and the lump in the throat sensation that clearly accompanies my intestinal pressure.

It's been almost 3 months now since I stopped the Prilosec and I'm still not back to normal, or at least where I was before I took it. I've tried a bunch of supplements, herbs and foods that I won't detail here and nothing has really worked. I've also tried to going back to my normal diet and routine, which was pretty healthy to begin with minus the alcohol and caffeine, which I do no more. I've have the rare good days where I feel pretty good, but they re rare. I'm convinced my reflux issues are merely symptoms of overall digestive issues that I've had come and go for years ("IBS") and with some lifestyle changes I could likely get a handle on it and do some healing. However, I can't even seem to get back where this all started.

I only took Prilosec for about 5 weeks total over the course of a 6 week period. Has anyone else suffered this kind of overall digestive disruption after these @#!% things?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply