It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
(female)

JonewbieUK HB User
Vitamin D result affecting stomach issues?

So a few months ago when I went to my dr with various symptoms and was diagnosed with silent reflux. The dr ran full blood testing on me for any deficiencies, infections, viruses, thyroid etc. all came back good and gave me omeprazole, which did nothing to ease my symptoms, took for 6 weeks then stopped it myself. Since taking them I feel proper bunged up in the stomach area, like everything takes ages to get through me (sorry to be gross!) So I googled lots (some good, some bad results) and looked a lot on here. Some things in particular stood out, acidophilus, probiotic drinks and vitamin d levels. So I've been taking acidophilus for 5 weeks now and feel better already, the mucus feeling has greatly improved and the lump in the throat has gone, my shortness of breath has got slightly better too and the best thing is I can eat small amounts again, I've lost over 1.5 stone through not being able to eat. I also just started taking fresh royal jelly but too soon to notice any improvement. What I did find out is my GP didn't do a test for vitamin d deficiency and its not deemed as needed by most NHS gp's. So I paid for it myself on a website I found, still NHS hospital but only cost £25. I just got emailed the results and found I'm more that 50% deficient in vitamin d! This would be an answer to a lot of symptoms I've had. Why im deficient I don't know yet.....I wouldn't think just a crappy diet and little sunshine in UK would cause it alone, so I am wondering if I never had a problem with excess acid and now beginning to believe it could be low acid and related to bacterial overgrowth.

I'm a bit p***ed off with the GP for not doing the vitamin d test and just handing out a PPI which for a few weeks made me feel worse. However I will be going to his office pretty smug with my new results lol

So I suppose after all this im wondering should I go ahead and take some digestive enzymes which include betaine Hcl and get some OTC vitamin d supplements? Or let the GP deal with vitamin d dosage. Also does anyone know how long it can take roughly to get the levels up to an adequate level, I am assuming maybe the GP would monitor levels too?? I am going for an endoscopy on Friday too that I pushed for. Would this show acid levels?

Thanks if you manged to read all this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply