It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
(male)

hopingforhope HB User
LPR, 17 years old, PLEASE help me.

I feel like this is going to be my whole life and I won't ever be able to achieve anything because of this mucus, I feel like there isn't even 1% hope that I can get better from this, it just really, really, really makes me feel bad about myself and I don't know what to do anymore.

My symptoms include:

- Mucus constantly in my throat.

- Burping after meals / drinking, kind of like 'bubbly' burps that linger around the bottom area of my throat / chest.

- Burning in throat after exercising, it feels like the mucus in my throat is burning or something, it's hard to explain.

- Bloating after medium sized meals / drinking large amounts of water.

- I feel like whenever I swallow (Or try to) mucus I can feel / hear it, like I'll try to swallow some clear mucus and I can feel it slowly go down to like my middle chest and then make a noise in my stomach.

- Post Nasal Drip (Or so I've been told, I think it may be caused by LPR)

- Noises from my stomach all the time, kind of like grumbling (I think it may be from swallowing mucus?)

- White coating on my tongue when I wake up

- Problems with vocal cords - feel like they're covered in mucus, can't go in high registers, they get tired easily and also feels like sometimes after I've eaten or burped a lot It feels like I'm 'forcing' my words and it's hard to talk because it hurts kind of.

I'm a singer and I really can't afford to have this, I used to take vocal lessons and everything but I had to stop because I figured out that I had LPR and would probably totally ruin my voice if I tried to keep pushing it.

I need any suggestions possible at how to treat this, I went to the doctor, went to a Gastro doctor with a referral who knew nothing and insisted I take a bunch of tablets that he took out of his drawer, the whole meeting went for about 10 minutes at the most and I ended up paying about $300 to see him, it was a disaster.

I've heard about vitamin D and calcium? Is there anything else that I could try? I need to rely on my voice for my career and it would absolutely break me if I am never able to sing anymore. I don't want to go down the road of PPI's or any kind of medication like that as I am very wary about taking medication as my parents used to give me antibiotics a lot as a child whenever I would have a cold or flu or anything, it's turned me off taking medication completely, only when it's 100% needed.

Where is a good place to start? I have no clue where to start treating this anymore. The doctors visit to the GI doctor totally brought my confidence down and I ended up not going back because I don't think he knows what he's talking about, I even went in with a prepared list of my symptoms, times when they occur, notes about it all and he basically kind of dismissed everything I said.

I'm sorry for rambling, it's just I don't know what to do anymore, my vocal cords are constantly covered with mucus, my throat is covered in clear mucus and it's really bringing me down to the point where I can't cope for much longer. Music is my everything, and the fact that this can stop me from doing it breaks my heart.

So if anyone could spare a little time to help me, you would not even understand how grateful I would be. Where do I start? what do I start with? I'm looking at going to get blood tests done to determine my Vitamin D levels, but I have no clue really.

Thanks so, so much. I have so much respect for anyone suffering with this because I know how hard it can be, knowing that pretty much the whole medical community is oblivious to the whole subject because no one really understands.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
(female)

CrossMyHeart HB User
Re: LPR, 17 years old, PLEASE help me.

Hello,

First, I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with reflux. It sucks I know, especially when you're young. I was diagnosed with GERD only two months ago. I thought that this was a problem that occurs when you are older like my father.

Are you on any medication? Nexium has helped me. I have to be on it for at least another month to allow my esophagus to heal, then I can wean myself off of the drug to see if the reflux is controlled. Controlling your diet and when you eat is also crucial to managing symptoms.

Try to cut out greasy foods, spicy foods, acidic foods like tomatoes and citrus fruits, caffeine, chocolate, and alcohol. You can experiment and keep track of which foods aggravate your symptoms because it's different for everyone with reflux. My go to foods for reflux include almond milk, soy milk, whole grain toast, oatmeal, vegetables, lean meats, and non-acidic fruits. However, I've heard some people with reflux are more sensitive to wheat (like I've said before, it is different for everyone). Also, try not to eat three hours prior to bedtime to allow your dinner to fully digest before you lay down at night.

My last piece of advice would be to elevate your bed. I have concrete blocks that I've placed under the legs to keep the head higher.

I hope this helped you.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
(female)

OKnow HB User
Wink Re: LPR, 17 years old, PLEASE help me.

I am also sorry that this is happening to you. Please read my post under "Also new to acid reflux/GERD. The person who posted before me is giving you good advice. I am a lot older than you and feel that if you are only 17 then you must get control of this before it damages your esophagus and vocal chords. Don't be afraid of the medication, you can stop anytime you like, and if one doesn't work, try another. You don't have to do everything the doctor says either. I don't. I just go and try to glean whatever info. that I can from them. I compare what they say, and I make the best decision that I can. If you are a singer it would be a good idea to take some time off and rest your voice. Please google the Stanford Voice & Swallowing Center (gerd, LPR, laryngitis) . They can give you some good advice. As far as food goes,I gave what works best for me in my last post, but I forgot to list oatmeal (very good). I became very sensitive to wheat and avoid it by replacing it with items made out of brown rice (noodles, muffins, bread, all come made with brown rice.) Again, you are young and more likely to beat this if you act now.
Be brave.

Reply Reply