It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User
Excruciating Pain/Fainting related to GERD?

Hoping someone will have an idea what may be my problem.
I have had heartburn for 25+ years, after an endoscopy I was officially diagnosed with GERD six years ago (enamel damage so bad I needed to have teeth bonded). A week ago Saturday I woke up with a fever of 101 and assumed I had caught the flu. I woke up Sunday morning and the fever was gone only to return in the afternoon. The fever was gone by evening. I ate very little both weekend days. I went to bed around 9:00 on Sunday and was awakened by intense pain below the sternum. Since I had had two similar incidents in the past 7 months (most recently in December) that were resolved when I vomited naturally, I headed to the bathroom again. The pain intensity went from zero to sixty in a matter of minutes. Before I knew it I was panting because of the excruciating pain, the absolute worst I've ever experienced. The room was swaying, and I had enough sense to call for my husband. I was hardly coherent, and felt like a an animal, crazed with pain. My husband offered me water, and I drank some hoping I'd be sick, to no avail. My husband then suggested I go to bed a lie down. The next thing I knew there was a voice asking if he should call 911! That's right, ask the unconscious person, lol! I opened my eyes and my husband said I had fainted!! I heard my teenage son coming down the stairs yelling, so I told my husband to help me up and get me to bed. My poor husband had thought I had a heart attack. The strangest part is after I woke up I felt fine, in fact wonderful. I liken to how great you feel after an ice cream headache has ended. I saw the doctor the next day who suspected a gallbladder attack. I had an ultra-sound that showed my gallbladder and the ducts looked normal. I am being referred for an endoscopy. I'm willing to believe it is GERD related except, if it was acid, why did I feel good after the faint? I never did vomit. It felt like one minute something was very, very wrong, and the next minute it wasn't, which is why the gallstone idea seemed viable. I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
Re: Excruciating Pain/Fainting related to GERD?

I have had Gerds for 10 plus years also I have had pain that has made me very lighthead and dizzy but have never gone out? Talk to your GI who is going to give you the scope if while in there if it needs to be stretched sounds strange but after yearly scoping for the last 4 years because they discovered i had Barrett's non cancerous and still one time the GI recommended stretching because I was having a lot of problem swallowing I said ok it made things a lot better this was two years ago. Just a thought I am surprised you have not had one before.

Reply Reply