It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
(female)

Fire girl HB User
Unhappy Help for a fire girl

Hi, new to boards and was wondering what your thoughts are. I started 3 months ago with just not feeling well after eating. I've had nausea, a sick feeling in my esophagus, and constant pressure and choking feeling in lower neck/throat after eating sometimes feeling like my head will pop off. I'm already thin and have lost 13 pounds and counting. I have had 2 endoscopes. First one showing nothing but after changing doctors the 2nd one was confusing. I had the Bravo ph test done and it came back within normal limits. The pathology report showed esophagitis secondary to acid reflux. I have been on nexium ( it made me feel way to anxious/bloated. Next I tried Dexilant. I spent 2 straight weeks with severe diarrhea. Stopped that one. Now I'm trying protonix. It doesn't seem to be helping and I started today again with severe diarrhea and abdominal pain. Looks like I won't be taking this one much longer either. Now I'm also getting abdominal burning. The worst part is the pressure in my neck after eating. This has really affected my life and job tremendously. Raising a 3 year old as well and suffering everyday. I'm watching very carefully what I eat and have cut out all coffee, coke, fried foods and dairy. Does anyone have any suggestions? I work 24 hour shifts and I'm having such a hard time. Any help would really be appreciated...

Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Fireslayer HB User
Re: Help for a fire girl

Hi Fire Girl
I'm new to the board as well, and still trying to find help.
I have some of the S&S that you do, but not the head popping off. Mine are 100% of the S&S of "Silent Reflux" also known as LPR. I couldn't figure out what was going on until I googled "horseness" then it all came together.
I was a fire fighter as well, but my breathing got so bad that I lost my job. I couldn't pass the VO2max test so I had to retire early.

I lost a lot of weight as well, but it was because I just never felt good and didn't want to eat.
I tend to get the glob in the throat, and a sore throat to go with it. I had junk coming up most of the day, but never at night. I was so bad that I couldn't give a size-up on the radio. Medicals were OK, but a lengthy report with assignments, and I was a mess. That is where the horseness came into play.

I have found some relief with alkaline water. Dave

Last edited by Administrator; 01-31-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
(female)

Fire girl HB User

Thanks for responding. The head popping off has calmed down some with the meds thank god! I believe I also have silent reflux as I feel so much better when I lay down at night but the days are a real pain in the butt. I'm sorry you lost your job. That sucks. Believe me, some days I have a real hard time making 24 hours. Have you altered your diet at all? What foods do you find work for you? I just hate eating these days! I'm gonna try the alkaline water. Is the tightening or feeling in your neck globus or the acid rising? Sometimes I'm not sure but it's only after I eat. I would rather have my gallbladder taken out again!! At least I would know when I would be feeling better again!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Fireslayer HB User

HI

So far, I haven't really done much about my diet. I have always felt that I eat right, but I don't know which foods are more alkaline. I rarely eat red meat,,, I mostly eat chicken and fish.

I don't know how much alkaline water to drink, I'm still experimenting. I do know that I put a lot of water away the first two days that I tried it. It was amazing that my asthma symptoms went away. I have been plagued with asthma since 2007 and poof, gone. Then it came back, and I'm trying to duplicate the first two days. I'm pretty sure I drank about 3/4 gal of water each day, and it went right through me. DON"T drink a lot on shift. You will start running back to back calls and pee yourself. Yuk Yuk Yuk
My sore throat is minimal, but at times I still feel the lump. It is going away as well, and my hoarseness is completely gone. Not sure I could teach a class and talk for hours, but normal conversations don't hurt anymore. Guess I'm getting better.

Dave

Last edited by Administrator; 01-31-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
(female)

Fire girl HB User

Hi, I bought the alkaline water today so giving that a try. I'm glad your starting to feel better. Are you taking any meds for it? I'm also gonna try the natural cure for acid reflux diet. Juiced some carrots today. Ugh! Tasted like crap but hey... I'm desperate at this point. On shift tomorrow so hopefully it gives me a break. Not gonna drink to much either. Lol. Don't wanna pee myself. :-0 Try some ginger tea. I hear its great for digestion.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-02-2013 at 04:40 AM.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
(female)

Msdog59 HB User

Just wondering if you are on any pain relivers? The reason is my husband was taking Watson brand lortabs 10 for years with no problem. For some reason they have stopped carrying them around here and giving out a generic brand. He would get a pick lortab or white brand sometimes. this went on for three months. Well when he started takeing these new lortabs it caused him to have the burning in his esphogus coughing at night throwing up for no reason. Now he had no weight lose. He did go fo a endoscopic they found barretts diesese. All this burning was caused from these pills he switched to percot. he is better. Same day of switching. My point being maybe if you are taking a med and it had changed on you by a manufacter don't let the pharmacy or your Dr. tell you the generic and the brand name are the same they are not. look it up.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
(female)

Fire girl HB User

Hi, no, I'm not taking any pain relievers. Just the protonix. Glad your husband found relief when he switched. :-)

Old 02-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Fireslayer HB User

I have read, and tried so many different things. When I first started on alkaline water, it was amazing, but it was short lived. I have to believe that neutralizing the pepsin is a major factor.

My reflux is so much better now, but my asthma symptoms are still there. That is basically how I judge how well I'm doing.
At times I feel like I'm going at this from two different directions.

The one thing that I'm NOT doing is attacking the acid production with PPI's and H2 blockers. That absolutely make my life a living hell. The vapors that were coming up from my stomach were unbearable, and the only way to stop it was with more pills. The roller coaster ride was more than I could handle. It took a week to settle down, but it was worth it.
The vapors caused an ear infection, but that has settled down with antibiotics.

Now back to my old tried and true:
I have found that if I drink Apple Cider Vinegar (raw unfiltered) it seems to help calm my stomach. So, I'm thinking that if my stomach likes the extra acid, then I'm not producing too much acid, I'm not producing enough. So, I bought some Betine HCL and I take one pill with each meal. It works very very well.
Now the part that I'm not sure of... I still feel that I need to "neutralize the pepcin" with alkaline water. So I have been having a few glasses of "A" water in the afternoon, and another before going to bed.
OMG I feel so much better as far as the reflux is concerned. I no longer get the crud coming up. I am hoping that with time, my lungs heal, and that I'm on the road to recovery.
<I read> that the "asthma symptoms" are not real asthma, the lungs have become burned by the acid vapors coming up the esophagus, and that they should heal.
Also, lots of digestive enzymes and a good probiotic
Fingers Crossed!

Dave

Last edited by Administrator; 02-19-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
(female)

Fire girl HB User

I'm really glad your finding some relief. I can't remember what it's like to feel well. I am drinking tons of the alkaline water everyday. I also started juicing carrots twice a day. I also started taking a probiotic but only once a day. Do you think I should take more? It's a20 billion count. I'm eating lots of fruit and salad with dressing I'm making myself. Would you happen to know how I might be able to put some weight on? I'm down to 118 pounds and I'm 5'9". Way to skinny now. I don't have any asthma symptoms like you. That must really be hard. I just get the burning throat/nausea and burning stomach. Boy would I love to sit down and eat an entire pizza washed down with some ice cream!! Lol! Have a good night.

Reply Reply