It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
(male)

thed0m1n0 HB User
new user have reflux help

Hi

I'm a 40 year old male, 3 months ago I was diagnosed with acid reflux by an ent,
I had strange sensations in my neck in what feels like my muscles, he gave me a 3 month supply of lasaprozole which I've now finished, I got horrible constipation while on them.

I do not get heartburn often but when I do get it, its quite severe, I've probably only had it 30 times in my whole life, more so in last 3 or 4 years.

Anyway I've been off the lasoprazole for a week now and my neck symptoms have returned
Will I have to take these pills for the rest of my life? That scares me,

I think I got acid reflux through drinking to much coffee on an empty stomach, for the past few years my coffee intake increased to around 15 cups per day and I only ever ate 1 meal which was my tea :-) how can I fix this reflux or make my neck feel better

Any help is appreciated thanks

Old 01-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
(female)

CrossMyHeart HB User
Re: new user have reflux help

Hello.

I was also recently diagnosed with acid reflux about two months ago. However, for father has had it for years and has it under control so I can offer some tidbits of advice.

I really hope you're not drinking that much coffee per day anymore. Coffee is well known for aggravating reflux symptoms. Try to eat several small meals per day rather than three large ones. What has helped me is a bowl of oatmeal in the morning with some sliced bananas. Any source of whole grains will do like dry toast in keeping the acid at bay. I cut back on fatty foods. For protein I eat more leans meats instead of red meat. I also try not to eat three hours prior to bedtime to allow food to digest before I lay down.

My father has not taken PPIs all his life. He managed his symptoms through changes in diet and lifestyle and only takes them when reflux is giving him problems again. I however, need to continue taking Nexium for at least three months to keep my stomach acid in check and allow my esophagus to heal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
(female)

winghall HB User

I think the best think for you is to try is to change your life style. If you do Google search under 'recover from LPR' or "GERD' you will come across a site call 'Natural reflux cure'. It specifies what you should and should not eat. I am following it for the time being. I need to give it a best shot as PPIs only address the symptoms not the cure.
Besides, relaxation/no stress/exercising should be done as well. We are in the same boat. Gaviscon double strength, probiotics etc... Do read the other postings, there are help elsewhere. Good luck.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
(male)

thed0m1n0 HB User

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, the reflux website is full of excellent I formation thanks for that.
I went to see my doctor today to ask the questions I didn't get many answers really except
That the ent said acid was getting to my throat or neck area causing my sensations there
I told him I don't like the ppi's so he surgested we lower the strength and see how we do with those for a while, he said I don't have to take them every day just when I have reflux, problem is apart from my neck pain I don't know I have it,

I'm going to also give that website ago and follow his directions to see how I go and get off the ppi's hopefully.

I've got really bad wind today I forgot to ask the doc if this is from the reflux, do you guys pass wind a lot?

Thanks again

Old 02-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
(female)

Fire girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by winghall View Post
I think the best think for you is to try is to change your life style. If you do Google search under 'recover from LPR' or "GERD' you will come across a site call 'Natural reflux cure'. It specifies what you should and should not eat. I am following it for the time being. I need to give it a best shot as PPIs only address the symptoms not the cure.
Besides, relaxation/no stress/exercising should be done as well. We are in the same boat. Gaviscon double strength, probiotics etc... Do read the other postings, there are help elsewhere. Good luck.
I have read the book natural reflux cure and just today started with it. I was wondering if you think it's helping you at all? I just can't seem to get this reflux under control. I'm taking probiotics and digestive enzymes as well. Thanks for recommending the book. I hope it works. :-)

Old 02-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
(female)

winghall HB User

Honestly, I am just starting as well. We need to give it a fair go before we can judge. A few people have told me to use this method. We need to be optimistic. I notice that when I am busy it is not so bad but if I dwell on it it seems to be a problem.

Reply Reply