It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
(male)

soulsurvivor23 HB User
Thumbs down New here, GERD ruined my life!

I have been reading these boards for a few months now, decided to make a post and say hi.

I'm only 25 and I haven't been dealing with these issues nearly as long as others on here but they've been swift and debilitating.

Starting in November of last year I started to notice I was getting a burning in my throat, my chest and my tongue. I thought to myself no big deal iy'd just heartburn i've had it before and i'll have it again. Next thing you know the pain and burning was so bad that I ended up in the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack. They told me I was fine and gave me prilosec, told me it was just reflux and to see a gastroenterologist. Later the burning became numbness in my chest throat and tongue and I developed an issue where I feel like my chest is beng squeezed shut, trouble swallowing, and an extremely tight neck.

So I got every test known to man. I got an upper endoscopy which revealed inflammation but the doc said it's minor. His official diagnosis was "minor gastritis and patulous esophagus." So I've been given PPI's 2X/day and they've helped somewhat with the acid but the breathing problem has gotten worse. I've gone from doctor to doctor. I did a pulmonary function test, came out fine. Blood work, chest X-Ray, blood pressure, heart tests, EKG's, echocardiogram, all came out good.

So here I am. I take PPI's 2x day. I have an extremely clean diet. But yet no relief. The worst problem of all is the breathing one. My inside from my stomach all the way up to the back of my throat feels totally numb. And when I feel anything at all, it's a burning feeling. Doc's basically say they've never heard of what i'm complaining about (numb tongue, numb mouth, acidic taste in mouth, numb tight chest and difficulty breathing) and basically say to go home and relax. I've tried anxiety meds and they haven't helped me. Hopefully someone here can relate as right now I sit in my house all day unable to function as I once used to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
(male)

thed0m1n0 HB User
Re: New here, GERD ruined my life!

Hi,

I also had your symptoms they did not go away after a few months, so I went to the docs
Who sent me to the ent, I got the same results and was put on PPI for 3 months,

In time my symptoms resolved and my body started to heal I guess because after 1 month on the PPI I started feeling better, a lot of my symptoms were due to anxiety which just made every little thing 100 times worst, you need to relax pal let the PPI do there work it takes time and a positive attitude yeah its scary at first but you have to learn to live with it

I am just starting to live with my reflux, it needs changes to your lifestyle and maybe what you eat, the changes aren't huge but they do need doing to manage the reflux..

However for now just relax and let your body heal, also prop your bed up at the top so your not laying flat.

Good luck pal.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
(male)

soulsurvivor23 HB User

Thanks for the response. Well i've been taking the PPI's for about a month now and haven't seen any improvement. I guess that's what makes me worried. And then the numbness in my body, throat, and mouth. I'm reading up some info about damage/irritation to he vagus nerve. Maybe that is playing a factor, i'm gonna keep researching.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User

Have you had you blood checked or low mineral levels due to malabsorption issues like D and B12 also magnesium.i have dealt with this for ten years since I was 30 there is no easy answer you will need to help your Dr treat you as they are way behind on this subject

Old 02-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
(male)

soulsurvivor23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch1one View Post
Have you had you blood checked or low mineral levels due to malabsorption issues like D and B12 also magnesium.i have dealt with this for ten years since I was 30 there is no easy answer you will need to help your Dr treat you as they are way behind on this subject
I've had my blood checked for vitamin deficiency. D vitamin came out low. I've been taking for a few weeks now
D3 1000IU
Daily mens health multivitamin
Fish Oil
B complex Vitamin

Haven't seen any improvements with those either. I have however noticed that my symptoms have gotten worse, not better since i've been on the PPI's so i'm going to try and quit and see if they could be a contributor.

The worst is the unexplained shortness of breath. I'm willing to believe anxiety is a part of it because i've had anxiety issues before. But the numb tongue, throat, mouth, *****ly feeling in my chest, chest tightness and pain, it just doesn't feel like that and I wish someone could help me out.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
I was given Nexium after my first Endoscopy revealed I had had an Ulcer and H.Pylori.
During my second Endoscopy I was told I had a Hiatal-Hernia.
H.Pylori is now gone and most of the awful symptoms that went with it. I took the Nexium for 4-5 weeks but never felt it did anything.
What I do know for sure is that when my H.H starts playing up I suffer awful shortness of breath. Was a H.H mentioned to you after your Endoscopy, though I have read of Reflux causing the sane problem,

Solofelix.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
(male)

soulsurvivor23 HB User

So as an update I saw 2 more doctors this week. A different gastroenterologist and an ENT. The gastro guy was baffled (as expected) and ordered me up a catscan where I swallow some liquid and get an IV and then have the catscan done.

The ENT (equally confused as expected) wanted to do another throat scope which I told him had already been done so he didn't do it again. And then he ordered that I do the swallow test later this week.
oa
He says that my throat looks and feels completely normal. And that he thinks I may have silent reflux...

Fine and good. My issue is. I've had a couple of weeks of extreme diet changes. Frequent short meals, no meat at all, i've tried some light exercise, no more lying down on my back after meals, meditation, and more than a month of meds. 2 weeks on prevacid, 3 weeks on omeprazole, 2 weeks (concurrently) Dexilant in the day time and Rinitidine at night. I keep hearing "give it time, give it time" but giving it that much time and having zero relief, and in fact having the symptoms actually increase while on the medicine was more than enough for me to get tired of "giivng it time" and to just quit.

Over the past couple days i've been cold turkey on the meds and trying ACV because at this point i'm desperate. Everytime I get my vitals checked, they are absolutely normal. Oxygen 98-100%, blood pressure perfect (never had high blood pressure issues, still don't), blood work spot on, endoscopy showed only minor issues (patulous esophagus and mild gastritis) Yet i still consistently feel: a dull burn right under my rib cage, acidic taste in my mouth and excessive saliva, completely numb throat, tongue, cheeks and mouth, occasionally numbness of my feet, and arms accompanied by dizzyness and rapid heart beat (which i'm always told is "panic attack") And worst of them all consisten trouble taking a breath (moreso taking a breath in rather than out, which makes me think it's not asthma). I'm at my wits end here and the doctors seem to be too. I don't know what to do anymore.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: soulsurvivor23
catkaru (02-07-2013), solofelix (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
Just a thought!!...
Would your Dr prescribe you a mild Anxiety medication.
I'm not suggesting these things are in your head (no way). But sometimes worry can make symptomsworse than they are.
I do feel for you as I have had so many stomach problems myself and know how you feel.
When my symptoms were at their worse I took a short course of Xanax, it did help me to cope better and eventually over time a number of my symptoms became less bothersome.
At least all your tests have proved nothing serious and that's good news.
I wish you well,

Solofelix.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
(male)

dcguy HB Userdcguy HB Userdcguy HB User

I agree. You should try an anti anxiety med. I had bad gerd symptoms for a while, which ironically got much worse after I stopped drinking alcohol (initially). One time, after I had stopped drinking alcohol for a week or two, I was on an empty stomach and drank coffee and an hour later I almost couldn't function, was having trouble breathing, had some tingling in my arms, etc. When it got to the point where I couldn't stand, I had my wife call 911. At the hospital they said it was anxiety, maybe the vagus nerve flared or something, but they gave me Xanax, and eventually Clonazepam, and both of these helped tremendously with keeping flareups from becoming full on "attacks". I also notice that when I get a stuffy nose, that is sometimes a precursor to worse things about to happen, and my breathing will also get a tiny bit labored. Whenever this happens, especially when I'm out, just pop a .25mg Xanax and the problem goes away quickly. I got off the Clonazepam, but while I was on it it was very effective at keeping things at bay.

I'm off all meds now, except the Xanax as backup, and I generally do feel better when I'm off the PPIs. In lieu of meds, you may also want to try chewing ginger candy, taking TUMs or Gaviscon (esp at night), and drinking a 50/50 solution of Aloe Vera juice with something else like lemonade or iced tea. All these things work pretty well for me in lieu of taking PPIs.

Of course, different PPIs will work better or worse per individual. Not much seemed to help me until I got on Dexilant. Nexium was the worst. So maybe try a different PPI, or else just take regular over-the-counter H2 blockers like Pepcid AC. They all do the same thing, just in different ways, so experiment with different combinations. It's different for every person, unfortunately. There is no silver bullet for this disease, but definitely try the anti anxiety meds if you can. My recommendation is Xanax on a quick as-needed basis. It always helped with my breathing. And I never felt like I could become addicted to them, which my doc keeps warning me about. Let me tell you, alcohol is 10x's more powerful and addictive than any prescription med I've been given.

I was also tested for every food allergy and nothing came up, but sometimes I feel worse after eating cereal with milk, so now I am going to try and cut out milk. It's a trial and error process. It sucks, and it has led to a reduced quality of life (which is extra difficult when you have young children), but I feel like after 4+ years of this I'm finally on the upswing. I had all those heart and blood tests, too, did the barium swallow, everything, and I'm fit as a fiddle except for the damn stomach problems. Maybe look to your family history, as well, and see if anyone in your family has had similar problems. Good luck!

Last edited by dcguy; 02-06-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User

Your story DC guys sounds very similar to mine glad to hear your on the up side as I am this had been a three year process for me also.always glad to hear other same stories

Old 02-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
(female)

Jackijax16 HB User

I am so glad to have stumbled upon this message board. It is nice to see that other people are or have gone through what I am going through. It definitely makes me feel less crazy! So for the most part I am a pretty healthy person and have never had any health issues until now. I was recently diagnosed with gastritis and gerd. For me it stared with nausea and a little bit of chest discomfort. For about 2 weeks the symptoms would come and go. Finally after 2 weeks and a burning feeling in my chest I went to the ER. They gave me an EKG just to make sure everything was ok with my heart and that came back fine. They said that I had gastritis and gerd. They gave me a pill there and it seemed to have worked pretty much instantly. I was given a prescribtion for Pantoprazole.

They next day I went to my primary care doctor and while discussing other issues she prescribed Celexa (not sure of spelling) for my anxiety. She had also mentioned that it takes about 2 weeks for the gastritis/gerd symptoms to start going away and that it takes about 2 months for the stomach to heal. Well I took half of my Celexa that night and OMG that next morning I was miserable. I was extremely nauseaous and couldn't even get off the couch until about noon. I couldn't eat anything either until the afternoon. By the later afternoon I was feeling ok, with the exception of being a little drowsy and feeling a little loopy. It was crazy though, because I feel like my nausea got worse and so I called the doctor a few times to make sure that what I was going through was ok, and they said it was. Well I have 3 kids and 2 of them are still little and I was totally negtecting them because I was feeling horrible. So after a week of feeling the same, I decided to get off the Celexa. That next day of not taking it, I felt 100% better. It was crazy.

Now I feel that my gastritis/gerd has improved. I have a little burning feeling in my chest and stomach no and then throughout the day, but not like before. I feel that a couple of new things started happening though. My right side of my throat is a little sore sometimes and when I swallow I feel like a clicking or popping feeling. I did feel a couple of times like my throat was getting tight and closing. I haven't had any problems breathing or swallowing. I don't know if thats just part of the gastritis and gerd, or if its my anxiety getting the best of me. I ahve noticed that if I am busy doing something i really don't notice anything but if I have time to think about things, then Im feeling everything.

I think that sometimes the worst part of all this is my anxiety. I am sure that some of it is in my head, but I do think that some of it is real. Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated. It has been very helpful to read everyone else's stories.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,
Reading your message I get the feeling that your Gerd medication is beginning to work but your anxiety is causing some of your symptoms.
Anxiety is not unusual with Reflux and Gastritis, I know because I had the same symptoms myself. A short course of Xanax helped me cope with the anxiety of my A.R and a Hiatal-Hernia and in turn and in time most of my symptoms became managable.
Celexa obviously did not agree with you and you should ask your Dr if you could try another Anxiety medication.
I hope you soon feel much better,

Solofelix.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
(male)

dcguy HB Userdcguy HB Userdcguy HB User

@Jackijax16 - I had the same experience with Celexa, it was HORRIBLE. Doctors don't like to treat anxiety with benzos like Xanas for very long, so they switch to Celexa, which is an anti-depressant. I was not, nor have ever been depressed, so I was confused why they tried to put me on it, but after two weeks on the stuff I'd had enough and stopped taking it. Truly, the only thing that has helped keep major flareups at bay, or from becoming full blown panic attacks, is the Xanax. That stuff is a wonder drug in my opinion, and I just take .25mg of it, the lowest dose you can get. So if your doctor did not try to give you Xanax or Clonazepam (a longer-acting version of Xanax) then you should ask why, and ask to be given a low dose of Xanax to see if it helps. Good luck.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #14
(male)

soulsurvivor23 HB User

Hi guys, thanks for all the kind responses. So now i'm in even more of a mess. I went to a pulmononlogist who gave me and asthma test and said I have asthma. So now i'm taking like 4-5 different things for that, PPI's, Xanax, and probiotics.

But i'm pretty convinced that it's NOT asthma and that those meds have just made it worse. It really does seem like silent reflux to me as it is affecting my eating, swallowing and breathing, and that is causing me anxiety rather than the other way around. I talked to this nutritionist who wants to put me on a 2 week raw food diet and at this point i'm willing to try anything so hopefully it works out for me, i'll let you guys know.

Reply Reply