It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
(female)

justifiied HB User
What is wrong with me? Gerd? Help :(

I seem to have a sudden onset of sever gerd. I would get it randomly at times when ever eating something to set it off then it went away. This time didn't go away one night after feeling really nauseated from Chinese food one late night. I didn't vomit but it turned into the worst heart burn I had in my life and acid reflux. Went away after a few days then kept coming back. i get the burning in my esophagus††and i taste the acid. I get so bloated can hardly eat. Went to doc he said either gall bladder or gerd. Thinks it sounds more like gerd since I have no pain or vomiting. I just get the reflux and bloating. He put me on prilosec which is a once a day pill and I take tums when needed which helps. All that does help but overeating and morning times can still set it off. I am set to have more tests to confirm but I am really concerned since I never had it this bad before and have no idea why it happened to the point that it keeps coming back. Does this all sound familair to anyone with gerd out there?†I am female 35 have been a vegetarian for 5 years. I stopped drinking soda or anything carbonated since this happened. I don't smoke, drink coffee or Alcohol. I am however a sour candy addict! †Have tried to cut that out since this happened. Trying†to eat small portions of meals when I have attacks but when I feel better I go back to my usual eating habits (minus the soda) and it still seems to get started again. I also take benydril to help me sleep at night and have been for quite a few years. My doctor said it's ok to take it though so I am not stopping that. Can't sleep without it, I have terrible insomnia without it. I am healthy otherwise exept for high blood pressure. I drink bottled water only and have been for years. I read on some sites that can cause or make gerd worse. Is that true? Anyone with experience with this please give me advice. I am really worried and upset becauae it is not going away. I just want to feel like myself again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User
Re: What is wrong with me? Gerd? Help :(

It could be the benydril, as this can cause heartburn (and nausea), by relaxing the lower eosophageal sphincter. I know you've been taking it a long time, but sometimes we can become effected by medication that we were previously ok with. If you consider this drug is used to treat parkinson's - that is how strong an effect it can have!

It may also have been MSG in the chinese meal you had, or just the meal itself, that caused excess acid, which was exacerbated by the effect of the benydril.

You could experiment by stopping the benydril and seeing if you improve... once you feel better you can think about other ways to improve your sleep.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
(female)

justifiied HB User
Thumbs up Re: What is wrong with me? Gerd? Help :(

Thanks for the reply! I have read that the sleeping pills I take can cause this also. Even though my doctor says not to worry that it isn't a problem, I think he doesn't realize that I have been taking it every night for many years. I tried one night last week and it was tough but it's worth giving it a shot. Or maybe just to cut down to sometimes. I really should not need to take it to sleep! I just like that it forces me to sleep, I have always had insomnia. Thanks again, will start tonight.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
(male)

dcguy HB Userdcguy HB Userdcguy HB User

Your situation sounds very similar to mine. I had a very sudden onset also when I was 35. I've been dealing with it ever since for the past 4+ years. I also take diphenhydramine (same thing as benedryl) from time to time, although not every night. I was also a heavy drinker, and slowly have given that up over time, now I am also going cold turkey on coffee and caffeine in general. With those two things cut out of my diet I have been able to go off my PPIs, but I still need to supplement with tums or Gaviscon occasionally. I was also prescribed Xanax because one particular bad episode landed me in the hospital and they said now the stomach issues may be causing anxiety. The Xanax (very low dose) helps tremendously. I've also lost some weight and jog on a semi-regular basis. So lifestyle changes definitely help. I don't think the sleep aid is to blame. But sometimes our bodies just short circuit themselves and we need to be careful how we repair them. Cut out all irritants and just use common sense when eating. You could also try some herbal remedies like eating gingery candy or drinking aloe vera juice. Those help me too in lieu of medication. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to dcguy For This Useful Post:
justifiied (02-06-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Go buy some aloe vera and take it three times a day. It is amazing what it will do for acid reflux. I had HORRIBLE acid reflux and the medication was not working. Got on to some aloe vera and I can now drink coffee. Aloe vera works much better than any prescribed medication-all the prescribed meds do is numb you for a short time.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
(female)

justifiied HB User

Thanks for the advice everyone, I am doing much better though. Yesterday was a full day of not having any Symptoms. I am watching what I eat and taking the medication. I am back to work. Tums helps if I do get it and it seems to be brought on by over eating or eating the foods that set it off. I an giving up the sleeping pill nightly will only take it if I really need to. I believe it contributed to this. Thanks again!

Reply Reply