It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
(male)

lostsub HB User
LPR or something else (and other reflux questions)

Hello everyone. I have had a chronic sore throat for the past five months. The symptoms shift among the following: globus, burning, and dry and scratchy feeling. I do not have any noticeable heartburn or esophagus irritation. In December, I was diagnosed by a gastroenterologist with NERD. Any help with these questions would be GREATLY appreciated:

1. Because I have symptoms in the throat as well as a coat on my tongue, weird taste in the morning, and congested nose (but no heartburn), do I have LPR and not GERD in its traditional sense? Is there any other difference besides one's in the throat and one's in the heart?

2. I have a weird taste in the morning (but no noticeable sore throat) even though I sleep at a reclined, 45-degree angle. Why?

3. The PPIs don't seem to have too much of an effect, that's not too surprising. With that being said, since I started seeing an ENT and gastroenterologist almost four months ago, I have made some improvement. If the PPIs and stress/diet changes (which I've taken) don't eliminate the sore throat, is the NF surgery the only option? Is the surgery only for people with heartburn or a sore throat?

4. My ENT has talked about irritable larynx syndrome. He's not sure if my sore throat is caused by reflux or allergies or both. (I live in a very dry, polluted area with lots of pollen.) What's the difference between LPR and ILS?

5. Can NERD (and/or LPR) do permanent damage to the throat?

6. Someone pointed out to me that just as a burn on your hand would take time to heal, so too would it take time to heal a burnt throat from acid reflux. But I've been taking PPIs for almost 3 months with a fairly strict diet. Could it take three months to heal?

I live and work overseas, but this has affected my quality of life. As a teacher, I depend on my voice and it's not exactly pleasant to be in the classroom when one's throat hurts. Because of this, I'm considering moving back to the U.S., but I'm not sure what good that will do. I'm not sure if there's a light at the end of the tunnel or if this is my new normal. Please help.

The following user gives a hug of support to lostsub:
JanaJ (02-10-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User
Re: LPR or something else (and other reflux questions)

What you have sounds like acid reflux to me. PPIs can take a while to work so keep taking them. Can you get hold of some Gaviscon to take as well? Life style changes are necessary. If you smoke, stop. Weight loss helps, by encouraging the muscular valve at the lower end of the gullet to remain shut rather than lie open.
Raising the head of the bed by 5-10cm employs gravity to keep stomach contents where they should be when you are lying down.

Avoidance of late meals also prevents food and other digestive juices, such as bile, from refluxing and causing just as much bother as acid.

Some people find particular foods give them more reflux than others – you need to experiment a bit to find what you should avoid. I'm keeping a food diary. Food and drink commonly reported to trigger symptoms includes fizzy drinks, spicy foods, high-fat foods, citrus fruits, peppermint, tomatoes, garlic and onions. Caffeine in coffee, tea and cola and theobromine in chocolate have been reported to worsen symptoms, and alcohol and excessive amounts of vitamin C (from supplements) can also increase acid secretion. Chocolate and caffeine are definitely triggers for me.

Probiotics for reflux, as there is some suggestion they might be helpful. Eating smaller more frequent meals.

I've had surgery, but I'm unsure how successful surgery is for LPR like I have. I still suffer and take PPIs. Good luck.

Reply Reply