It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
(male)

renegade7 HB User
OK, I just joined the wrapped club. Sore all over.

After 3 years of taking meds that don't work (80mg Nexium and 300mg Zantac) I made up my mind to get it done. Had it yesterday, stayed overnight, and got home 3 hours ago. Man am I sore. Just breathing deeply hurts. The morning after the surgery, I had to get a barium swallow. Doc does this to ensure there are no leaks in the wrap. Got some anti neasua meds and Tylenol 3 with Codiene.

My biggest complaint is the air or gas they fill you with to perform the wrap. My neck, my shoulder, my whole upper torso.

After the barium, I was able to eat something. I had some chicken broth, jello, and a little yogert. All went down fine. Docs instructions: Full liquid and clear. Either or. Then after 4-5 days I can start on a soft diet. No lifting, no heavy recreation. Walk as much as possible, that should get rid of the gas. I hope so. I do have a higher toleration for pain, but this rough. I seem to think someone else mention this. Any suggestions, anyone else experience this? Please inform me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: OK, I just joined the wrapped club. Sore all over.

Good luck on your healing.

I had my wrap just over 4 years ago. I actually traveled via air to stay with family the day after I got out of the hospital.

I really had a lot of pain and soreness in my core area after my surgery. Much more than I anticipated. I actually had to have some assistance getting in and out of bed for the first week. I couldn't get myself up from lying down.

Oddly enough, one of the things I found helped was 'hugging' a squishy pillow against my stomach. For some reason, it really did help with the pain and the gas issues.

The anti-nausea meds were very necessary for me. Take your pain meds regularly for the first week or so. Don't brave it out and take it only when you are really hurting. It takes time to take effect. I was actually on the stronger stuff than what you've been prescribed though. With pain killers, I really recommend taking Miralax too. The Barium can also "stop you up" if you don't have tons of water after taking it as well.

I was on a liquid diet only for a full 2 weeks before being cleared to start on soft foods. I wasn't even allowed to make a strawberry smoothie because of the seeds in the strawberries. I stayed on clear liquids for most of the first week. Be careful when you start of soft foods. It takes about 8 weeks for the swelling to completely subside from the stomach. Take really small bites and chew well to help it go down well.

Walking really does help. I was very slow at first, but that slowly got better.

Last edited by MountainReader; 02-12-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
(female)

meryas HB User

I also just joined the "wrapped" club last Wednesday, 2/6/13. Had really bad gas pain in my right shoulder but just for 2 days, then much less pain and moved to upper shoulders/neck. I found that a heating pad helped a little.

Last edited by meryas; 02-13-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
(male)

renegade7 HB User

Thanks MountainReader and Meryas. Good advice. Day 3 for me. Still have that gas pain, but not as bad as yesterday. I have a rice bag to heat up and soon will. Thats a good heating pad. I walk a lot, in the house that is. I simply can't stay in bed. Have not had a bowel movement yet, but then again, not eating anything solid. I hope that's normal. I believe that would alleviate some of the core pain. Is Miralax a liquid? Of the five holes in my stomach, the lower one, by the navel, is the sorest. Feel like I've been shot. Expected though. I will try to stay in touch with this board after I heal. Most of what I read here in the past year scarred me away from this surgery. Hopefully my progress will be positive. I suffered with LPR. Thanks for the advice; always appreciated, none too silly.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
(female)

meryas HB User

bathroom issues are expected; at one week out my choices are constipation or use a laxative and then a day of diarrhea; sorry to be so blunt.

I know pain meds can cause constipation, but have been med free for 48 hours and still having issues. I took PureLax (CVS brand of Miralax?) it was a powder that i mixed with diluted apple juice.

I think if I could find a liquid/powder stool softener rather than a laxative that would be the best option. Haven't looked too hard yet, will ask surgeon about that when I see him tomorrow.

also, be sure to carry your "squishy" pillow recommended above with you in the car; seat belts aren't comfortable and bumps in the road also caused me some discomfort. Squeezing the pillow helped

best of luck in your recovery

Last edited by meryas; 02-13-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Hi renegade,

Miralax is a powder that is mixed with water. It helps you absorb water into your bm and works very well. It is the one my GI doc recommends. Dulcolax did nothing for me. My GI even said to double up the dosage if things get bad, then cut back to single dosages when I'm ready.

I had instant relief from my LPR symptoms after surgery. I've had some periods where I still have a bit of a problem, but if I had it to do over I'd have the surgery again in a heartbeat.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meryas View Post
also, be sure to carry your "squishy" pillow recommended above with you in the car; seat belts aren't comfortable and bumps in the road also caused me some discomfort. Squeezing the pillow helped
It is interesting how well that squishy pillow thing works. Originally I thought I was the only one.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
(male)

renegade7 HB User

Thanks again for all the support. Well today is my 5th day, had my wrap on the 11th oct. 2013. I have spoken to another patient of the doc that did my wrap. We were both given the same directions and he is about six months out and doing fine. So I hope to follow suit. Today I started on soft foods, as directed. I know others on this board were probabley told 1 week clear liquids, one week full liquids, then week three, go to soft food. So far all is well. I ate 4 oz of oatmeal, ran through the blender, and apple juice. Lunch I had 4 oz of baked chicken breast, also ran it through the blender, along with cooked carrots. Tasted great, and all went down well. I guess the best news (and this is terrible to call the best news) I had a bowel movement shortly after. First one since the 11th. I was not really wanting to use any laxatives, so yesterday I had two doses of prune juice, about 3 oz. per dose. Success! I did go back to my pain meds today. I laid off them yesterday, but today the pain is at the surgery sites on my stomach. Using tylenal 3 with codeine. I asked for this because I used it in the past without any naesea. I could've had something stronger, but doc let me go with this.
Still having the gas pains in my shoulders, mainly around the upper chest and upper stomach. How long will this go on is the question. Luckily it is not as bad as the first few days. I will try to give updates on my road to recovery at least weekly. As I said before, these boards and all the bad news I read almost scared me away from this surgery.Thanks for all the help folks.

Reply Reply