It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
(male)

FGE413 HB User
Gastritis and Omeprazole question...

Hello,

This may not fully fall into reflux, but I didn't see a gastritis category.

In mid-Dec, I had a lump in the throat sensation after eating...It came and went, sometimes flared up, occasional minor flares of chest pain. Doctors had me eating soft food, eventually I got an endoscope (a week and a half ago).

The doctor says I have gastritis (no h. pylori though)...He wants me to go on omeprazole for 6 months. I'm really not in much pain or discomfort. The lump in throat feeling has gone away when eating. I'm just concerned b/c I've read things about omeprazole being addictive if taken over a long span of time. Granted, I don't want my gastritis to get worse to the point I have an ulcer, but I'd rather not become dependent on omeprazole, either (and I also read there are a number of other side effects tied into long-term omeprazole usage). He said there was only evidence of mild reflux.

Thoughts? Recommendations? I just started taking DGL licorice tablets. I don't drink alcohol or smoke and I'm not overweight at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User
Re: Gastritis and Omeprazole question...

Recommendation: trust your gut feeling ('scuse the pun!). You have reservations for a reason. I would never never ever take PPIs to help something that wasn't bothering you as you can end up so much worse. (as I have). You can heal gastritis through diet and supplements.

The Following User Says Thank You to kacyc For This Useful Post:
FGE413 (02-14-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
(male)

FGE413 HB User

What supplements would you recommend? I just started DGL licorice and aloe vera juice.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Try Manuka Honey,
It's said to help just about everything. I have taken it on and off for various complaints and have to say it certainly gave me a good well feeling.
Look up diets for Gerd/Gastritis and find out what does or does not suit you.
Aloe-Vera is good for the digestion and some say ACV is good but I have never tried it myself.
Good Luck,

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
FGE413 (02-14-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Hi FGE, yes manuka honey is a good healer. DGL is also good, best taken in powder form (you can open capsules) and mixed with warm water so that you are actually making a drink, it is more easily assimilated in liquid form like this. Aloe juice is meant to be good, people have mixed reactions it seems. Personally I prefer natural coconut water.
Most things are trial and error as different things seem to help different people. But overall for gastritis, you want an anti-inflammatory, cooling diet. Include anti-inflammatory vegatables such as butternut squash, carrots, celery, cabbage. Avoid spices, carbonated drinks, alcohol, very hot or very cold food or drinks.
Hope some of the things you are doing help you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kacyc For This Useful Post:
FGE413 (02-14-2013)
Reply Reply