It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
(male)

renegade7 HB User
My wrap, and my recovery

I had the wrap on the 11th of Feb. 2013. If you read "OK, Got the wrap yesterday", this is where I pick up from. I will try to post something weekly. At least until I think I am no longer keeping it interesting. I know some people do well and after awhile, you never hear from them again. Others are not as lucky, and you read plenty of stuff that will make you reconsider this surgery. I will try to stick around as some others have, who I believe from their posts, had a successful wrap. These are the folks that kept me pushing forward.
I had been suffering with LPR for about three years. Never had heartburn or indigestion, just hoarseness, sore throat, lots of throat clearing, mostly unsuccessfully, and always a lump in the throat. Lots of phlemm. Was on 80mg of Nexium, 300mgs of Zantac for three years. Never seemed to work. So I opted for the wrap. We'll see how it turns out. Thanks to all who have helped me in my decision. Thanks again for all the support.

Well today is my 5th day, had my wrap on the 11th oct. 2013. I have spoken to another patient of the doc that did my wrap. We were both given the same directions and he is about six months out and doing fine. So I hope to follow suit. Today I started on soft foods, as directed. I know others on this board were probabley told 1 week clear liquids, one week full liquids, then week three, go to soft food. So far all is well. I ate 4 oz of oatmeal, ran through the blender, and apple juice. Lunch I had 4 oz of baked chicken breast, also ran it through the blender, along with cooked carrots. Tasted great, and all went down well. I guess the best news (and this is terrible to call the best news) I had a bowel movement shortly after. First one since the 11th. I was not really wanting to use any laxatives, so yesterday I had two doses of prune juice, about 3 oz. per dose. Success! I did go back to my pain meds today. I laid off them yesterday, but today the pain is at the surgery sites on my stomach. Using tylenal 3 with codeine. I asked for this because I used it in the past without any naesea. I could've had something stronger, but doc let me go with this.
Still having the gas pains in my shoulders, mainly around the upper chest and upper stomach. How long will this go on is the question. Luckily it is not as bad as the first few days. I will try to give updates on my road to recovery at least weekly. As I said before, these boards and all the bad news I read almost scared me away from this surgery. Anyone with questions, feel free to ask; I know this can be a big decision. Thanks for all the help folks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
(female)

Fire girl HB User
Re: My wrap, and my recovery

Hi, I keep up with your posts and recovery. It sounds like slowly but surely you are recovering. :-). I'm sure that was a big decision but one I understand. I also have all of your same symptoms with the hoarseness, coughing, and the constant pressure or feeling of food in throat. It wears on me horribly! At wits end with it. Keep updating us as I'm interested in how you are doing. Can I ask how old you are?

Old 02-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
(male)

renegade7 HB User

Fire Girl. Yes, you have the same symptoms I was having. I tried herbal remedies, different diet modifications, stopped eating the things I liked, plus the meds--nothing worked for me. I work out three to four days a week, running and weights. I think I am in good physical shape, I even stopped doing sit ups at one point because I read that was bad for the reflux. I am 57, and I finally figured that whatever time God was going to continue to allow me to live, I did not want to deal with this any longer. Hopefully I made the right decision. Too early tell right now. But I will say today has been my best day since surgery. Many say day four and five are the worse. Maybe better for me because I started on the soft diet and actually feel nourished. Who knows? Good luck with your symptoms.....

Old 02-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
(female)

Fire girl HB User

I'm glad to hear each day is getting better. With time hopefully you will be back to feeling like you did before this all started. How long will it take recovery wise to know if it was really successful? This really is life changing. I also eat right, take the meds, and still feel ill daily. I was 134 pounds 3 months ago. Down to 116. I know what you mean about feeling nourished. It can definitely make a difference in how you feel. I forgot what that was like. A large cheese pizza would be awesome right about now... But I don't dare! Thanks for keeping me posted. :-)

Old 02-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
(male)

renegade7 HB User

Fire Girl, not sure how long the actual healing process will take. My doc told me if I don't rush things, at about 8 weeks I can return to my usual activities, like the gym. Not back to what I used to do, but I can begin again at lesser weights and running. He said start slow, and work up. If it hurts, back it down. In other words, do what I feel comfortable with. He also said after a week or two of soft foods, try to slowly move up to different foods, but chew very well, and avoid breads and tough meets, like steak, which should be one of the last things I try, sometime after 8-9 week, or more. Today I ate scrambled eggs and applesauce for breakfast, chicken, shredded in the blender with a protien drink for lunch, and for a snack, 3 graham crackers with a spoon of peanut butter and some honey. Super was mashed potatoes and cottage cheese. I don't eat too much now as I do not want to stretch my stomach, but I get enough. My goal is to not lose too much weight on this trip. I hope to keep the loss to 15 lbs or less. I was 175 when I started. So I drink a protein shake each day for the past three with a little peanut butter added to it for flaver. I learned from the forums here that this takes about 6 months to heal and a year for a full healing. My surgeon seems a bit more optimistic, and he has performed numerous wraps. So I will follow his directions. I see him next Thursday for a follow up and then I plan to go back to work on Monday. I am a high school teacher and girls softball coach. My second career. I previously served 22 years as an Army Engineer. Did not use meds today and so far, none needed. Fire Girl, sorry you feel so ill, but I know how you feel. I want to say something positive, but all I can say is "Hang in there. Follow your inner feelings. You'll choose the right course." Take care.....

Old 02-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Glad to hear you are doing so well renegade7.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
(male)

renegade7 HB User

Thank you Mountain Reader; so far so good. I have heard day 14 is to be the worse day for the swelling. I am looking forward to that day so perhaps it might be smooth sailing afterwards. Thanks for the post....

Old 02-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I had no problems with day 14. I was cleared for eating more and moving around much better than in the early days. As long as you don't over-do things (eating or physical activity), which it is tempting to start doing at this point, you should have good healing from here out.

How are your symptoms at this point?

I had instant relief from my breathing problems after surgery. I did have some belching for a while. The surgeon said it was from air actually not making it past the wrap and just coming back up. It didn't last long though.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
(male)

renegade7 HB User

Mountain Reader So far my symptoms seem to be just a little phlem in my throat, but its early. One of my biggest problems was hoarseness after a bit of talking. I spent quite a bit of time talking this afternoon. Still a little of that exists, but not much phlem. I am sure after three years of throat problems, the throat will take a bit of time to heal as well. Not much pain at all today. Took no meds yesterday or today. It only slightly hurts when I get hiccups. And then only up near the front of the left shoulder. When I drink water, I can feel a slight hesitation at the wrap or just above, but then, down it goes. I believe 95% of the gas/air pain is finally gone. I have been walking since day one to get rid of it. Gonna try some fish this evening for supper. So that's the story for now. More later. Take care....

Old 02-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

The throat does take a very long time to heal. I went for years with a "hoarse" voice from the LPR as my normal. How nice when things aren't so raw.

Keep up the great attitude you've had throughout this process. I know that helps with the healing as well.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #11
(male)

renegade7 HB User

Day 10 update: Thanks for all the kind words. Well, 10 days into the recovery and all is well. Had my follow-up yesterday. I started on soft food the past Friday, mashed potato, fish, chicken, oatmeal, ice cream, graham crackers and peanut butter, scrambled eggs etc. Have not yet tried pancakes, is that too much like bread, or is it do-able at this stage? The doc said I could go back to exercising at 4 weeks, light jogging, no sit-ups, but no weights until around weeks 6-8, and start small. As I increase, if it hurts, back down. He also said to start experimenting in about a week, advancing from soft foods, only no beef or bread for awhile. I think he means steak, as I have read that some people have started on ground beef at this point. Yes or no? I am really glad to say that so far all has been fine. My apatite has increased and so far all is swallowed well. I still have pain in my upper diaphram, especially when I get hiccups, but that's it. So far. I lost 10 lbs since my surgery, on the 11th Feb. But I have been drinking protein drinks at least every other day. I hope to keep the loss to 15 or less. I'll keep you posted. Really would like some input on the pancakes and ground beef......

Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Ground beef might be OK depending on how it is fixed. If it is in a loose or crumbled form you should probably be ok. Especiallly if you cut it up or eat it in small bites. It is the solid meats that don't break down well when you chew that I highly recommend avoiding for a while.

Not totally sure about the pancakes. I guess if you take small bites and they are drenched in syrup or mushy you might do OK. Thinner pancakes might be better. I wouldn't try taking large bites of dry pancakes for a while. You need to make sure it breaks down when you chew and swallow so it doesn't get caught above the wrap.

Last edited by MountainReader; 02-20-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
(male)

renegade7 HB User

Thanks Mountain Reader, I think I will hold off another 2 weeks on any pancakes. I believe I also read that ground beef small bites might be OK. Very well chewed of course. I will give that another week or so before trying it. Thanks for your help.....

Old 02-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

Hi Renegade7!
Besides walking try lying on left side while sleeping or just resting. That works well as well. I know the feeling of that shoulder gas and it is very annoying.

Low acid All,

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

Old 02-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
(female)

KitKat880 HB UserKitKat880 HB User

renegade7- Thanks for your posts! I've been reading them here and on Healing Well.

I've been referred to a surgeon by my ENT and will be seeing him next week. I'm currently on Dexilant, but I still occasionally experience regurgitation if I eat something I shouldn't or over eat. I burp no matter what I eat or drink, even water.

I can deal with those symptoms, but what I can't handle is the feeling of a tight throat or lump in my throat. I've read a lot of nissen recovery posts and journals, but most of the people that seem to have success with this surgery never mention anything about a lump or tightness in their throats. My question for you if the surgery resolved that particular symptom.

Thanks!

Stefanie

Reply Reply