It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
(female)

Michele9226 HB User
Red face The dr. gave my 12 yr old dd Tecta

When ever she lays down at night she feels sick.
This has been going on for about 2 months. The dr. didn't know what else it could be. He gave her some samples of Texta. The good news is that she is free of this sick feeling.
Seems weird to have a 12 yr old girl who's otherwise healthy and active on this drug. Is it a presciption? Shouldn't we try something like tums first? Seems so extreme. I've never heard of such a young person needing this. What do you guys think?

Signed Worried mom
Michele

Old 02-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User
Re: The dr. gave my 12 yr old dd Tecta

They do give it to children, even babies, but it is the wrong thing to give as a first try. It is not meant to be used in this way. I do not have children, but as an adult who took a similar drug, I would not give it to a child as they can become dependent, and at such a young age you do not want that. Try some natural remedies. DGL licorice is helping me; some herbal teas maybe; and look at what is causing her sick feeling. Blocking acid will only lead to more serious problems further down the line. Look it up before giving it to her. If she has a serious medical condition that requires it then obviously it has its place, but is given out willy-nilly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
(female)

Michele9226 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacyc View Post
They do give it to children, even babies, but it is the wrong thing to give as a first try. It is not meant to be used in this way. I do not have children, but as an adult who took a similar drug, I would not give it to a child as they can become dependent, and at such a young age you do not want that. Try some natural remedies. DGL licorice is helping me; some herbal teas maybe; and look at what is causing her sick feeling. Blocking acid will only lead to more serious problems further down the line. Look it up before giving it to her. If she has a serious medical condition that requires it then obviously it has its place, but is given out willy-nilly.
I agree. But she is in France with it for a month. I'm trying to get a hold of her. The family she is staying with eat dinner at 9:00 pm.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
(female)

molly644 HB User

9pm is TOO late for her to be eating, with a condition like this, she shouldn't really eat after 6pm unless its really necessary.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
(female)

Michele9226 HB User

Yes, I got a hold of the family and now they will eat way earlier.
She thinks this bad tummy ache could be dairy so she cut out all dairy and the family bought her almond milk and almond butter. I will talk with her again tomorrow morning. Thank you!

Reply Reply