It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
(male)

scot724 HB User
Hiatal Hernia With PVCS And Also Surgery Question

i think i might need surgery since i have had no relief for 7 years all types of ppi and dosages and even trying to wean off of them things got worse before i even did that

my main question is can you get hiatal hernia repair without reflux surgery or is that always part of it

2nd question for those that had pvcs because of there hiatal hernia then had surgery did your pvcs go away?

Old 02-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
(female)

KitKat880 HB UserKitKat880 HB User
Re: Hiatal Hernia With PVCS And Also Surgery Question

Do you have a sliding hiatal hernia? My understanding is that doctors won't repair a sliding hiatal hernia unless it is causing symptoms. If it's causing a problem, that problem is usually reflux, hence hernia repair with fundoplication. The hernia repair sounds a lot less scary than the fundoplication part, but I think most doctors will want to do both.

I'm seeing a surgeon for a consultation next week. I'll try to remember to ask him about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
(male)

scot724 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat880 View Post
Do you have a sliding hiatal hernia? My understanding is that doctors won't repair a sliding hiatal hernia unless it is causing symptoms. If it's causing a problem, that problem is usually reflux, hence hernia repair with fundoplication. The hernia repair sounds a lot less scary than the fundoplication part, but I think most doctors will want to do both.

I'm seeing a surgeon for a consultation next week. I'll try to remember to ask him about it.
yeah its sliding and my main symptom is chest pain/pressure and i assume my reflux is from it as well

i was just curious if they do that though cause if the hernia is repaired wouldnt the reflux just stop even without the fundoplication if the hernia is the cause

Old 02-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
(female)

KitKat880 HB UserKitKat880 HB User

That's a valid point. I'm wondering if the hernia stretches the base of the esophagus over time though and thus the LES will not go back to its proper functioning state.

Last edited by KitKat880; 02-22-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
(male)

scot724 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat880 View Post
That's a valid point. I'm wondering if the hernia doesn't stretch the base of the esophagus over time though and thus the LES will not go back to its proper functioning state.
possibly, if you ask your surgeon let me know what he says..im seeing my regular gastro this week not at the surgeon stage yet

Old 02-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
(male)

renegade7 HB User

I had a hiatal Hernia for years and then about three years ago I started having reflux problems--LPR. Had all the tests that go with it, because I always thought the problem was something else. None of the meds worked. But since I had all symptoms, what else could it be? I believe if I did not have the hernia, the symptoms would not have been so bad. I think the hernia prevents the LES from properly closing, and thus, the acid leaves the stomach by way of the esaphagas. Long story short, I had the fundop and hernia repair at the same time. It has only been 15 days post op, but I already feel better. And guess what, the surgery and recovery, so far, has not been near as bad as I feared. And I am no longer on reflux meds. Food for thought.....

Reply Reply