It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
(female)

Aleosha HB User
Mystery! Don't know what's going on...

Hi I'm a 44-year old female and I had a bad bout with sore throat about five weeks ago. It turned into tonsillitis and I was put on steroids and antibiotics. The infection got better within a week but I STILL have swollen lymph notes and feel like someone is holding their hands around my throat and is trying to choke me. This is such a strange feeling and I wake up in the middle of the night and can't sleep.

And when I talk too much my throat starts to hurt again, not like a cold but a sharp stabbing pain as if someone is poking a knife at my tonsils.

Why do I always get these weird things happening to me? Why can't I have a normal sore throat like normal people and just take a bunch of drugs and get better? Everything feels like a puzzle right now and I'm feeling really depressed.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Mystery! Don't know what's going on...

Hi, have you taken a flashlight a looked in your throat too see if there is anything going on? Any white stuff on the tonsils or rednedness?

You may need a second round of antibiotics and be sure to take them all. I always have to get a diflucan script as well because ill end up with an yeast infection (gosh i hope you're female lol).

Oh yeah, pls be sure to finish off those antibiotics

I wouldn't get anymore steroids, need to take as little if those as possible. Cathy

Last edited by noevr; 02-23-2013 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Added info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
(female)

Aleosha HB User

Thank you, Cathy! Yes, been on two rounds of antibiotics already and been to 3 different ENT doctors who all looked in my throat and said it looks normal. That's the mystery, the doctors saying everything looks all right but I'm still not better!

Old 02-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Wow, has anyone stuck a camera down your throat yet? (Actually I think it's via the nose in the office bad they spra a numbing stuff ) Done any blood work up on you? When you say it starts hurting after talking a while does it feel strained, do you feel kinda horse?

What other symptoms do you have? I imagine you're waking at night it from mouth breathing. Any coughing? Clearing of throat? Nausea?

Cathy

Old 02-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
(female)

Aleosha HB User

Yes, the latest ENT did the camera "trick" (had to spray something numbing first) and said the tonsils and my throat looked okay. Mostly my voice feels 'pinched' like something is strangling the vocal chords. I think you may be right about mouth breathing, and I do have a lot of acid problems! No nausea or coughing...Clearing of throat, yes. Just getting very nervous and tossing around possibilities in my head of what else this could be caused by!

Old 02-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kind of sounds like silent reflux except for the nodes being swollen, are you sure? Sometimes it feels like there's something stuck in throatt when eating.

You could take some Prilosec OTC for a few weeks in the am research the reflux diet try that see if there's a difference.

Sometimes you have to take in am and pm if its bad and it can cause nodules on cords.

Let us know how it goes. Cathy

Last edited by noevr; 02-24-2013 at 06:02 AM.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
(female)

Aleosha HB User

Thanks so much for the advice and kind words, Cathy - really appreciate your insight! I'm taking Prevacid 2x daily, was 1x day before and now have increased the dosage. Going back to my doctor tomorrow to see what he thinks! My tonsillitis had turned into peritonsillar abscess a month ago and it was the worst pain I'd ever had!

Old 02-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow I've never heard of that one! How did they diagnose it? Cathy

Reply Reply