It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 AM   #1
(male)

thewormskull HB User
Exclamation ongoing problem 3+ years - please help!

hi everyone,

i have horrible mucus or stomach acid every day. generally not much or none at all at first, but soon as I eat any food or drink, it flares up. I cough it up, its also in my nose. Feels like a wet cough, but I don't believe its in my lungs. i do smoke 4-6 cigarettes/day, but my doctor said my lungs are fine. I've seen many ENTs, they don't know what it is. I even got NAET treatments, but nothing. I thought it was allergy based, but now I am suspicious it is acid reflux. I've tried so many things- candida diet (thought it could be that), nettipot, bromelain, various other natural remedies. I do find some relief from kombucha- which makes me think this could be stomach acid related.

A few things about me:
23 yr old male
I make juice every morning from some or all of the following: carrots, oranges, asparagus, kale, ginger, lemon, celery.
I drink coffee (1-2 cups per day) and am often a slow sipper, constantly working on a cup throughout the day. Drink with almond milk.
Drink 1-2 beers every night or every other night
I tried cutting dairy and sugar to see if symptoms would clear. Can't really tell if its helped or not.
exercise 3-4 times per week

Any solutions? Anyone experienced this? It's very unpleasant, and I feel stuck. Especially since I'm still pretty young, and feel so crummy. I'm anti-pharmacuedicals because of many bad experiences in the past, and also because I feel Western medicine often doesn't actually cure the underlying causes, just alleviates the symptoms.

Thank you for your help- I really hope you can help me find a solution!

Best,

Sean

Last edited by mod85; 02-25-2013 at 04:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
(female)

KitKat880 HB UserKitKat880 HB User
Re: ongoing problem 3+ years - please help!

Sean,

When I was first diagnosed with acid reflux, I was told by my doctor to stay away from 4 things: cigarettes alcohol, caffeine, and really fatty foods. You might want to try cutting those things out. It may or may not help.

In my case, it turns out that I have reflux when I drink water, so giving up those things didn't make too much of a difference for me (though I can't speak about the cigarettes, as I don't smoke).

Good luck!

Old 02-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
(male)

thewormskull HB User

Hi KitKat880,

thanks for your reply! have you found relief from your acid reflux? what's helped? Did you have the same mucus/stomach acid symptoms?

thanks!

Old 02-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
(female)

KitKat880 HB UserKitKat880 HB User

I take Dexilant 60 mg a day. It seems to help somewhat. My symptoms before I found the correct medication were a lump or tightness in my throat, excessive mucus, pressure build-up in my stomach, and lots and lots of burping/belching, sometimes with regurgitation.

On my meds, I don't experience regurgitation much, and the burping/belching is a lot better than it used to be. I occasionally still have the mucus issue. The one very persistant symptom is a tight throat, which is oddly relieved by things that tend to aggrivate reflux, such as alcohol and peppermint.

Right now I have an ENT that has referred me to a surgeon and a GI doc who thinks that's a drastic step. I have my consultation with the surgeon this week and a follow-up with my GI doc a few weeks later. We'll see how it goes.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
(male)

thewormskull HB User

yow! lets hope you dont need surgery. please keep me posted and let me know how everything goes.

i find it odd, but alcohol actually usually helps reduce my symptoms a bit, too.

i wish you the best of luck!

Old 02-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
(female)

Jojay HB User
Hi, just a thought but I've had this too since December, I looked into reactive Hypoglacemia and followed the diet for it, low carb, it's stopped I even stopped getting gurd, and acid has stopped too. It got so annoying I felt like I had a lump in my t hroat. I've also stopped eating out of pans used with non stick. It's worked or it's some kind of amazing coincidence . It's just a tip any things worth trying as long as its harmless. I eat six times a day instead of three half the portions and stay to healthy diet. I don't have sugar wheat or too high carbs. I do eat potatoes but mostly earlier in the day. It's Been a dream .

Last edited by Administrator; 02-25-2013 at 06:38 PM.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
(male)

thewormskull HB User

@Jojay ooh glad to hear something has worked for you! I will look into it and give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!

Old 02-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi, the juicing sounds like a lot of acid. I'd ease up on the coffee too. You could switch to a decaf ginger tea or something, chammomille is good too. I started off on Prevacid OTC twice a day then when I finally went to a gastro dr had my upper end. He saw stage 3 GERD and put me on a script for 4 months. It has helped a lot.

I did see an accupunctist for a while first and it helped a little but I had/have nausea from it too.

Research GERD diet and you'll get an idea of what to eat, I'm on a very boring diet lol!

Good luck, cathy

Old 02-26-2013, 12:33 AM   #9
(male)

thewormskull HB User

hi @no34ever i think u are right about the juicing. Today I tried to keep my recipe simpler, less acidic. i'm avoiding pharmaceuticals, but i do plan on seeing a GI. i read that licorice can help with acid reflux, so i had some egyptian licorice tea. it did seem to help

sorry you have to be on a boring diet. hopefully these things are temporary

Old 02-26-2013, 02:24 AM   #10
(female)

Jojay HB User

Hi folks, thought I'd give you one of my tips, I have one pill everyday, it's organic orange peel oil. It works I took this for gurd and acid. I have had no symptoms for weeks now at all. The orange peel oil hits the stomach and the natural acid in the oil turns to alkaline . I know it sounds hard to believe but it really works. I'm also on a low carb diet that works too. X

Old 02-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
(male)

thewormskull HB User

@jojay oooh now you're talking! an all natural pill that solves the problem. moving this to the top of my list to try out. excited, thanks for the tip!!!

Reply Reply

Tags
acid reflux, allergies, gerd, mucus, stomach