It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
(male)

zig47 HB User
heartburn, LPR, Reflux, and Blood Pressure Meds

I have had reflux and bad heartburn and LPR for 30 years. Have been taking some form of acid reducer for all that time. Currently I am taking nexium. Just got off Reglan in addition after reading about the side effects. Visited my pcp for a routine visit and had a bp of 210/110 which settled to 180/90 a half hour later. He sent me home with Benicar. I get bad reflux and heartburn about two hours after taking the pill. Tried 6 different BP meds 10 years ago, and gave up on the meds because of the the same outcome, bad heartburn. After reducing my weight from 195 to 165 10 years ago bp settled about 135/85 until the recent occurence.

I'm wondering if anyone else who takes nexium and has bad heartburn found a BP med that works without aggravating the heartburn. I'm getting desparate.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: heartburn, LPR, Reflux, and Blood Pressure Meds

I've been on high dose PPI's for well over a decade. I started on BP meds not long after. I've found diuretics don't cause problems for me. Dyazide or Hydrochlorothyazide work for me. At one point I also needed an additional med and was able to tolerate a low dose calcium channel blocker.

I'm really not sure what the reflux-hypertension connection is. I will say that after I had surgery for my reflux in 2008 my blood pressure reduced significantly. I don't know if there is a direct connection or if having less stress on my body from the reflux allowed my bp to lower. Prior to surgery, I was running 140's/90's on medication. After surgery, I went off of the CC blockers and my be has been averaging 110's/60's.

Personally, I found Nexium to be a horrible choice of PPI for my treatment. I have been on all of the PPI's with no side effects with any of them except Nexium. I had extreme side effects that lasted for years, after just being on Nexium for a week. Those PPI's work differently for each person though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
(male)

zig47 HB User

Thanks, I've never tried diuretics and CC blokers before and I'll talk to my PCP about them. I've got to get off the Benicar, but after a week my BP was 128/68 so I hate to stop as I don't want to get back to 210/110.

I wish I had the guts to have the surgery like you did but my gastro guy kept talking me out of it. If I had the surgery I might not be in this mess now.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Surgery is pretty extreme and really isn't a necessary consideration for most people. Unfortunately, other medical interventions stopped working for me and my LPR/GERD was causing me major breathing problems due to the lung irritations. My acid reflux had literally become life threatening. Surgery was a good option.

If switching up your bp meds isn't the best option, you might talk to your pcp about switching up your Nexium for another PPI.

Have you seen a gastroenterologist recently? It may be a good option to have a visit with one as well.

Last edited by MountainReader; 03-06-2013 at 08:04 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
zig47 (03-06-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
(female)

Annie7679 HB UserAnnie7679 HB User

No medication helped me, I was desperate. I am on a diet now that I made by trial and error:
1 soup 2 times a day -half a plate.
2No bread, sugar, tea, from dairy- milk and buttermilk only. A lot of green vegetables, some fruits. When feel hungry - a lot of nuts. Drink mostly boiled water with lemon.
3 Remember SMALL PORTIONS-if I eat soup, I put some meat or chicken in it, so I cannot eat a whole dinner-- let's say a plate of meat with potato and salad and desert after it, as I used to. it is hard, but you will get used to it, always eat nuts.
4. You have to keep this diet all the time. Sometimes I feel very good and forget that I have a heartburn, eat more than I have to. So my heartburn comes back. But this diet is the only thing that helps.

Reply Reply