It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
(female)

Rls1994 HB User
Exclamation Endoscopy next month. Scared!

Hey all.

So I'm going to be having an endoscopy next month and yes, I'm scared! I would appreciate it if anyone would answer the following questions:

1. Is it painless?
2. How long is the procedure?
3. Do they make you wear a gown or anything? I don't really like wearing stuff other people have worn....
4. Will I be sick or gag like crazy? I'm petrified of throwing up and gagging and scared that it will happen
5. If you choose sedation, which I will have, then how do they sedate you? Injection in your hand?
6. Do you get symptoms after the procedure? I.e sore throat etc?
7. If I take a parent with me, will I be allowed to go straight home after I've done it? 'Cause I really don't like the thought of staying in a hospital for too long.
8. How many hours do you have to fast for before the procedure?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 03-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Endoscopy next month. Scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rls1994 View Post
Hey all.

So I'm going to be having an endoscopy next month and yes, I'm scared! I would appreciate it if anyone would answer the following questions:

1. Is it painless?
2. How long is the procedure?
3. Do they make you wear a gown or anything? I don't really like wearing stuff other people have worn....
4. Will I be sick or gag like crazy? I'm petrified of throwing up and gagging and scared that it will happen
5. If you choose sedation, which I will have, then how do they sedate you? Injection in your hand?
6. Do you get symptoms after the procedure? I.e sore throat etc?
7. If I take a parent with me, will I be allowed to go straight home after I've done it? 'Cause I really don't like the thought of staying in a hospital for too long.
8. How many hours do you have to fast for before the procedure?

Thanks in advance!!
Hi,

I've had 3 endoscopies in the last 6 years. I haven't had bad experiences with any of them. The whole process was pretty quick and easy for me.

Some doctors will do the endoscopy with you awake. In my case, I had light sedation with all of them. Really, the worst part of everything was then they put the needle in for the IV and that really isn't bad at all.

My routine:
  • don't eat after midnight
  • show up on-time or early depending on what paperwork you need to finish
  • they take me back and ask some questions
  • I take off my shirt and bra and put on the gown. Everything else stays on.
  • they put in the needle for the IV
  • I go back to the exam room. Depending on the location, they may put you on the bed first and wheel you in or you may walk to the bed
  • They will hook up the IV. They then put a pulse-ox monitor on my finger and a couple pads on my chest so they can monitor my oxygen and heart. They also hook up a BP cuff so they can monitor that.
  • They have you roll over on your left side. The doctor comes in and talks to you one last time.
  • They will put a plastic ring between your lips/teeth to protect them and the equipment.
  • They then have you count to 5. I'm usually out well before that.
  • Next thing I know, I'm awake and they wheel me to 'recovery'
  • They have you sit there for a bit... 15 minutes or so. The doctor comes in to review his initial findings.
  • You can change clothes.
  • You must have someone there to take you home. If you want, they can usually wait with you in 'recovery' as well.
  • Usually in 'recovery' they will offer you something to drink.

Typically during the scope, they will take biopsies. This is standard, even if they don't see anything unusual. They may also take pictures so you can see what they saw.

It takes a couple week for the biopsies so they will most likely make a follow-up appointment to meet with you when those come back.

I've never had any problems afterwards. Some people say they have a bit of a sore throat, but that hasn't been an issue for me.

The entire process from getting there to leaving usually takes less than 1 1/2 hours for me. That includes all the typical wait times. The actual procedure is probably around 10 minutes or so, maybe 15 depending on what they find.

I usually make morning appointments and grab something to eat on my way home. That way, I'm not too hungry.

Good luck at your scope.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
(female)

HateGERD HB User

Hi;

I haven't had this procedure, but I took my Mom in for it.

My Mom said it was painless. She had a slight sore throat afterwards, but could leave immediately after the procedure. She did have to change into a gown. She did not get sick or gag. It only took about 20 minutes.

Hope this info helps!

Good luck! Best wishes!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Yeah its pretty easy and is as described above. I slept when I got home. I went ahead and had them test me for gluten. Intolerance since we were alresdy there and he checked for h pylori.

Cathy

Reply Reply

Tags
endoscopy, scared