It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
(male)

Troubledguy HB User
How accurate is the poo test for H Pylori??

Hi.

I have bad gastritis (self diagnosed) and I have had the poo test twice (both negative).

Someone at work told me that the poo test is not 100% accurate and the only way to be certain is via a sample taken during a scope procedure.

Now this guy likes to joke a lot and goads me that I am getting the scope next time I go to see the doctor. This guy has had the scope before so knows what he is talking about, but he does joke about my condition a lot, mainly due to being scared as hell about having the scope procedure.

I can keep my symptoms under control most times but recently I have been having a few flare ups and I am getting paranoid about my stomach.

If the poo test is 100% certain then I don't see any point of going through that awful procedure. All I will find out is what I already know.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User
Re: How accurate is the poo test for H Pylori??

Hi, I don't know how accurate the poo test is for H. Pylori, but it will only show if you have H. Pylori, it will not show whether or not you do have gastritis. You can have gastritis and not have H.Pylori, so that would be the point of the scope, which will take a biopsy and test for H.pylori, but will also be able to see the lining of your stomach and will tell you if you have any inflammation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
(male)

Troubledguy HB User

Hi Kacyc.

Yes I know that the H Pylori test won't tell me if I have Gastritis.

My gastritis was caused by my own stupid ways. I know what caused it. Too much drink.

I guess I will just have to live with it.

By the way have you had the scope?

Thanks.

Last edited by Troubledguy; 03-12-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

yes, I had the scope done last year!

Old 03-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
(male)

Troubledguy HB User

How was it? I'm really petrified about getting it done.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Obviously its not what I would choose to do, but you will be ok. I had no sedation, but you can have it if you want.

Why do you want the test done? Do you think you feel better and less paranoid once you know the condition of your stomach and whether you do have gastritis or not?

Old 03-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
(male)

Troubledguy HB User

Hi,

Yes. I really need to get it done to put my mind at rest. Whether I will or not is another matter.

I had a flare up two weeks ago and its getting better now and last year it was fine for a long period. I think I'm getting on top of it now, knowing my trigger foods and what to eat and when helps a lot.

If I have another flare up I will book a scope.

How are you doing at the moment? Did the scope come back all clear?

Old 03-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI, thanks for asking, my scope was fine, my problem now is rebound... that's another story!

I hope you continue to feel better and might not need to have the scope.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
(male)

Troubledguy HB User

Oh no rebound! Have you been on PPI's for a period of time then?

I have only been on PPI's for 1 month courses here and there. I have two weeks still in the draw but have to decided to try and heal naturally.

I'm feeling better today and seem to be getting back to normal. May start back on the green tea tomorrow. I also went for a run today - exercise helps a lot.

So now I just need to be sensible and THINK before putting any food into my mouth which I shouldn't.

Keep your chin up!!

Last edited by Troubledguy; 03-15-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was on them for about 9 months before I tried to get off them and got rebound. Been on them another year just trying to get off the damn stuff!

Reply Reply