It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
(female)

CidneyI HB User
I know these two have to be related somehow!

A few years ago, I started having acid reflux - Nexium seems to help with the painful symptoms but still seem to get that acid taste in my mouth at night.

Seems about the time I started with the reflux issue, I started having chronic sinus pressure and drainage. I am so tired of waking up with a sinus headache everyday. I have discovered some foods can set off a pretty bad attack of drainage and coughing. I have asked my doctor if the two could be related somehow and he just looks at me like I have lost my mind. I have had x-rays, gone to an ENT and had an MRI done to see if anything is wrong with my sinus cavity but the results came back as normal. I really think the acid reflux and the sinus drainage and pressure are connected somehow. I am so tired of them both!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: I know these two have to be related somehow!

Yup. You are correct. They can be related.

The acid can actually make it's way up into your sinuses and cause irritation. It is most often associated with "silent" reflux.

I had chronic sinus problems, allergies, asthma, and reflux. After reflux surgery in 2008, I saw a significant decrease in my reflux, asthma symptoms and sinus problems. I'd always blamed the sinus issues on the chronic allergies. Post reflux surgery, I went from having at least 4 sinus infections yearly to having less than one a year. Actually, I've had 2 minor sinus infections in the last 5 years. The way I figure it, per my norm, I should have had 20 infections in that same period. What a connection in my mind.

FYI. I work with an ENT, Gastroenterologist, Pulmonologist, and PCP to address my reflux issues since it impacts me in so many aspects.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply