It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
(male)

LukeJ92 HB User
Sensation of pill stuck in throat PLEASE HELP!

Hi all,
I'm 20 years old and a smoker.
Around 4 months ago I started getting a feeling like my throat was closing up, sort of tightening, it lasted around 4 weeks, I went to see my GP in fear that it was something serious, I had blood tests done for my thyroid profile and they came back all fine, I'm a VERY anxious person and I suffer with bad anxiety, when the tests came back all fine the problem went away and I was again a happy chappy but around a week ago I started getting a sensation in my throat just above my Adam's apple on the right side, it feels like there is a pill stuck there and no matter how much I swallow it just doesn't seem to go away, I went to see a doctor and he had a feel of my throat and said that my glands were swollen but that's all he could feel, he has scheduled an ultrasound to be done on my throat, I'm still waiting for the appointment, it's really weird because the feeling is pretty much non existent in the mornings but comes into play as the afternoon kicks in and gets worse throughout he day then dissaperes again at night, I've got a feeling it's something to do with reflux because after I eat or drink I almost instantly release a long burp and sometimes taste sick in my mouth, it's so worrying and I'm finding it really hard to sleep at night because I'm scared it's something serious, please help! Everyone thinks I'm crazy

Old 03-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
(female)

HateGERD HB User
Re: Sensation of pill stuck in throat PLEASE HELP!

Dear LukeJ92;

It sounds like maybe you are having a globus sensation. When you have acid reflux some of the acid can get into the throat and get on the larynx, which causes it to spasm. This creates a lump in the throat sensation that can feel like something is stuck there.

HateGERD

The Following User Says Thank You to HateGERD For This Useful Post:
LukeJ92 (03-20-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
(male)

LukeJ92 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HateGERD View Post
Dear LukeJ92;

It sounds like maybe you are having a globus sensation. When you have acid reflux some of the acid can get into the throat and get on the larynx, which causes it to spasm. This creates a lump in the throat sensation that can feel like something is stuck there.

HateGERD
I had a feeling it was a globus sensation and im sort of hoping it's nothing more than that, I'm just so scared of the C word coming into it, I've been trying so hard to quit smoking and I've cut down dramatically! Thanks for your time!

Old 03-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
(female)

HateGERD HB User

A quick way to clear up that worry is to go to an ENT DR. He or she can put a scope down your nose (quick and painless) to see your throat.

I had the this done when I had the globus sensation because I was convinced it was a cancerous lump too! And I've never smoked, so I understand your concern.

HateGERD

The Following User Says Thank You to HateGERD For This Useful Post:
LukeJ92 (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
(female)

peebles HB User

Hello there,

I signed up just to reply to this thread, as well as get some answers myself. I have been experiencing the exact same symptoms since September 2012. I recently came back from the ENT and I am hoping I can help by sharing my findings.

It all started back in September of last year when I had my worst acid attack. I never had that bad of an attack. I ate a large meal, went to bed somewhat early, and awoke an hour later with major heartburn, hiccuping, and the sensation of a giant golfball somewhere along the esophagus. I went to see a doctor a few weeks later and he prescribed me with Zantac 300mg to take every night (to reduce acid from splashing up). It didn't do anything to relieve the sensation but it worked wonders in keeping the reflux at bay (although I don't have acid reflux too bad most days anyway). Doctors don't know what to say and basically chalk it up to "anxiety" (which I also suffer from). To that I say B.S. Apparently this chalking it up to anxiety is a bit of an outdated response by doctors who don't know what else to call it. If it were so simple, I would have cured it on the days I am the most calm, not thinking of it at all, playing with the dog, etc.

So, like you, I have been having this sensation of something in my throat, call it a lump or what have you, almost like a tightening of the throat/esophagus is occurring, but for some reason, it is not noticeable while swallowing. Actually, it's usually most noticeable seconds after eating or on an empty stomach. Having to burp makes it more noticeable. As a sidenote, I have been having a sore right tonsil, and that seems to play a role in directing all my attention to my throat to begin with!

After recently seeing an ENT who looked down my throat with a flexible thin tube with a light on the end, he said he couldn't see much if anything that would be causing the problem. I have a slighted deviated septum which might be the cause of my post nasal drip (that has gotten quite bad recently). He couldn't offer any other advice than to see my doctor for more information on keeping acid reflux under wraps.

And that was that. You think seeing an ENT would solve all my problems. Nope, it is still there annoying as hell LOL.

However, I am on a mission to figure this thing out. My brother in loaw suffers from a problem where he will eat too quickly, often without liquids, and he will get s sensation of food being stuck in his esophasgus. I don't have this problem, but it is similar, and we both figure spasm is to blame there. It must be a spasm/narrowing of the esophagus clamping down on the swallowed food, while not choking, it sure can feel like he's choking! So I started to wonder if I also have esophageal spasming going on. I am guessing not since I wake up with the globus sensation and it is continuous all day.

My best guess is that it truly is GERD at night, possibly hiatial hernia (just a guess here, it runs in my family), and the back flow of acid is aggravating my esophagus.

So this is my next course of action. To see my doctor and ask to be put on a PPI (proton pump inhibitor). I will report back if that helps.

In the meantime, could you continue to post your findings as they occur? Best to brainstorm I say!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
(male)

LukeJ92 HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebles View Post
Hello there,

I signed up just to reply to this thread, as well as get some answers myself. I have been experiencing the exact same symptoms since September 2012. I recently came back from the ENT and I am hoping I can help by sharing my findings.

It all started back in September of last year when I had my worst acid attack. I never had that bad of an attack. I ate a large meal, went to bed somewhat early, and awoke an hour later with major heartburn, hiccuping, and the sensation of a giant golfball somewhere along the esophagus. I went to see a doctor a few weeks later and he prescribed me with Zantac 300mg to take every night (to reduce acid from splashing up). It didn't do anything to relieve the sensation but it worked wonders in keeping the reflux at bay (although I don't have acid reflux too bad most days anyway). Doctors don't know what to say and basically chalk it up to "anxiety" (which I also suffer from). To that I say B.S. Apparently this chalking it up to anxiety is a bit of an outdated response by doctors who don't know what else to call it. If it were so simple, I would have cured it on the days I am the most calm, not thinking of it at all, playing with the dog, etc.

So, like you, I have been having this sensation of something in my throat, call it a lump or what have you, almost like a tightening of the throat/esophagus is occurring, but for some reason, it is not noticeable while swallowing. Actually, it's usually most noticeable seconds after eating or on an empty stomach. Having to burp makes it more noticeable. As a sidenote, I have been having a sore right tonsil, and that seems to play a role in directing all my attention to my throat to begin with!

After recently seeing an ENT who looked down my throat with a flexible thin tube with a light on the end, he said he couldn't see much if anything that would be causing the problem. I have a slighted deviated septum which might be the cause of my post nasal drip (that has gotten quite bad recently). He couldn't offer any other advice than to see my doctor for more information on keeping acid reflux under wraps.

And that was that. You think seeing an ENT would solve all my problems. Nope, it is still there annoying as hell LOL.

However, I am on a mission to figure this thing out. My brother in loaw suffers from a problem where he will eat too quickly, often without liquids, and he will get s sensation of food being stuck in his esophasgus. I don't have this problem, but it is similar, and we both figure spasm is to blame there. It must be a spasm/narrowing of the esophagus clamping down on the swallowed food, while not choking, it sure can feel like he's choking! So I started to wonder if I also have esophageal spasming going on. I am guessing not since I wake up with the globus sensation and it is continuous all day.

My best guess is that it truly is GERD at night, possibly hiatial hernia (just a guess here, it runs in my family), and the back flow of acid is aggravating my esophagus.

So this is my next course of action. To see my doctor and ask to be put on a PPI (proton pump inhibitor). I will report back if that helps.

In the meantime, could you continue to post your findings as they occur? Best to brainstorm I say!
Mine is a little different from yours, I don't really notice mine unless I swallow, I have an acid taste in my mouth sometimes too!
Most times Mine is pretty much non existent in the morning when I wake up, i wake up at 5:30am for work and it's not there, it starts to kick in around 10:30am and then begins to disappear around 6pm it's really strange, I panic a lot in fear of having a cancerous lump in my throat but my theory is that it would probably be a continuous feeling if it was cancer and also I'm only 20 so I doubt this is the cause, I have health anxiety and I think every little thing is going to kill me, it sometimes completely takes the fun out of my day! I hate it so much and I wish it would just go away!
I feel your pain don't worry!
I've only had blood work done. I'm scheduled for an ultrasound on my throat soon and ill let you know how that goes!
Try to relax!
This is worth a try...

Calm down. Globus hystericus is the feeling of a lump in your throat when nothing is really there. It is a psychosomatic disorder.

Warm your neck. Place a warm cloth or piece of flannel on your neck for about a minute. This will help relax the muscles in your neck and throat.

Straighten up. Once you have removed the warm cloth, stand against a wall or sit on a chair with a straight back. Tilt your head back so you're looking at the ceiling; hold this for about five seconds.

Roll your head left and right while still looking at the ceiling, maintaining the stretch in your throat. Take about five seconds to complete the roll; do this 10 times.

Massage your neck. Using one or both of your hands, firmly massage lengthwise the muscles that run down your neck on each side of your Adam's apple for about two minutes. After the massage, roll your head again five times, then relax for a few minutes before continuing with your day.

The Following User Says Thank You to LukeJ92 For This Useful Post:
peebles (04-05-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
(male)

LukeJ92 HB User
Hello Peebles!
I truly understand your pain here!
I had the sensation of someone wrapping their hands around my throat a few months ago but I truly think that was down to anxiety because after just relaxing for a few weeks and telling myself it was all in my head it just went on its own!
But this sensation I'm getting now is really strange. its scarring the heck out of me and takes all the fun out of my days!
I hope to find answers when I go for my ultrasound!
I'll keep you posted, stay calm and try to relax!

Last edited by mod85; 03-21-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
(female)

Casey31 HB User

This sounds like what's happening to me lately. Just started in the last week or so... I'm self diagnosing here because three trips to the doctor have me wondering why I bother- but I think it's esophageal spasm. They can be brought on by drinking hot and cold beverages and it starts because of acid redux or GERD. this is why I've gathered from the Internet and watching my symptoms. It's hard not to panicking when you feel like our throat is closing and I don't suffer from too much anxiety but I do get very anxious when it comes to my health but the health problem usually starts first then comes the anxiety. I'm looking for a GI doctor- he:she would be the one to diagnose a GERD, esophageal issue. From what I can tell and also from the nurse at the ER just this morning. The doctor I saw thought I was being a hypochondriac- but the nurse told me she actually was having the same problem, after many doctors and test finally found out it was an esophageal thing. All these symptoms sounded very close to line so that's my next stop... Hope that helps!

Old 03-22-2013, 03:09 AM   #9
(male)

LukeJ92 HB User
Thank you! Sometimes it ruins my day to the extent I wish I was still asleep because that's the only time it goes unnoticed!

Old 03-22-2013, 03:17 AM   #10
(female)

Casey31 HB User

It's an awful feeling. And believe me I know what you mean about it ruining your day! Happened to me yesterday when I missed work and panicked just all the way to the ER. Panicking makes is 10 times worse! Do you drink coffee? That might make it act up in the morning or maybe you're eating something too hot? I'm pretty sure anything too hot or too cold makes mine really kick in and I literally feel like I'm being chocked or I swallowed a golf ball. I haven't seen a doctor about my theory yet since I didn't really know what was going on until yesterday but I did pick up some acid reducers to take in the morning and at night. Are you taking any? Do you get chest pains too?

Old 03-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #11
(male)

LukeJ92 HB User
Ive been taking acid reducers after meals since yesterday night! Mine hasn't been bad at all today, I've been chewing gum and that seems to have eased it so much! You should try it!

Old 03-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
(male)

LukeJ92 HB User
Let me just update this for everyone feeling the same thing as me!

Yesterday I bought some rennie tabs and started taking them after meals, this morning I woke up and decided to pick up a few packs of gum on my way to work, let me tell you this combination of rennie tabs and gum has really bought A LOT of gas out of me, earlier on I released a burp that literally lasted about 10 seconds LOL! It instantly took the lump sensation away and now I'm just left with a slight burning sensation at the back of my mouth which is LOADS better than feeling a lump! I'm hoping this is the end of this and it was just a load of trapped gas! I'll keep you updated!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LukeJ92 For This Useful Post:
sadgirl74 (04-13-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #13
(female)

peebles HB User

Hi everybody,

Sorry for not replying sooner... I actually had a brief week or so where the Globus sensation went away, which was really nice. I have a few notes to share because this last while I have kept a journal of my observations and triggers.

Now, not all of us have the exact same symptom, but that doesn't mean we don't all have the same issue or a similar issue. what helps one person my very well help another. I appreciate these health boards for that very reason and appreciate the input received from you guys.

So, some findings I would like to share:

- I don't get classic heartburn. I get a sore throat or the Globus/lump in throat sensation. This appears to be classic LPRD or silent reflux. Your experiences and sensation may differ.
- Mine is triggered by eating too much or eating too fast. Recently it was triggered by eating two large bowls of cereal and drinking a whole bunch of water quickly.
- Coffee (if I have it with skim milk) doesn't seem to bother me but eating bran buds with milk funny enough will bother me and cause the sensation.
- I started taking omprezole on a trial basis. So far it has seemed to help. From what I understand it shuts down acid production.
- I take half a 150mg pill of Zantac to prevent issues (often after that bowl of bran)
- When I have the Globus, I have the burping. It reeeaaallly feels like that valve (properly called the esophagul sphincter) is not working as it should during those episodes.

So, if there was a way to get my abnormally functionally sphincter to work as normal again... I bet the throat lump would go away.

Anyway no big progress to report. just trying to figure this thing out!

Luke, your suggestions are definitely helpful, thanks for those. Gum sure helps. Also fisherman friends lozenges help my post nasal drip and ease my throat clearing at the same time.

But I am curious, what precipitated your guys' issues? Mine was that bad acid attack after eating a big meal then following up with a stupid metamucil drink and water :-( (again the over eating or over watering coming into play).

Did you guys see an ENT yet? They put a flexible tube down my nose and I was relived when he said it looked pretty normal. This goes a long way to easing your concerns re: the lump feeling. I do recommend it.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #14
(female)

peebles HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey31 View Post
It's an awful feeling. And believe me I know what you mean about it ruining your day! Happened to me yesterday when I missed work and panicked just all the way to the ER. Panicking makes is 10 times worse! Do you drink coffee? That might make it act up in the morning or maybe you're eating something too hot? I'm pretty sure anything too hot or too cold makes mine really kick in and I literally feel like I'm being chocked or I swallowed a golf ball. I haven't seen a doctor about my theory yet since I didn't really know what was going on until yesterday but I did pick up some acid reducers to take in the morning and at night. Are you taking any? Do you get chest pains too?

Hi Casey,

So you have the lump sensation as well? It really seems to me to be silent reflux. But it may not be, it's just the one that matches all my symptoms. I have the sore throat (from acid back flow), I don't get classic heartburn, I get the burping when it is most episodic, and the recent trial of PPIs has reduced the feeling. So, for me, it is silent reflux or LPRD.

I don't get chest pains but I get them one or twice a year only when I get a really bad acid attack. I still drink coffee but soon I will quit that to see of it helps. I don't smoke. I try to drink a lot of water (especially now when the LPRD gives me dry mouth symptoms). The thing I hate more than the lump sensation itself is the sore throat. The ENT explained that as being directly attributable to the acid back flow. I should probably elevate the head of my bed too... but not sure how to do that without annoying the boyfriend LOL.

Anyway I look forward to hearing back from you guys.

Take care!

Old 04-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #15
(female)

sadgirl74 HB Usersadgirl74 HB User

prob. is GAS

Reply Reply

Tags
acid, pill, reflux symptoms, throat