It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
(female)

gtnbtr HB User
Nissen fundoplication

My doctor has suggested a Nissen fundoplication. If you have had one, was it worth it? how long did it take you to recover? can you burp? I am very scared about this, but I am so uncomfortable with long standing gerd.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:31 AM   #2
(male)

Jays886 HB User
Re: Nissen fundoplication

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnbtr View Post
My doctor has suggested a Nissen fundoplication. If you have had one, was it worth it? how long did it take you to recover? can you burp? I am very scared about this, but I am so uncomfortable with long standing gerd.
Hello there- just saw your post. I just had this operation 4 months to this very day. I had my operation because I had gerd and Barretts Esophagaus and was told I needed PPI therapy for the rest of my life to protect my Esophagaus from my stomach acid ( I'm only 37). I decided to get the surgery because long continued use of those drugs are not good for u.
As far as recovery- I can burp just fine, I feel relatively well, and I'm happy with my results thus far. The first week is tough because of the soreness (manageable with pain meds. The second week is a little better nd you start to feel more back to normal. The 3rd and 4th week I starte to turn a big corner and really noticed a great difference with everything. Now- u have to stick to the soft diet- as long as u do healing will be much easier. Healing as a whole can take up to 6 months ( from what I read) but after the first 2 weeks things really start to get better.
Overall I'm really happy I got the surgery. I was on the PPI meds for 2 months and there was simply no upside to continue taking them. I lay here in bed typing this with no acid reflux or pain whatsoever!!!!! In fact I was with my mom this very moment one month ago driving to the hospital - time does fly. Get the surgery- no worries, you'll thank yourself!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jays886 For This Useful Post:
gtnbtr (03-22-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
(female)

gtnbtr HB User

oh, thanks so much, you make me feel so much better! I almost feel excited!

Old 03-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I had mine in 2008 after lifestyle changes and medications stopped working and my acid reflux became life threatening. I still have a few symptoms occassionally, but overall, I'm 1000% better than I was.

The surgery doesn't 'fix' your acid reflux. It does help if you have a weak LES though.

As for recovery, I felt better after a few weeks. By 3 months, I was pretty much back to normal. I still cut my food in smaller bites and chew my food well though.

I actually belched a bit at first, but my surgeon said it was air that wasn't making it past my wrap. I don't belch much now. Actually, I don't pay attention to it. I'm just at a 'normal'.

I worry a lot about the not being able to vomit thing. I've had some unpleasant post-surgical nausea that wouldn't come up on the last year, but nausea meds helped. I did have a nasty bout of stomach flu a few years ago and was so sick I had no problems vomiting.

If you are interested in my story, you will find a bunch of posts starting in October 2008.

Wishing you well.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
(female)

gtnbtr HB User

Do you know if there is a difference from how they did the surgery a few years ago and now? and if there is any difference in the outcome?

Old 03-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #6
(male)

Jays886 HB User

Not sure, I will say that if anything the methods have probably been refined and tweaked (for the better). On my last post I didn't want to sound like everything was a walk in the park (as I still have some minor complications)- but as a whole I'm extremely happy I went through with the operation.
My current symptoms are "squealing" in my throat when I swallow (no pain), a slight feeling of reflux in my chest (relieved by burping), and a slight dull pain in the surgical site from time to time.
Since Mountain reader has been long recovered - hopefully it can be assured to me (as I'm relatively new in this journey) that my symptoms are in fact normal??? I know healing will take months for overall satisfaction- its just good to hear from other people their experiences.
All in all- I'm really happy with my recovery to date

Old 03-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #7
(male)

Jays886 HB User

Not sure, I will say that if anything the methods have probably been refined and tweaked (for the better). On my last post I didn't want to sound like everything was a walk in the park (as I still have some minor complications)- but as a whole I'm extremely happy I went through with the operation.
My current symptoms are "squealing" in my throat when I swallow (no pain), a slight feeling of reflux in my chest (relieved by burping), and a slight dull pain in the surgical site from time to time.
Since Mountain reader has been long recovered - hopefully it can be assured to me (as I'm relatively new in this journey) that my symptoms are in fact normal??? I know healing will take months for overall satisfaction- its just good to hear from other people their experiences.
All in all- I'm really happy with my recovery to date

Old 03-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
(male)

Davesport HB User

Is there significant erosion of your esophugus or does the reflux cause you to have problems breathing. I had the surgery in 2008 and it solved those problems. An otherwise healthy 41 year old, I was considered a good candidate for the fundoplication. Due to other complications during the surgery I wish I would have tried a more homeopathic approach first, such as getting gut bacteria and stress under control.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #9
(male)

Jays886 HB User

Mountain reader I have a question.....
The reason why I got the Nissen is because of my Barrett's Esophagus ( NO DYS). When I was getting biopsied the first time they found .5 short segment barrett's. At that time I was told I needed PPI therapy for the rest of my life....... So I got the Nissen to prevent not only acid reflux - but Bile reflux as well. My surgeon before surgery told me that once I have the Nissen I wont need to continue PPI therapy. After hearing this I was so relieved!!!! Fast Forward - yesterday I met with a Gastro Dr to set up future surveillance along with some insight with my healing and he told me that I DO in fact need to get back on PPI therapy for the rest of my life ??!!!
Who do I believe? Who's right and who's wrong? Have you heard any conflicting data regarding this matter?

Old 03-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays886 View Post
Mountain reader I have a question.....
The reason why I got the Nissen is because of my Barrett's Esophagus ( NO DYS). When I was getting biopsied the first time they found .5 short segment barrett's. At that time I was told I needed PPI therapy for the rest of my life....... So I got the Nissen to prevent not only acid reflux - but Bile reflux as well. My surgeon before surgery told me that once I have the Nissen I wont need to continue PPI therapy. After hearing this I was so relieved!!!! Fast Forward - yesterday I met with a Gastro Dr to set up future surveillance along with some insight with my healing and he told me that I DO in fact need to get back on PPI therapy for the rest of my life ??!!!
Who do I believe? Who's right and who's wrong? Have you heard any conflicting data regarding this matter?
The Nissen Fundoplication procedure isn't a 'cure'. By wrapping the stomach around the esophagus, it contracts and helps keep stuff from coming up. Basically, it helps do some of what our weak lower esophageal sphincters are no longer doing. For most people, the surgery does enough that they are able to discontinue the PPI's. I think that is the most typical case for the majority of those who have a NF.

I know I'm in the minority. In my case, going off of PPI's has never been an option. I knew going into the surgery that I'd be on PPI's the rest of my life per my GI doc, not the surgeon. I consider the surgery a resounding success. I literally had life threatening breathing problems from the acid reflux irritating my lungs. I haven't had problems that severe since the surgery. Most of the time, my acid reflux comes up in a gaseous form isn't as easy for the NF to stop. The PPI's help keep this in check.

I've had 2 pH tests since my NF. A Restech upper pH test a couple years ago confirmed I still had gaseous reflux occuring. I had a traditional one last December though that came back "normal" for the most part. (I had few incidents of refluxing (both acid and non-acid), but those I did have lasted 1 1/2-2 minutes each.) During recent visits with my GI doc and my Pulmonologist they basically told me the same thing. Even though the most recent pH test came back normal, "we all know you still have acid reflux problems". It just didn't show up on that day. Neither one wanted me to cut back on the PPI's at all. I want to get off of them, but it is a challenge and I'm not really expecting to be off of them any time soon.

I will share that an upper endoscopy and biopsies I had in December came back normal so I'm still happy there.

From the research I've done, the amount of "success" of the NF can often depend on the symptoms you had prior to surgery. Barrett's can become pretty serious if untreated so I'm guessing your doctor is being extra careful in your case.

I wish you well,
MountainReader

Old 06-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
(male)

Frumquist HB User

On 7/2/13 Iím going in for a Hybrid Hill/Nissen Fundoplication surgery. Supposedly combines the best of both procedures. After way too many years of heartburn, cough, hoarseness, and regurgitation, all of the tests indicate a fundoplication is appropriate. Thought about the new Linx system but my doc has massive experience with fundoplications so Iím going that route. Also, Linx just seemed too new. Hopefully procedures and recovery experiences keep getting better...

Reply Reply