HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acid Reflux / GERD (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/)
-   -   Throat and ear pain Please help (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/945408-throat-ear-pain-please-help.html)

valthegal 04-05-2013 04:46 PM

Throat and ear pain Please help

I have been having problems with the feeling of something stuck in my throat and bad pain in my neck on the left side and ear pain on my left side. The pain on my left side comes and goes but when it comes it is major pain and last several days even weeks. I take a ppi blocker because doctor thought I may have acid reflux but I never have heartburn or reflux. I had an egd done yesterday and the doctor told me I have a hital hernia very small and an inflammed stomach. Could this be causing my throat and ear pain? I'm worried I have something more serious wrong with my throat. This has been going on for 7 months now. At one time I was eating a granola bar and a piece got stuck in my throat for a day and a half. This happened months ago. Could it be that I have silent reflux and it comes up and inflames the left side of my throat and that causes the bad ear pain? My doctor told me my esophagus looked good no damage. Looking for any help. My throat stays so dry all the time I blame it on the dry air in my house but don't know.

the ranger 04-05-2013 09:29 PM

Re: Throat and ear pain Please help

If i was you i would get a second opinion.Ppis have all kinds of side effects.Good luck.

peebles 04-05-2013 11:49 PM

I have been having ear and tonsil pain. Any chance it is one of your tonsils? I found that I never had tonsil issues until I recently developed post nasal drip and silent reflux. Both issues caused continuous mild but at times stabbing ear pain and itchiness, as well as tonsil pain and redness. I recommend getting a magnifying mirror and light and looking back there. if it is not your tonsil(s) the it could be Eustachian tube dysfunction or a problem with drainage (which I have had and results in squeaky ear, or sound of sticky stuff in there when you move your jaw).

Keep us updated please?

TEdds83 04-08-2013 09:40 PM

I have the same thing and I have silent reflux and post nasal drip from my allergies. They both play off of each other. Tonight I have a sore throat from it. It is so annoying. I would recommend keeping them both under control by treating them with meds. Check for food allergies too. Good luck!

peebles 04-20-2013 07:58 PM

So, I didn't want to reply until I had something of real worth to add. Now I feel I might have something that could really help everyone... so over the past month, I have come across a few more tidbits that may shed light on this unholy trinity of Globus sensation, post nasal, and burning throat/hoarseness/irritation...
I was reading a detailed post by an individual complaining of the same symptoms, give or take a few details (reports will vary from individual to individual, which is understandable, as we each have different problem spots or problem areas). But to make a long story short... the poster concluded that he or she must have LPR hypersensitivity. I am beginning to think I have the same thing and that perhaps some here do as well.

I did a trial run of one week on PPIs, omprezole, to be exact. Taking the PPIs helped the globus but I knew they weren't the magic bullet I was seeking because the burning and post nasal has reared it's ugly head again. Sure enough, once the bottle was done, five days later, the post nasal and the burning was back. However, this time I couldn't think of anything that could have triggered it, except for having a bowl of fruit salad late one night and then lying down too soon afterwards... but still, I didn't have classic heartburn after the fruit bowl, just minor irritation in the back of the throat. The next morning I woke up okay, but it was just before lunch that the symptoms took hold again. As I type this now, I still have irritation/light burning in my throat. Again, no acidity from what I can tell. Also, as a Sidenote I got off of the ranitidine and started cimetidine (300mg) twice a day and that has been helpful. I take my second pill at night in case I do have night time reflux. But the ranitidine was giving me weird side effects like vertigo and dizziness.

Anyway... I noticed something... the irritation/throat burning will go away suddenly out of the blue, for no good reason (which leads me to believe it is hypersensitive nerves at work here). For example drinking a warm, NOT HOT, herbal tea and relaxing/taking my mind of it will help it.

So, as far as I am concerned, I am in the middle of a bad nerve flare up and this theory of it being hypersensitive nerves is beginning to make sense. The ENT said he didn't see anything of concern when looking at my throat and esophagus, however, he did diagnose me with silent reflux/LPR. The ENT did mention throat nerves play a role. I wish he would have elaborated on that more. This lends credibility to the theory that *some* of us may be experiencing LPR with or without nerve hypersensitivity (of the throat, or esophagus, or elsewhere even, nerve damage of some sort and your problem area may differ). It is technically called irritable esophagitis but your ENT and/or GI may call it something else.

To sum up, the poster started taking an antidepressant that heals these damaged nerves. I believe the antidepressant is Elavil and the original thread can be found by googling LPR hypersensitivity and will be of interest to those who are interested in researching this further.

I don't know about you, but the more I mull it over, the more it makes sense that somehow the nerves or nerve pathway can get damaged badly enough to bother us and it then starts to command all of our waking attention. Inhave seen similar threads of people complaining of a constant burning, sore throat, acidity of the esophagitis, vapor sensation, you name it... and I cannot help but wonder, for those who don't have Barrett's or something more serious, if it is mostly nerve damage at play here.

I am so sorry for the long essay tonight. But I look forward to hearing what others think.

peebles 04-20-2013 08:14 PM

Hi valthegal,

I just re-read your post tonight and I am amazed by how similar, if not identical, our issues are. Thank goodness for this forum because I am on a mission, with the help of my doctor, to figure these wretched symptoms out.

I just posted a new reply to your thread, please see my post and let me know what you think. I am going to talk to my doctor soon (I wont be able to see her for a month at least) but when I see her I will mention Elavil or some potential medication that will help heal the nerves of the throat and esophagus. It is worth the try. And if that doesn't fix it, I will be seeing a new ENT.

Can you do me a favor? I have started a journal and I am going to write down what triggers the pain or burning (you get it on the left side and my problem spot is my right side tonsil area, actually I can see streaks of red, they are small and thin and just visible in the tonsil area). And I will write down my observations. At the end of the month I will post them all here. But it is interesting throughout the day it will spontaneously go away, no meds, nothing, will just be relaxing with tea. Just fades out. Do you get that as well?

P.S. I wonder sometimes if I have a hiatal hernia. My Aunt had it. Inhave not been tested for not yet but I know my Aunt had lots of heartburn, especially at night from it. My opinion is yes it could be helping to push food contents and oerhaps acid further up the esophagus. Is it sliding hernia?

[QUOTE=valthegal;5157762]I have been having problems with the feeling of something stuck in my throat and bad pain in my neck on the left side and ear pain on my left side. The pain on my left side comes and goes but when it comes it is major pain and last several days even weeks. I take a ppi blocker because doctor thought I may have acid reflux but I never have heartburn or reflux. I had an egd done yesterday and the doctor told me I have a hital hernia very small and an inflammed stomach. Could this be causing my throat and ear pain? I'm worried I have something more serious wrong with my throat. This has been going on for 7 months now. At one time I was eating a granola bar and a piece got stuck in my throat for a day and a half. This happened months ago. Could it be that I have silent reflux and it comes up and inflames the left side of my throat and that causes the bad ear pain? My doctor told me my esophagus looked good no damage. Looking for any help. My throat stays so dry all the time I blame it on the dry air in my house but don't know.[/QUOTE]

kgreen1210 05-22-2014 12:47 PM

Hello,

I was wondering how your symptoms are now, as I am having the same type of issues on the right side?

peebles 06-26-2014 02:30 PM

Hi kgreen,

Sorry, I did not see your reply as I have not logged in for some time.

How are your symptoms now? Care to elaborate more? Can you tell us when your issues started and what helps to improve said symptoms?

Be well!
-peebles :-):cool:

[QUOTE=kgreen1210;5292170]Hello,

I was wondering how your symptoms are now, as I am having the same type of issues on the right side?[/QUOTE]